cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

From Motorhome to Travel Trailer

JL7456
Explorer
Explorer
After four motorhomes beginning in 1979 to the present we are considering switching gears and going to a travel trailer. We are in our mid 70's and are checking out the pros and cons of making the change.

We have been looking off and on for the last two years and at first we thought of a destination trailer or park model which would go to a permanent campsite in our favorite campground. Now we are thinking of going to a new or slightly used travel trailer and move around from campground and also take short trips.

The first thing we need of course is a truck to pull it. I know we should buy the trailer first and then buy the truck required to pull it.
We need advice from the seasoned TT owners on brands and other things to consider and look for before we buy the wrong unit. We like a rear bedroom if possible, a larger shower and a bedroom that you can walk around the bed and a kitchen with storage. Length: 28-32ft, budget $25 to $32K. We have looked at Shasta Revere, Laredo, Rockwood, Wildwood, Puma and Springdale. This would be a couples trailer. Thanks for any help or advice.
17 REPLIES 17

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
I'd say look at a Lance Travel Trailer. Exceptionally well built and they have a 2 year warranty!
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk båt - Dette må jeg se!

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
We actually seem to get out of town quicker with the travel trailer. Not sure why exactly. Four tires and a spare to service, no generators, no oil changes, no tune up or drive train repairs. The difference between towing the trailer with a big suv or pulling the toad with the motorhome seems negligible. In fact, I get the trailer hooked up faster than it took me to hook up the toad, wire up the brake lights, hook up the surge brakes, etc.. The one and only thing that the motorhome gave us that we don't get towing is my wife using the bathroom while riding down the road. We have arrived in campgrounds in the pouring rain and it's nice to be in the motorhome and really not have to do anything till the rain stops. In a week I thought that it would be cheaper to drive the motorhome, park it, drive the CRV all week and then drive home. But, we spend less in gas pulling the trailer and driving the Suburban all week. The motorhome went through gasoline in a hurry. If I were crossing the country a lot I think I'd rather have the motorhome. But, that's not what we do.

_1nobby
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmm. Not my business but I'm curious.

I would have thought that a motorhome was the easiest to manage...no hitching and little set up.

I thought that was why mostly cotton tops drove the motorhomes.

Junket
Explorer
Explorer
One a couple of things I believe is necessary we were looking for

1 able to use all the facility with the slides in
2 all slides on drivers side set under awning and get around it
3 sewer dumps in one place not split.Don't want to make two trips or run a split.
4 power outrigers
5 Small enough to be able to get into forest service & county rv parks but long enough to be comfortable .
6 a tow rig that would be more than capable for the job
7 Able to go exploring with tow rig kind hard not having to tear down to go to run to the store because because she said I forgot something
Ken
2005 Dodge Cummins 610 325Hp 3.73 Auto
2016 Wildcat 26FBS
Go Fast 66 Cobra replica 500+HP Richmond 6sp
2015 Jeep unlimited
23ft. Striper boat

webwrangler
Explorer
Explorer
fdhealy4 wrote:
My wife and I are in our 60's. I'm arthritic with back problems and my wife does most of the setup and tear down. One thing we found out was the weight of a Weight Distribution hitch was not doable. The ball mount will weight between 50 and 85 pounds plus the bars. So we have a TV with beefed up suspension that doesn't need the WD hitch. Notice I didn't mention we got rid of sway control. We use a sway control devise like this http://www.huskytow.com/product/sway-control/. Couple that with a properly loaded trailer and we have had no problems through the years. A properly loaded TT and tongue weight is the key.

Dale

At 69 yrs and with a fused neck, I'm getting to that point with my WD hitch. I've been thinking that I may be able to get the hitch off and on in my shop (on the concrete floor) using a cheap transmission jack like this one: https://www.harborfreight.com/450-lb-low-lift-transmission-jack-61232.html The hitch can stay on during trips; the only time I would need it off is for doing other stuff with the TV.
2005 Rockwood 2104
2011 Toyota Tundra SR5 5.7L 4WD
Equalizer
Prodigy

F1bNorm
Explorer
Explorer
We went from TT to a small (24') MH. I don't miss the "trailer chores" hitching and unhitching, dealing with equalizer/sway equipment etc. The MH handles and stops better than the TV/TT combo. We do often pull a towd, but it is easier to hitch and does not affect the handling like the TT. The biggest plus has been we don't have to stop for Momma to use the restroom!

My 2 cents

Norm
F1BNorm

Dog_Trainer
Explorer
Explorer
We went from our DP to a TT 3 years ago. made the deal with the DW that I would make sure and stop often enough for her to use the facilities ( in our trailer) when she asked. When looking or the TT we wanted something that we could spend some months in without getting cabin fever or in each others way. What I looked for is a trailer with a front bed and bath and a single mid entrance door. Our bath is close to the door as well as the refrig and cupboards where we keep snacks etc... We are able to sit at 2 seats in the dinnette and we can sleep on the bed all without having to open a slide. By all means do not skimp on the TV. while many 1/2 tons will tow your 30' TT the difference is huge when you tow with a 3/4 ton.
2016 Newmar Baystar 3401
2011 HHR Toad
Daktari & Lydia Cavalier King Charles , Annie get your guns, our English setter (fur Bearing Children)

LAJMINNIEPLUS
Explorer
Explorer
Check out the Winnebago Minnie Winnie 2500RL or Minnie Plus 26RBSS.

DC8Captain
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are in our 60's. I'm arthritic with back problems and my wife does most of the setup and tear down. One thing we found out was the weight of a Weight Distribution hitch was not doable. The ball mount will weight between 50 and 85 pounds plus the bars. So we have a TV with beefed up suspension that doesn't need the WD hitch. Notice I didn't mention we got rid of sway control. We use a sway control devise like this http://www.huskytow.com/product/sway-control/. Couple that with a properly loaded trailer and we have had no problems through the years. A properly loaded TT and tongue weight is the key.

Dale
Deb & Dale
2016 JayFlight 27BHS
2009 Silverado 2500 HD Crewcab
Colorado

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grand Design and Open Range Roamers are very nicely appointed and have great customer service, Open Range also provides a 2 year warranty that is even transferable which is rare for the RV industry. Good luck on your final choice and may you have many wonderful times in your new TT.

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
We went from a motorhome back to a travel trailer. My opinion is that you can find quality travel trailers at just about any reputable dealership. The price ranges are very similar for comparable units across the brands.

I really enjoy the travel trailer much better, once we get to where we are going. Towing's not bad, no worse than driving the MH pulling a toad. But, I like the fact that we can use every inch of the trailer at the campground. No drivers/passengers seats eating of square footage. I'm towing with a Suburban so, it's not super powerful. I already have a wandering eye for an SUV with the same handling characteristics but a few more horses, probably another Suburban or an Expedition EL.

Alabama_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look at the units by Riverside. They have a number of different units and are well built.

bailer6334
Explorer
Explorer
Northwood products are up there in quality. Check their floor plans. They are heavier than most, that's do to them making their own frames. We have a Grand Design Imagine TT 2150RB and we like it.

Good luck.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2150RB
2016 Chevy 2500HD LT 6.6L DMAX 4WD
Equalizer 4 Point WDH

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
We had that same dilemma back around Feb/Mar. We ended up with an Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB and a Ford F-150. Bought the trailer 1 week before buying the truck, picked up the truck 2 days before picking up the trailer.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB