cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GM HD Trucks Many with AWD instead of 4WD

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Where snow and mud isn't an issue, you can have a 4X2 truck as your tow vehicle, but here in the Northeast, 4X4 trucks are the norm. Now GM is offering AWD instead of 4WD in many of their HD trucks. At least up here, I'm seeing most HD trucks with the AWD option. I'm not so sure that's a good idea in my neck of the woods. What are your thoughts?
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.
106 REPLIES 106

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you tow near capacity on many of the new trucks your trailer will weigh twice as much as the truck and traction can become a serious issue, even on the road. There AWD can help more than 4WD.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
RobWNY wrote:
I've never been in the midwest during the winter so I don't know but I'm in the snowbelt off Lake Erie. It's not uncommon to wake up to a fresh 2 feet of snow (Think Buffalo NY area, Blizzard of 1977 as examples) I've also had to pull my RV out of pretty muddy conditions at State parks after it rained for several days. You're right though. 99.9% of the time it's no problem. It's that .1% that worries me.

So basically no different (the western tip of NY is part of the midwest).

Only time we've ever had any issues was once while purposely playing with the 4x4 on a prior truck.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
RobWNY wrote:
Where snow and mud isn't an issue, you can have a 4X2 truck as your tow vehicle, but here in the Northeast, 4X4 trucks are the norm. Now GM is offering AWD instead of 4WD in many of their HD trucks. At least up here, I'm seeing most HD trucks with the AWD option. I'm not so sure that's a good idea in my neck of the woods. What are your thoughts?

I would think that in many cases AWD would be superior to conventional 4WD. If the rear tires start to spin, the fronts kick in seamlessly. They only exception would be extreme conditions, such as true off-road conditions, launching on a very steep grade with a heavy trailer or abuse such as trying to pull stumps. (file that under "getting the right tool for the job") Most truck users, even HD truck users don't need low range, especially with the abundant torque that modern diesels provide.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

miltvill
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have always had a 2wd with locking rear axel. I never had a problem in Florida with 2wd. My new GMC 3500HD is 4wd. It has 2wd, 4wd high, 4wd low and auto. I played with all modes but I don't have any dirt roads where I live to really try the modes out. All modes work great on pavement.
2020 GMC Denali\Duramax 3500HD Dually Crew Cab
Sold-Trail Cruiser TC23QB

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
I just got a 2020 hd silverado, i have 4 wd?????? I dont have awd like i did on my 10 yo sierra?
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

I did away with the 4X4 F350 when I moved South. If it snows here it can sit but I do have a 4X4 F150 if I need to go that has got used very little. I agree it that 1% of the time when you need it

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
RobWNY wrote:
Where snow and mud isn't an issue, you can have a 4X2 truck as your tow vehicle, but here in the Northeast, 4X4 trucks are the norm. Now GM is offering AWD instead of 4WD in many of their HD trucks.

You're saying the HD's now have single speed t- cases too?
I haven't seen, heard, nor read that yet. All the new 2020 GM HD's I've seen have been 2 speed.
The 1500s have had single speed T case since last year. Agree, not sure how I feel about that, however, aside from the convenience of creeping up or down very rough terrain very slowly, I can probably count on 1 hand how many times I've used 4low on any truck in the last 20 years. And I use 4wd more than alot of people and in many different scenarios.
Agree, though I'm not happy to see it leave some of the half ton models.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
kellem wrote:
If your scared, get front and rear lockers. Lol

I'm too old to get scared over anything. I do however laugh hysterically quite often.

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
If your scared, get front and rear lockers. Lol

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
bukhrn wrote:
If you can't drive, it makes no difference how many wheel drive you have, when i lived in Northern NY, I've seen quite a few people get 4WD vehicles buried because they thought they knew all about winter driving.

I'm not sure what the point is you're making. Are you saying 4WD is a worse option that AWD in bad conditions?

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you can't drive, it makes no difference how many wheel drive you have, when i lived in Northern NY, I've seen quite a few people get 4WD vehicles buried because they thought they knew all about winter driving.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
RobWNY wrote:

Is Northeast snow worse the Midwest snow? Have done fine for years with 4x2.

3/4 and 1 ton trucks are horrid off road vehicles anyway, so a little extra traction from AWD will take care of 99.9% of drivers.

I've never been in the midwest during the winter so I don't know but I'm in the snowbelt off Lake Erie. It's not uncommon to wake up to a fresh 2 feet of snow (Think Buffalo NY area, Blizzard of 1977 as examples) I've also had to pull my RV out of pretty muddy conditions at State parks after it rained for several days. You're right though. 99.9% of the time it's no problem. It's that .1% that worries me.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
RobWNY wrote:
What are your thoughts?
Get the proper drivetrain based upon your needs. Do some research to know exactly what the options include.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
RobWNY wrote:

Is Northeast snow worse the Midwest snow? Have done fine for years with 4x2.

3/4 and 1 ton trucks are horrid off road vehicles anyway, so a little extra traction from AWD will take care of 99.9% of drivers.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Gramps said never get stuck in 4 wheel drive. Go in the woods in 2 wheel drive and if you get in trouble 4 wheel drive will get you out.