cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full timing questions.............

TWINCAM666
Explorer
Explorer
I am new to Trvel trailers - Motorhomes in General and have a few questions.

I will soon be full timing. Trveling to some out of state jobs, then living in the Rv when i'm not working also.

1st question is, how big of a TT can I pull with a 1/2 ton pickup safely?

2nd is if I get a 5th wheel do I really need a big diesel or?

Also, I do not have a truck or towable car.........So I will be buying truck / trailer or motorhome / car....

Any input on this will be helpful
6 REPLIES 6

Eycom
Explorer
Explorer
If there's a possibility/probability you aren't in a position to follow the sun as a full timer, it would behoove you to research the availability of open parks during the winter. In the east, most parks north of the Carolinas close for the winter, even the parks in N. Carolina's high country.
RVn Full-time

TWINCAM666
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I will be using it thru out the USA.... I will probably see some winters in PA and Washington state. Also plan on working in Oregon and Utah a bit..

I do see the point of a Trailer over a Motorhome...........

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
For what you are going to do my advice would be:

Buy a TT and a truck capable and safe enough to tow the TT. Do a search on the "towing" forum of this site. PLENTY of good info on ~~Can my truck tow this?~~.

Leaving a MH sit for long periods of time is just simply not good for them it's a vehicle with a motor, trans, exhaust etc that just deteriorate when left sitting. And it WILL sit if you are towing a car to use.

AND

The exit strategy is better with a TT than it is for trying to unload a used MH. You can sell the TT and still have a nice truck to drive.

Just my

Good Luck!

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
My dad full times in his FIFTH WHEEL and he has a 3/4 Ton Diesel.

IMHO buy as big as you can,
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

Eycom
Explorer
Explorer
You're going to have to look at the ratings on your potential truck and TT/5er. Perhaps Trailer Life Towing Guides will be of help. I have friends who have f/t in both, TT and 5er. It's a personal choice. I prefer a 5th wheel due to it's more "home-like" feel, the cargo carrying capacity and storage. A diesel will give you more grunt and approximately 20-25% better MPG.
RVn Full-time

Poppy___Nana
Explorer
Explorer
Too many unknowns:
1) how many people
2) what area of the country
3) will you be using the unit in the winter months and again where
4) what is you budget
Leo & Kathy
Upstate, NY
in the Adirondacks