cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Forest River Wildwood 26TBSS or Jayco SLX 267BHSW

revdwheel
Explorer
Explorer
I am about to take the plunge and buy my first travel trailer.

I can buy a brand new 2015 Jayco 267 BHSW for $16,900 hitch/sway included. Of course, this includes Jayco's 2 year warranty.

I can buy a 2014 Forest River Wildwood 26TBSS for $14,500 hitch/sway included. It is immaculate for a used trailer. Includes also all sheets for beds, linens, 32" LCD TV. Also 2.5 years left on bumper/bumper extended warranty that is transferrable.

What is the better value?

I like both equally. Except, it does seem nice on the Forest River to have the remote control/electric jacks, awning, and slide.

Thoughts?

David
25 REPLIES 25

HJGyswyt
Explorer
Explorer
Too late James, he already bought the Jayco. Have fun with your new trailer Revdwheel. Hope you use it lots, and the boys are around long enough to enjoy camping with the folks. All the best.
2003 GMC 2500HD CC Longbox SW/2002 Wilcat Bunkhouse 30'
/1987 Western Wildderness 11' Alpine Truck Camper/1971 MacGregor Venture Sailboat

Rig Pictures, click on this link.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

jamesbeam4ever
Explorer
Explorer
i gaurentee if you buy the wild wood youll regret it. our camping buddys got one brand new cuz it was cheap and it started fallin apart they day they got it and hasnt stopped.id go back to a tent before id even look at a wild wood. itd be way less headaches.

jamesbeam4ever
Explorer
Explorer
i gaurentee if you buy the wild wood youll regret it. our camping buddys got one brand new cuz it was cheap and it started fallin apart they day they got it and hasnt stopped.id go back to a tent before id even look at a wild wood. itd be way less headaches.

revdwheel
Explorer
Explorer
we are planning a trip for this next week... it is spring break for our family. wife is a teacher. 2 boys in high school. pondering a beach camping trip... maybe Texas coast.

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Congratulations on the purchase and I hope you are on the road soon and enjoying your first camping trip with the new trailer. There's nothing like starting with a new unit and then making it your home on wheels as time goes by.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Congrats on the new trailer now get out and enjoy it.

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats! I totally agree on the double bunks. Hadn't noticed the sink being outside the bathroom, but that's certainly a good feature. Now, come on warm weather!!!
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

RDMueller
Explorer
Explorer
We are on our 2nd Forest River now. First was a Flagstaff pup we had for about 5 years and never had any problems with. Just bought a new Wildwood TT and am totally satisfied with it so far. I looked at a few Jaycos as well and IMHO, build quality was similar. I'd say get the one you like the best.
Rob and Julie
2015 Forest River Wildwood 28DBUD
2001 Dodge Ram 2500, 24V Cummins 5.9

heckufaguy
Explorer
Explorer
revdwheel wrote:
the reason WE ARE BUYING THE JAYCO besides the financial, more long term resale issue--

1) The sink is outside the bathroom-- so someone can be showering while another is using the sink and mirror in a separate room/area.

2) The double/full size bunks are much more suitable for our teenage boys and also not as cramped in general as the triple bunk in the FR.

3) The water tanks are MUCH larger on the Jayco.

there are others-- but these 3 were huge.

Sound similar to our gulfstream. I personally like the sink in the bathroom until my wife pointed out the obvious. Both our bunks are full sized, and we went to 51 gallons of fresh. That's at LEAST 2 more nice showers than our 40 gal. Or, one more day without dumping the grey, minimum.

Congrats on your purchase!

revdwheel
Explorer
Explorer
the reason WE ARE BUYING THE JAYCO besides the financial, more long term resale issue--

1) The sink is outside the bathroom-- so someone can be showering while another is using the sink and mirror in a separate room/area.

2) The double/full size bunks are much more suitable for our teenage boys and also not as cramped in general as the triple bunk in the FR.

3) The water tanks are MUCH larger on the Jayco.

there are others-- but these 3 were huge.

tomkaren13
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for letting us know of your decision

revdwheel
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. I really do appreciate all the different perspectives. After doing a spreadsheet and some research-- financially, even though the Jayco will cost me more up front-- the fact it is a 2015 at at 28% under MSRP puts us in a better financial place in 2-3 years than getting the 2014 used FR.

The FR depreciates considerably faster than the Jayco after studying market trends and NADA values over time with similar models.

also-- in my area, there are more people looking for Jaycos than selling them (used market).

I pulled the trigger and bought the Jayco. the deal is being funded tomorrow by my credit union.

I am sure I would have enjoyed the FR. But after looking a little more closely at resale value, etc.-- and also the warranty plans-- along with where each warranty would be serviced-- I am feeling confident in my decision.

I look forward to other topics and more discussion.

Again-- I pulled the trigger-- so be nice!

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Not going to get into the financial discussion...that's you're decision, not mine. I can tell you we are on our second Rockwood product and very happy with both. The first was a ROO HTT and now the Rockwood 2604. No problems. Ordinarily I always lean toward the FR products based on our experience but just preferred a couple of items in the Jayco. FR is a good trailer and if you're happy with the layout and amenities, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. Whichever, happy camping!
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
revdwheel wrote:
great input here from everyone. I just found out that I can get the FR for $13,750 after some more haggling.

I hear what you all are saying both accounts. My budget is fairly tight, however... and with my credit union, I get a great interest rate, but the longest they'll go is 10 years. So, about $35-40 month less on the FR is weighing heavily in my mind at this point.

I do however realize that Jayco may help recoop some of the cost if it holds up better. gosh. decisions, decisions!

Each person's financial situation is their own business. If you were one of my kids or a good friend, I'd be suggesting that it's not a good idea to finance a $13,000 trailer for 10 years unless the interest rate is only 1 or 2%. Consider looking for an RV that you can pay for in 5 years. Buying a used trailer, then financing it for 10 years could put you in a situation where you have to unload the trailer (due to age, significant problem or other) and owe more on the loan than it is worth. But...just my suggestion before you finalize any deal.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption