cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Gas mileage

Cardno7
Explorer
Explorer
Pulled boats for many years, now have a Rockwood Minilite 2014s. Pulled by Ford F150 Lariat. Gas mileage went from 16 mpg to 8mpg. Just want to see if this is about the average drop in mpg. Don't see this drop in pulling the boat.
72 REPLIES 72

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
When people ask the MPG I get with my RAM, my normal response is:

"You don't buy a HEMI for the fuel mileage".

Daily stop and go, I do 13-14 mpg, which is exactly what the book says. Don't get on the Highway much, but the few times I have the book seems to be right with the 22 average it claims. Hook up the TT (small 3500lbs) my HWY mileage drops to 11 if I set the cruise just at the 70mph mark, or 11.9 if I set it at 65mph. I am learning to drive the speed limit (65 mph) instead of "respectfully speeding" (70 mph).

You don't pull a travel trailer for the MPG :B

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
BigBird,

You are exactly right. It is the pleasure one gets from the RV life style that is important. The inconveniences are just part of the package.

As a canoe camper one accepts a lot of inconveniences for the pleasure found. RVing is simply another facet of that mindset, albeit a bit less taxing.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Bigbird65
Explorer
Explorer
When we go on a trip the last thing I worry about is the cost of gasoline, etc. I simply pay and go on. The pleasure of the trip and companionship with my wife is utmost on my mind. We love traveling and camping. Something new to see around every corner.
2017 RAM 1500 Quad Cab 5.7L Hemi, 8 speed 3.21
2018 Winnebago Minnie 2250DS

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
On a trip of any significant distance, think and plan your trip at 10 mpg. Your mileage variations will not make any significant difference in the total cost of your vacation.

10 mpg with $3.00 gas is 30 cents a mile. If you get 12 mpg you gain 6 cents/mi. or $60.00 on a 1000 mile venture.

RICK-ards_Red
Explorer
Explorer
I have not figured the gas mileage out for mine, would probably cry but I know I can drive 2 hours and use half a tank of gas which works out ok. We can get out and stretch, have a little break every 2 hours.
2017 Coachman Catalina 25RKS
2015 GMC Sierra 1500 - Kodiak edition

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
Cardno7 wrote:
Agree with the ayrodynamics, just wondered if drop in gas miliage to half is the norm.

Yes, my 2009 GMC 2500 6.0l gasser went from 12-14 to 6-8 on a 3000 mile round trip to California and back.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
I always say I budget for an average of 10mpg. Nissan Frontier, 4.0 V6, 4wd, six speed manual trans, FunFinder 189FDS ( 19 feet long, 4000 pounds ready to roll ). I just relocated to Arizona for the winter, 1379 miles, avg mpg, 10.41. At least gas is cheap right now, avg cost was $2.07/gal.

This truck generally gets 18 to 20 in normal mixed solo use.

kevperro
Explorer
Explorer
I checked my MPG with and without the trailer (Bullet 272BHS - 6000 lbs) on a recent 110 mile mostly highway trip. Without trailer my Chevy Express 6.0L gasser achieved 19.2 MPG. With the trailer attached on the return trip I got 10.5 MPG. The trip computer on my vehicle is pretty accurate when measured against miles/pump gallons. If I drive around town my van gets 12-13 MPG.

Nvr2loud
Explorer
Explorer
rbpru wrote:
RVing is not for everyone. I have friends who would rather die than drive 65 mph. or stop before it gets dark. Pulling a barge behind them and maintaining a second home is not on their "to do" list either.

Personally the convenience of my own bed, bath, restaurant, coffee maker and dog offset the drawbacks, not to mention the friendly folks you meet.

You either like it or you don't.

I like RV'ing and I like staying in Hotels / Resorts....

SilverRocks
Explorer
Explorer
F-150 ecoboost screw: 20 mpg highway, 17.5 mpg around town, 9 mpg towing 100" wide by 143" tall 8000# Open Range. Towing smaller 24' Kodiak I experienced about 10.5 mpg on round trip, Florida to Nova Scotia.
2013 Ecoboost Screw, 3.73 4x4
Open Range 274 RLS

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:
.....snip.....

Explain why FALR needs to be at 100% "Minimum"? Are you saying that 125% or even 150% would be better for fuel mileage, even though the tow vehicle manufacturer says 50% or even 0%?

Indeed, I agree with Tom, Nissan as an example recommends between 50% and 100% FALR. I have found that 100% on my Nissan truck works very well for my application.

I would suggest reading the owner manual for your tow vehicle and go with the manufacturer reccos.

As for gas mileage, my last three days have been into a head wind, or quartering headwind....so about 9.8 avg has been the number.

Old_Bill
Explorer
Explorer
I pull a 21' TT with a V6 Frontier; I get 20 mgp w/o the TT and 11 with. On hilly ground it drops to just over 9 mpg, so I think your mileage drop is pretty normal.

GrandpaKip
Explorer II
Explorer II
rbpru wrote:
RVing is not for everyone. I have friends who would rather die than drive 65 mph. or stop before it gets dark. Pulling a barge behind them and maintaining a second home is not on their "to do" list either.

Personally the convenience of my own bed, bath, restaurant, coffee maker and dog offset the drawbacks, not to mention the friendly folks you meet.

Yep.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II