cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generator for Travel Trailer (not a tech question)

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
A 3500-watt inverter generator is too tall to fit in the storage compartment of my travel trailer. Therefore, I will have to transport it in the back of my truck.

My question is... would you guys lug a generator to the back of a TT to use it, or would you run a 30-amp. RV extension cord to the generator in the bed of the truck?

My Coachmen TT power cord is in the rear of the trailer.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer
24 REPLIES 24

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
My back simply won't allow me to lift and lug a 100# generator. I knew you guys have been down this road before. Thanks
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

HuckleberryHunt
Explorer
Explorer
I carry a Honda eu3000 in the back of the truck. Depending on where we're staying, my wife and I may unload it and lock it to the trailer, but more often than not I'll leave it in the truck bed and run my cord to the generator. I had to buy a 10' 30amp extension cord and adapter to facilitate that, but it works like a charm.

I use a cable lock to lock the generator to one of the anchor points in the truck bed. It's a deterrent.
2019 Outdoors RV 21DBS
2016 Silverado 2500 Duramax
Equalizer 4-point WDH

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
How do you bolt down an inverter generator?
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
Bolted down is the most important part of all the tips
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
That's a great idea rjxj... thanks.

Any more idea's guys?
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I'd run the cord. It's a lot easier to lift than a generator.
I once wired a friend's camper with an auto transfer switch. I installed a generator inlet and cord on the tongue and ran the wire for that back to the generator terminals on the ATS. This allowed him to just use a short cord from the trailer to the gen. in the truck bed. I think he left it hooked up all the time. Anytime they stopped and wanted power he just had to start it up.

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like a TT manufacturer would provide a place for a generator.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would mount it on the rear of the trailer. But make a platform that sits over the frame and bumper and then reinforce that area. THen you could mount it solidly however you want. Don't put it on a cargo carrier that slides into a bolt on receiver because that will be too far back and will allow it to bounce and weaken the bumper and possibly lose the generator.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!