cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full-timing in a TT.....where should I start looking?

AllenTC2
Explorer
Explorer
So I very recently exposed myself to RVs (no, not like that) and was really blown away with what I saw/learned. The idea of full-timing in an RV has become (in my mind anyway) a viable option for my retirement...which will happen in 6 years (best case scenario). I have been leaning primarily towards a Class A, but I've had many opine that maybe what I should be looking at is a travel trailer and something to pull it.

1) I have very VERY little experience towing anything, and I can't say the idea is super appealing to me. But I am willing to listen to advice. LOL

2) I currently have a Subaru Forester which I'm pretty sure can barely toe the line ().

What manufacturer and/or models would I be smart to look at? I was looking at <30' Class As, what would that be in trailers? Do I need some uberexpensive diesel pick-up to tow it?

Thanks in advance for your input!
32 REPLIES 32

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
6 years ? , you have time to think this all through.
I would not turn in my house keys until i was sure that this wing is going to fly or not. You need to see what your style of camping is.
Start camping and talking to owners of various types of campers.

Renting an rv multiple times or long term is too expensive an option.
As said, go to RV shows . Check the last link for different types of rv's/campers .

I would buy a small light pop up , something used, and spend a few yrs. getting into camping . Try to find a used motorcycle pop up camping trailer. I'll bet your Subaru could tow one if you add a transmission cooler to it .
It would get you into camping to try different types of campgrounds. Campgrounds with hookups and activities vs. wilderness type camping offering peace, quiet and solitude.

Down the road, once you decide what camper type you like, you then have to think about your 'home state residency' and mail options for tax purposes , auto registrations and voting rights. Unless you keep your house and rent it as income.

If you decide you prefer solitude, outdoor activities and have your health to do it then you need to check out truck camper life . There are some people and couples that use TC's to full time.
For 11 years, we have used one for a month at a time off grid, towing an enclosed utility trailer. We had enough room and really liked it.
When traveling without a trailer, we were able to fit the camper into a single parking spot to spend a night in a parking lot somewhere . We never got kicked out of anywhere .

Dave , he is my favorite all time camper , he is very funny too. I do not suggest to drive in the places he does. :E
http://grandwhazoo.blogspot.com/

here ya go, wanna go to an RV show ?
check out these units and pics

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
You would be well advised to rent a unit before you buy.

RVers do not mind 10 mpg, crosswind and truck buffeting, driving 65 mph and being passed by everything. Most folks do.

You can learn a lot, if you try before you buy.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you plan on doing a lot of traveling, and have a large trailer to live in , I'd highly consider a diesel.

In my opinion (If I were fill timing it in a TT, I'd wanting something around 26-28', probably an Arctic Fox, and they are HEAVY.

'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
AllenTC2 wrote:
Do I need some uberexpensive diesel pick-up to tow it?

If you plan on doing a lot of traveling, and have a large trailer to live in , I'd highly consider a diesel.

In my opinion (If I were fill timing it in a TT, I'd wanting something around 26-28', probably an Arctic Fox, and they are HEAVY.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't full time. But when I camp in my TT, I'm good for 7 days before the walls start closing in on me. If I were going to do this, I'd get a fifth wheel with opposing slides with rear living area. I'd get a diesel truck to pull it - most likely a SRW 3500. I'd concentrate an a fiver within that type of trucks capabilities, making sure it has a full size shower. I have been looking for a future purchase, and my favorite manufacturer at this point is Grand Design.

Take the advice to attend RV shows. Maybe purchase a used truck 1 - 2 years old.

Good luck.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
AllenTC2 wrote:
So I very recently exposed myself to RVs (no, not like that) and was really blown away with what I saw/learned. The idea of full-timing in an RV has become (in my mind anyway) a viable option for my retirement...which will happen in 6 years (best case scenario). I have been leaning primarily towards a Class A, but I've had many opine that maybe what I should be looking at is a travel trailer and something to pull it.

1) I have very VERY little experience towing anything, and I can't say the idea is super appealing to me. But I am willing to listen to advice. LOL

2) I currently have a Subaru Forester which I'm pretty sure can barely toe the line ().

