cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

GFIC G-N fault at converter

FRGrimes
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Guys / Gals - new to the forum and new to travel trailers. Wife and I just got a 2001 travelstar 21CK hybrid on Sunday. We quickly found that once we removed the "cheater plug" we were tripping the GF. After much reading on this and other forums, I've tracked the problem down to a G-N fault at the converter (if I disconnect the neutral that goes into the converter, the GFI no longer trips).

My question is: Any ideas on what's next? Can I isolate the problem to to the converter, or can the problem be residing in the 12V circuits coming out of the converter?

Thanks!
16 REPLIES 16

FRGrimes
Explorer
Explorer
Newman,

That's the big question - is it bad converter or something else. Are you suggesting disconnecting the converter it at the battery (vs. at the panel) and rechecking the GFI?

Being new to this and not having wiring diagrams I feel like I'm doing a lot of guess work. For example, does all of the converter's DC output go to the battery first, then from the battery back to the panel with the DC fuses for distribution?)

Thanks.

newman_fulltime
Explorer II
Explorer II
sounds likea bad converter.unhook it hook a battery charger to the battery and see if the problem goesaway if so time for a new converter