cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Gas grill questions

vynnp
Explorer
Explorer
We have a brand new TT that has a propane connect underneath the body to use with a grill. Do I need a special hose? Will any portable grill work? Do I have to adapt anything? I really would like to be able to grill outside but truthfully I am scared I will not put it all together correctly,
16 REPLIES 16

Capt_RonB
Explorer
Explorer
I have a nice Sam's Club SS Grill adapted to the low pressure camper gas system. It tested ok but I haven't used it yet. Still waiting for the $19.95 Walmart gas bottle grill to rust out or quit ... been a year so far and the cheap little snot isn't showing any signs of quitting. A $2 bottle lasts at least half-a-dozen meals.

It cost more for the gas adapters and hose than the Walmart special all up.

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
The Coleman Road Trip has a regulator and all you need is ahose from CW. They aren fancy and are cheap but fun. Line with tinfoil, pull out foil and wash with dawn dish soap.

Beachums
Explorer
Explorer
vynnp wrote:
OK, so if I wanted to buy the Coleman Road trip, all I would have to do is remove the regulator and then adapt it using the supplies you listed? I hate hauling those little bottles around when you have two 20# tanks and they were nice enough to put the quick connect outside in the cooking area

That is exactly what I did. I PULLED the regulator off of the assembly. I then grabbed fuel line and double clamped one end to the recently deregulated fitting. The other end of the fuel line was double clamped to the quick release assembly. It has served me well for two seasons.
2004 Ford Expedition 4X4 3.73 w/quick shift kit
Reese DC Straight Line/ Prodigy P2 Controller
2010 Coleman CT 250 GS

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
I used brass fittings (tee, etc) with LP ball valves and LP quick disconnects. I used rectorseal #5 for all my threaded joints. The stove used a flare fitting, so I used the corresponding flare connector that was attached to the hose that went to the stove. I bought the quick disconnects off the internet, but I can't remember where. They weren't cheap, but they were quality items.
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1988 Avion Triple Axle Trailer
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

therink
Explorer
Explorer
As long as you can remove the regulator and the propane inlet on the Coleman valve is NPT threaded. I have read that some grills use proprietary threads or removal of the regulator is difficul. It was real easy to do with the Weber.
Also, make sure to use pipe dope and fittings rated for propane / lpg. White Teflon tape doesn't cut it.
Steve
Steve Rinker
Rochester, NY
2013 Keystone Sydney 340FBH 5th Wheel, 12,280 lbs loaded (scale)
2015.5 GMC Sierra Denali 3500, SRW, Duramax, CC, Payload 3,700 (sticker- not scaled yet)

Take my posts for what they are, opinions based on my own experiences.

vynnp
Explorer
Explorer
OK, so if I wanted to buy the Coleman Road trip, all I would have to do is remove the regulator and then adapt it using the supplies you listed? I hate hauling those little bottles around when you have two 20# tanks and they were nice enough to put the quick connect outside in the cooking area

therink
Explorer
Explorer
Goldstalker wrote:
Do they make a T-valve for the quick connect? So you could run a stove and grill at the same time.

You could buy a second quick connect and make a T fitting yourself. Make sure the second quick connect has a shutoff off valve.
Steve Rinker
Rochester, NY
2015.5 GMC Sierra Denali 3500, SRW, Duramax, CC, Payload 3,700 (sticker- not scaled yet)

therink
Explorer
Explorer
vynnp wrote:
Where did you buy the supplies.

Sorry, Lowes. Grey quick connect 10' hose in grill accessories Isle and brass fitting to 1/4" to grill in plumbing aisle.
The quick connect hose they sell if for connecting grill to natural gas connection on stick home.
Steve Rinker
Rochester, NY

Goldstalker
Explorer
Explorer
Do they make a T-valve for the quick connect? So you could run a stove and grill at the same time.
2007 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab Z71 4X4 3.73
2013 CrossRoads Sunset Trail Super Lite 250RB
2-2012 Yamaha VX Deluxe
2012 Toyota Highlander

vynnp
Explorer
Explorer
Where did you buy the supplies.

therink
Explorer
Explorer
I removed the regulator on my Weber Q and bought everything I needed including quick connect hose for under $40. My rig is equipped with two quick connects on the outside and they are different sizes. The larger one comes out under rear bumper for grill. The other near outside kitchen for stove. It is a great set up.
Steve Rinker
Rochester, NY

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
I use a LP hose with a LP quick disconnect and valve for my Camp Chef stove without a regulator. I tied in the hose to the low pressue system after the trailer's automatic changeover regulator. I leave the regulator that came with the stove, at home.

Actually, my TC/TT has two sets of LP tanks so I have two automatic changeovr regulators and use the Truck Camper regulator for on the road use for the refrigerator and I use the trailer LP tanks to run everything once I get set up in camp. The Camp Chef stove is set up so it can run after either regulator. As long as your trailer regulator has the capacity (mosts will) you should have no problems.
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1988 Avion Triple Axle Trailer
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
I thnk the quick connects are somewhat standard. Camco sells the hose & the conversion. I had a short hose on my Jayco TT. I kept the grill & bought a Camco extender 10' hose. All the same. I bought my Camco hose from Amazon. Included the conversion valve for about $50. Check out the Camco catalog online.

JKQ
Explorer
Explorer
Camping World sells exactly what you need, a grill without a regulator & a hose to attach it. Matching the male - female disconnect is the tricky part....
2013 CruiserRv Enterra 314 RES TT, 36ft, 3 slides
2013 Ford F250 Crew Cab Power Stroke Diesel 4x4
Reese WD hitch with dual friction control bars
Dometic 3000 KW portable genset