cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generator size for a 15,000 btu a/c question

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
im sure this has been asked a million times but here goes. my wife and i are picking up our new wildwood travel trailer this coming saturday. it has a 15,000 btu a/c what is the best size generator to run the a/c as well as lights and smaller size lcd t.v. (27 to 32 inch lcd t.v.) as well as water pump. my father has a 5500 watt portable "construction site" generator we can borrow. im not sure of all the specs on it yet. also do i need any type of adapter to regulate voltage to safely run things in the trailer. many thanks
27 REPLIES 27

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ron3rd wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
Dennis12,

The Champion Inverter generators are quiet. They make a lovely 3400 watt unit with remote electric start. That would be my choice.

X2
X3

Unyalli
Explorer
Explorer
The 3400 watt Champion inverter will do quite a bit. Here is a video of it starting a Coleman Mach III 15k air conditioner in eco mode on the RV propane system at 6200 feet altitude.
Champion 3400

- Jeff
2016 Cougar 26RBI
2015 Ford F150 CC 3.5L Ecoboost Max Tow

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna wrote:
Dennis12,

The Champion Inverter generators are quiet. They make a lovely 3400 watt unit with remote electric start. That would be my choice.

X2
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
To run a 15K AC unit reliably you will need at least 3K watts, our Champion 3100 inverter genny easily runs our rig's AC unit and has done so at over 8K' elevation. Of course the generator you posted shouldn't have any issues either if it is running properly, although the sound of it will certainly be heard throughout your back 40.

For not much more than the price at Lowes for the genny you linked, you could have a Champion 3100 or 3400 inverter generator that will deliver clean, residential grade power, much quieter and certainly more fuel efficient. Champion has been making power equipment for decades, has outstanding customer service, and a 3 year warranty should you require it.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Dennis12,

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Honda 2000 and a Micro Lite EasyStart?
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Dennis12
Explorer
Explorer
RSD559 must have had issues with his Honda EU3000is. Mine will run my 15000 ac with no problem. It ramps up when it initially hits the load of starting but then cuts back to a little above an idle. I don't know how many camping friends you have now but if you buy a Champion generator you are standing the chance of loosing them. Obnoxiously loud. Spend a little extra money and get a quality generator. Honda, Yamaha.If your going to put everything that RSD559 is suggesting you might as well have the electric company install you a pole.
Dennis Hoppert

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
A 4400 will do it. The issue may be how may other things do you wish to run while the AC is running. When the compressor kicks in the surge requirement is double. On my wife's grooming van we ran an 8500. It would run everything all at once. At times it seemed like overkill but, we ran lights, a dryer, the roof AC, a stereo, clippers, etc..

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
5500 is more than enough power but heavy, noisy and a gas hog.

3000 can pretty reliably start an air/con and you can go as low as 2000-2400 in some cases (2000 you likely need to add a soft start to the air/con and it still may have difficulty at times)
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
kerrlakeroo wrote:
5500 watts will do it. Obviously we dont know what outlets are on it, but there is standard RV 30 amp plug on many. If you are looking at using this rig in places with other folks around, you likely would be happier with an inverter genny. quieter, lower fuel consumption.
Honda's, Yamaha are the premium ones, Champion, black and decker, predator are also seen frequently. 3000 watts are enough usually.

yeah, i wouldn't camp with this generator around anyone. was going to test run on our back 40 acres...

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
thanks guys

i found the model on lowes.com website this is it

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Generac-Rapid-Start-5500-Running-Watt-Portable-Generator-with-Engine/50205129

RSD559
Explorer
Explorer
Generators can be pretty pricey. You might want to try one out by renting it for a day. My Champion fires up my 15k A/C without even a whimper. My old Honda EU3000is wouldn't run my 13.6k A/C in my old trailer without a hard start kit in it. You might consider putting in a Microair Easy Start for your A/C. That would run you about $300. But you could run your rig with a smaller generator, saving you even more money. I've seen posts from folks running 13.6k A/C units with 2000 watt generators. I don't know about the 15k units. My brother-in-law has a Champion 2000 watt generator. I'll have to try it after I get my Easy Start and get it installed.
2020 Torque T314 Toy Hauler Travel Trailer- 38' tip to tip.
2015 F-350 6.7L Diesel, SRW.
2021 Can Am Defender 6 seater. Barely fits in the toy hauler!

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
5500 watts will do it. Obviously we dont know what outlets are on it, but there is standard RV 30 amp plug on many. If you are looking at using this rig in places with other folks around, you likely would be happier with an inverter genny. quieter, lower fuel consumption.
Honda's, Yamaha are the premium ones, Champion, black and decker, predator are also seen frequently. 3000 watts are enough usually.