cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

fridge not getting cold?

tshirtman
Explorer
Explorer
Getting ready to go in the morning and plugged in to cool fridge/freezer and freezer seems to be fine but fridge not getting cold ????
Help
20 REPLIES 20

Nvr2loud
Explorer
Explorer
If you have nothing frozen, just put in any thermal mass like pop cans, water bottles, apples, ect. The cooler the items are the better, but room temperature items will also work. A fridge works a lot better with thermal mass. Air temperature changes very quickly, so the fridge works very hard to remove the heat from the air. If you add a full fridge of thermal mass the fridge works to cool those items, once they are cold they help to offset heat gain from ambient outside (outside the fridge) temperatures.

A fully-loaded fridge will cool faster then an empty fridge, sounds wrong.... but it works.

satchelpaigefan
Explorer
Explorer
We Fulltime, and had aterrible time with our refrigerator. No matter what we tried it would ice up and then it would cool very well.

A friend of ours who had tried several other options told us about the fridge-fix that he had installed with great results. So we ordered one, and holy cow what a difference it made. Our refrigerator cools in a fraction of the time, because of all the air movement inside.

We hated defrosting every few weeks too, but thank the lord we dont have to do that anymore. (WHAT A PAIN!)
Lynn and Gus
Des Moines, WA

2007 Fleetwood Bounder 38S

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
Wishbone51 wrote:
Freeze them first ๐Ÿ˜‰

Yeah, I should've mentioned that, but your post made me chuckle! ๐Ÿ™‚

Wishbone51
Explorer
Explorer
^ haha.. My son bought a pack of those hoping that they would freeze.. It took a very long time, and affected the temperature of the fridge as well.... Freeze them first ๐Ÿ˜‰
2017 Jayco Jay Feather 25BH
2004 Nissan Titan

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with all the above "add a frozen item to speed up the cooling process" posts.

We use "Ice Pops" in the freezer. They lay flat and make a nice frozen treat ๐Ÿ˜‰ They can even be folded to fit odd bent shapes.

And they are not harmed by freeze/thaw cycles, worst case.

Things like this also help keep the temp of the freezer and thereby the fridge more stable over time (thermal mass for our techie friends)

Thumperpull
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds exactly like my post a couple weeks ago.
Mike and Catherine
2004 Thumper 261S
2002 GMC Yukon XL

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
I keep a couple of frozen gallon jugs in the deep freeze at home. When temperature is over 90 i put them in my propane fridge in the truck camper. They help a ton over a three day period.
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

tshirtman
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for the frozen jug trick- never thought of that b-4

cooling off after about 7 hours, leaving it plugged in all night for
the coolest in the morning then switching to propane for the trip.

tshirtman
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for the frozen jug trick- never thought of that b-4

720Deere
Explorer
Explorer
MitchF150 wrote:

Also, keeping the trailer cool inside helps too.. If I have 30 amp service, I'll run the AC in the trailer and keep the fridge on gas... Helps keep the beer at a nice 40* or so temp... ๐Ÿ™‚

Mitch

40* beer in my fridge would be considered a disaster! A fan definitely helps. I like to use the frozen water bottle trick as well. Absorption fridges are not the most efficient in hot ambient temps, but with a little care and a few tricks thinking outside the box, they get the job done.
2011 Ford F-350 4X4 CC LB SRW 6.7
2013 Keystone Fuzion 315
B&W Companion Hitch
1 wife 2 kids and 1 dog

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
it realy speeds things up if you put a frozen gal jug in there,

Wishbone51
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't checked the internal temperature, but when I put my Norcold in diagnostic mode, it tells me the sensor temperature. When I run on gas, the sensor temperature goes up 3-4 degrees.. I've never done a long-term gas test.
2017 Jayco Jay Feather 25BH
2004 Nissan Titan

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
I find mine gets colder 'faster' when run on gas to start off..

Once it's cooled down, I'll switch it to electric if I'm still plugged in.

When it's hot outside, I'll just leave it running on gas, as it maintains the colder temps better when the door is opened and closed all day long..

Also, keeping the trailer cool inside helps too.. If I have 30 amp service, I'll run the AC in the trailer and keep the fridge on gas... Helps keep the beer at a nice 40* or so temp... ๐Ÿ™‚

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I just treat it as a glorified icebox for the first 12 hours, and toss in frozen water bottles or gel packs.

A fridge fan does wonders.