What manufacturer and/or models would I be smart to look at? I was looking at <30' Class As, what would that be in trailers? Do I need some uberexpensive diesel pick-up to tow it?

Thanks in advance for your input!
Most people who have a motor home and full time also tow a car. So either way,you will probably end up towing.We prefer having a trailer. One time our tow vehicle broke down and we stayed in the trailer in a dealers lot while the tow vehicle was fixed. if your motorhome breaks down, you'll have to find a motel.

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
"fine in a 30' trailer"

.....you are firmly in the 2500 series truck category now ! ...in fact....skip right over the 2500 and get a 3500 🙂

AllenTC2
Explorer
Explorer
I envision moving around a lot. Like a month in one place, bicycling around, seeing the sights, then moving on to somewhere new. I am currently single, and if I'm honest, I'd be very surprised if I wasn't single when I retire. LOL Maybe a dog. I feel like I'd be fine in a 30' RV. I have an 1,800' sq ft home right now, and I spend almost all my time in the bedroom, the bathroom, the kitchen, and my "man cave" (call it 12x16 sq ft). My hobbies (aside from kayaking) doesn't require much gear. Photography, a drone, hiking (day hikes mostly).

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Your Subaru is a great car but not up to the task of towing anything big enough to full time in unless you are OK living in a tear-drop trailer.

It would help with advice if you would share how you envision your full-time living. Some folks need a lot of amenities and a large footprint. Others can get by with less.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
kerrlakeroo wrote:
...Many military bases MWR operations have tent campers for rent, go try one and enjoy.

This is also good advise, and probably the best yet.

I was in the Army, stationed at Fort Belvoir, VA from 1985-1988. I purchased a new Chevy S-10 pick-up truck and got a shell for it. We used it for tent camping and slept in the bed of the truck on a foam rubber mattress. We were just newly married and had our first baby, but we thought we were in paradise!

Then I discovered the MWR on post, they rented out a couple pop-up campers and our world changed! Renting it was incredibly cheap, without the responsibility of loan payments, insurance, tags, and such, it was a remarkable experience! We took the smaller pop-up because of my truck size. We traveled from Washington DC to Norfolk, VA where we stayed at (then Fort Story, which had a military campground). So we got out really cheap there too. We had a blast.

Towing this pop-up was the first real experience I had towing anything significant, although I grew up around tractors and hay wagons all my life. This was totally MY responsibility. And those couple times we rented that pop-up taught us soooo much.

Fast forward to 1999. I was out of the Army (got out in 1988), and the job I had, had certain pressures that made me want to just get away from things for a short while. Two kids now, and we started tent camping again, until the day we realized we wanted off the ground. We purchased our first pop-up and towed it with a Chevy Lumina Mini Van for the next 6 years. Having the experience with the pop-up from Fort Belvoir helped us make decisions about the first one we purchased for ourselves.

So you know, renting one form MWR while you have opportunity is really a very, very good way to get your feet wet. It will also give you first hand experience what you can expect out of your current vehicle. After you pull a pop-up 1 mile, you'll know if your tow vehicle is up to the job or not.

Any, this is excellent advise, and really the most practical in my opinion.

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
then you could use it to ,,,
1. Rent a pop up a few times to get used to camping again
2. rent a small u haul to get used to towing, and help you decide if you want to take that up in the future. According to the uhaul website your forester could take a 5'x8' box trailer easily, and its only $18 a day to rent and have the chance to learn to back up and turn with one.

Many military bases MWR operations have tent campers for rent, go try one and enjoy.

AllenTC2
Explorer
Explorer
kerrlakeroo wrote:
does the forester have a hitch?

Sure does. I have a bike rack on mine. :B

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd go for a 4 Season unit (Lance again has an excellent lightweight TT that can come as a 4 Seasons)

I was not aware that Lance made trailers that were designed for full time RVing. Page 58 of the 2017 Lance travel trailer owners manual states that the trailer is made for 'recreational use and short term occupancy'. 'Four seasons' is not the same as full time RVing. In fact if a full timer follows the seasons the need for a true four season coach is diminished.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
does the forester have a hitch?