cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ford F-350 PS DRW Towing

baggy_pants
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have a front lounge FW yet but planing on the worst case scenario, 40' - 42', GVWR #16,000 and loaded tongue weight of @ 4000 lbs. We'll be full timing so I'll probably overload it. If Im reading the towing charts right an F-350 PS DRW with 3:73 gears won't do it until 2011. Not planning on doing a lot of traveling just snow birds but that could change once we get into it, want to be prepared. Am I interpreting this right? Thanks
20 REPLIES 20

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

I think that the F-450 pickups will all be 4X4, but I am not sure on the older ones. F-450 cab and chassis are in 2 WD, but not the F-450 pickup body from the factory. Not to say you will not find a 2WD F-450 made from a cab and chassis.

I would rather have a toolbox body on a cab and chassis F-450, with the rear 40 gallon tank, and then install a new midship 53 gallon fuel tank from Transferflow.com This would give me about 900 miles of capacity while towing, and the ability to travel from state to state, and park the trailer before going to buy fuel. Not so that I can drive 45 hours straight, but to not need to tow the fifth wheel into a gas station!

You might not end up liking the older F-350's though. The 2011 came with a brand new engine design, and it has proven to be a great engine so far. It has a completely new design, the fresh air goes into the sides of the engine, while the exhaust goes out the center, directly into the turbocharger. This reduced Noise, Vibration, Harshness. Ford calls it reduced NVH.

If you do pick a 2008 - 2010 F-350, then make sure that it gets a engine coolant filter installed as soon as possible. That engine will be noisy compared to the 2011 and later engines. I would stay away from the 6 liter International engines. They where in the 2003 - 2006/7 trucks.

The F-450 normally came with a 4.30:1 rear axle ratio. If you are looking for optimal fuel mileage, you probably will not find that in the F-450. But it will have plenty of power!

Good luck on your search!

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not sure of the last year of the problem probed 6.0 PSD but I'd stay away from it.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
baggy pants wrote:
Golden_HVAC wrote:
What year Ford are you looking at?

Here is a place to get the towing guides for each year.

http://www.fleet.ford.com/towing-guides/

Why are you specific about the 3.73:1 rear axle, while not specific about the model year? If you will be buying used, you will get what they ordered, not what you want, unless it is the same as the installed several years ago.

Good luck!

Fred.

I was looking for preowned prior to 2011 but their towing capacities aren't as much as the 2011 and up. 3:73's for a little economy.

Forget about economy, there isn't any towing.
My 09 has 3.73 and as far a capacity are you talking GVW or GCVW? I'm under on all axles truck and trailer, under truck GVW by 500# but over Fords recommended GCVW.
If your really concerned look for a pre 2011 F450 with 4:10's and figure that's the cost to play.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

baggy_pants
Explorer
Explorer
Golden_HVAC wrote:

Why are you specific about the 3.73:1 rear axle, while not specific about the model year? If you will be buying used, you will get what they ordered, not what you want, unless it is the same as the installed several years ago.

Good luck!

Fred.

I was looking for preowned prior to 2011 but their towing capacities aren't as much as the 2011 and up. 3:73's for a little economy.

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Truck in sig which is fully optioned out has 13,000 gvw. Ready to tow full fuel, hitch, DW and dog it weighs 9,300 which allows 3,700 for pin wt. Actual pin wt. on 5er 3,200.
Without 4x4 you would pickup more payload.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer

Good luck!

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com