cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Glacier NP to San Diego Advice

RZAR66
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone have any good recommendations for scenic routes or points of interest going from Glacier NP to San Diego via interstate 15? We'll be taking this trip during the summer.
2018 Ford F-350 DRW
2024 Northern Lite 10-2
20 REPLIES 20

bb_94401
Explorer
Explorer
While I-15 is the fastest way to go the 1,400 miles from the east side of Glacier NP to San Diego and goes past lots of nice NF land to the east in Utah, along with Bryce and Zion NP, you might consider an alternate route if you have more time.

National Parks during the high season aren't as much fun. We're having a better winter to date than 2013, which means that Glacier NP will have lots of snow in the high country and on the Going to the Sun Hwy. The predicted opening of June 20, 2014 for the highway may slip. It opened June 21, 2013 and the Logan Pass Visitor Center parking lot had 8 foot walls of snow at that time. Hope you are here in late July or August.

For the trip to SD consider staying closer to the eastern front of the Rockies on Hwy 89 until it merges with I-15 is prettier than Cut Bank to Shelby and the 15. Further south consider cutting over to Hwy 93 by taking US 10 (SR 1) past Georgetown Lake then SR 38 to Hamilton to pick up 93S for more very nice country. You could take Hwy 93 all the way to Las Vegas, yet there are lots of smaller state highways just to the west that provide even more experiences. At Challis, ID head west on SR 75 along the Salmon River to Stanley, then SR 21 to Boise, I-84 east to Mountain Home then south again on SR 51 and other roads to get to Elko, NV. Then back route it to Ely, then finally to LV and the 15 to SD
'05 Ram 3500, 4x4, DRW, LB, 6spd man, CTD, PRXB exhaust brake, Roadmaster bar

'01 Corsair 10'8" - 4,200 lbs., Xantrex XADC 80A, Link 20, 4-Lifeline GPL-4CT, PowerGate Isolater, 2 AWG wire, PI 30A EMS, 2 Honda EU2000i, parallel kit, ext. duration tank.

kylekai
Explorer
Explorer
Just be sure to bring your own water; there may not be any left by the time you get here. ๐Ÿ˜‰

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
Near Ogden is the Golden Spike Museum at Promontory Point Utah. In Ogden is the Browning Museum at Union Station.
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1988 Avion Triple Axle Trailer
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

the_tc_life
Explorer
Explorer
okay here goes...

great falls mt - a great lewis and clark museum. see the worlds shortest river at giant springs. visit the cm russel museum.

helena mt - gateway to the mountains boat tour

butte mt - the upper city part most of the buildings are on the national historic registry. take a tour of the mine.

dillon mt - historic town and a great museum

short side trip west of i-15 and idaho falls - craters of the moon national monument.

from there id have to leave it to someone else. hope that helps with ideas for you.
2010 adventurer 810ws
1999 c3500 dually 12' flatbed

THE TC LIFE

endalby
Explorer
Explorer
Zion and Bryce are two of my favorite NP; but you have to get out and walk. Yellowstone is nice but it is always so darn crowded. If you don't have reservations for any of those places you need to do it now. My wife, for some strange reason, always wants to spend a day in Park City, UT and walk around (read spend $) and I just drink. There are many great places that are within 100 miles of I15 and a lot a side roads = it. The driving will be slower but much more to see and rewarding.
08 F350, DRW, 4WD, DSL
07 Lance 1131
1 wife, two kids, and a dog

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
Yellowstone NP, Grand Teton NP, Zion NP, Bryce Canyon NP, Arches for a start, maybe Death Valley.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.