cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Going camping close to home

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going camping close to home as a shake down before our bigger camp trip.

We never go to private campgrounds except a select few. Reason is that many are just garbage with unkept campsites, run down permanent campsites, and/or lack of nice trails and fishing. Some are just mobile-home parks with campers.

Now there are some fair private parks out there made mainly for socializing and parties, and a select few that offer rustic forest campsites. The 3 I know of that offer rustic camping have gone for the worst. One just shut down because of family issues. The other was sold to a younger yuppie couple who changed it into a Jellystone look a like based more on an amusement park theme than a rustic/nature theme. Add insult to injury they raised prices out of this world. Not much cheaper than a hotel stay. The third is rustic but raised their prices so high it's cheaper to rent a hotel room for overnight, then go to the state park on day trips where you can have a fire, fish, or hike for the day.

Now I know why the State Parks are so filled, with private campgrounds not being as nice and/or being much more expensive. Can't see how anyone with a tent would want to go to a private campground anymore.

Prices never were so high just 5 years ago. Boy have they escalated up. Surprised they get any business but obviously people are willing to pay.

With the expensive price of a trailer, it's upkeep, and it's licensing, the addition of expensive campgrounds would likely kill the hobby if it weren't for the State Parks more reasonable campsite pricing and beautiful offerings.

Just disappointing that's there is so few State Parks.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.
31 REPLIES 31

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
Caveman Charlie wrote:
I don't know what it's like where you are located. In MN there are county campgrounds in almost every county. They each have a different style to them depending on what you want. I just got back from my memorial day camping trip and it was 17 dollars a night with electric but, no water or sewer hookup. The do have a dumping station on site though.

I wish we had a State Park in every county but we don't and they're $19/night from Mon-Thr and $26/night for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. That's no water or septic, just electric.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
rbpru wrote:
Many of the Michigan and Wisconsin State Parks do not have any hook ups. If you want to camp with your RV, that is a good option.

Most RV parks are RV parks not Campgrounds and they provide the entertainment people want because that is what draws the people in.

Indiana with their $36.00 a night for full hookups on weekends has to be one of the more expensive State Park options.

We did our shakedown at Pokagon State Park in the February snows then headed for the sunny south.

Most State Parks in Indiana only have Electric hookup only. A very few, and I mean few, offer a few sites with water hookup. Most of those are not state parks but State Reservoirs. Only the newest State parks offer a few sites with water.

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
kknowlton wrote:
Mike, are you that far from the IL SPs? I'm thinking Kankakee or Starved Rock wouldn't be that far. (Though conceivably could be 1 hour+, depending where you are in NW IN.) Anyway, a couple other choices to look into. Prophetstown outside of Lafayette is pretty good (especially the FHU sites).

Funny to read your complaint about not many SPs. Indiana has way more than Idaho (and it's a much smaller state)! ๐Ÿ™‚

Not really a complaint about the lack of state parks but there could be more. The disappointment is really how the owners of decent private campgrounds keep raising their prices, and pricing them so high it's unreasonable.

Looked at Starved Rock and it's always full. Besides it's a bit to far for a weekend trip.

Prophetstown is alright but not my cup of tea. It's also pretty far away for a weekend trip. No shade anywhere with weeds (prairie flowers ๐Ÿ™‚ ) and being for the most part treeless. We went there one week. Can't put tents or anything in grass. Forced my uncle to put his tent in the gravel. :M

Then it got so hot with no shade the AC couldn't even keep up in the pop up. Lets say Prophetstown park is one of my least favorite campgrounds. ๐Ÿ™‚

I did get reservation to Tippecanoe State Park which is very nice and somewhat close at 1.5 hours away.

Thanks for the tips though, I appreciate it.

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Actually, we have found camping closer to home to be a real benefit. We do take 1 or 2 longer trips each year, but with DS#1 having more health issues, we feel like this trip coming up is our last more than 100 miles. In a way hate to think about that, but certainly won't mind driving past numerous gas stations. Our 2 very fav CGs are both TN SP, one about 35 miles and the other about 45. The rangers are almost like family. It's like being a million miles from home and somewhere along the way, the stress levels of everyday life melt away. We also have a choice of 3 or 4 MS SP or even 1 that's close in AR. These get us home within a couple of hours if need be. We generally pay around $25 per night, sometimes a bit more if FHU, but certainly not excessive rates.

You're in NW IN. What about something around Lake Freeman or Lake _____, that I can't remember. Have you checked into anything in IL? Is it too far to swing around to the MI campgrounds near or on the lake? Brown County is gorgeous, but certainly a couple of tanks of gas - or more. If that appeals to you, make reservations now for fall. We rather like the idea of 1 tank of gas getting us there and back, not spending forever driving, being set up and enjoying the outdoors rather than sitting in the car for miles and miles. There really is something to be said for close to home.

You might also look into some city or county parks. Some are very nice, others not so much.

Good luck and happy camping!
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
Mike Up wrote:
gmw photos wrote:
For a shake down trip, you could camp in the backyard. If you wanna make it more realistic, drive around the block first, so you can get practice backing in :B

Hek, the camper is fully functional BUT it's when you actually pull, park, and setup camp, that you find some problems that are more easily fixed when you're expecting them, than not. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Getting into my driveway is harder than any campsite. Believe me, I've had a lot of practice with a street that's barely wider than 1 lane, and my narrow driveway over a deep ditch. Don't screw up or there'll be hell to pay. ๐Ÿ™‚

Camp Backyard

Driveway over ditch

Thanks.

That looks pretty easy. I have ditches, inclined driveway, swing around the garage to level with garage. Sub goes slight east to full blown west for that manuevor. I have a double wide driveway and need the sub to go off the driveway 8 feet to swing the 21ft straight. Good times, and no spotter required.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
You just live in the wrong part of state. There are many beautiful state parks/recreation areas in the mid and southern sections of Indiana. Some even have full hookups (book a year in advance for these sites).

As for private campgrounds, don't judge the rest of the state/country by northern Indiana. NW Indiana not a campers paradise.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

Caveman_Charlie
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know what it's like where you are located. In MN there are county campgrounds in almost every county. They each have a different style to them depending on what you want. I just got back from my memorial day camping trip and it was 17 dollars a night with electric but, no water or sewer hookup. The do have a dumping station on site though.
1993 Cobra Sunrise, 20 foot Travel Trailer.

Nvr2loud
Explorer
Explorer
Our provincial parks are 48.00 a night with 30 amp electric hookup and no sewer or fresh water hookup (fill station and dump station)

Many of the private campgrounds here cost less then the parks

Drbolasky
Explorer
Explorer
Have you looked up any CG's in rvparkreviews.com?

Doug, Linda, Audrey (USN) & Andrew

2008 Sequoia SR-5, 5.7 L, 2000 Coachmen Futura 2790TB Bunkhouse, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Reese W.D. Hitch/Dual Cam Sway Control, Prodigy Brake Controller, McKesh Mirrors
:B

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
Many of the Michigan and Wisconsin State Parks do not have any hook ups. If you want to camp with your RV, that is a good option.

Most RV parks are RV parks not Campgrounds and they provide the entertainment people want because that is what draws the people in.

Indiana with their $36.00 a night for full hookups on weekends has to be one of the more expensive State Park options.

We did our shakedown at Pokagon State Park in the February snows then headed for the sunny south.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mike, are you that far from the IL SPs? I'm thinking Kankakee or Starved Rock wouldn't be that far. (Though conceivably could be 1 hour+, depending where you are in NW IN.) Anyway, a couple other choices to look into. Prophetstown outside of Lafayette is pretty good (especially the FHU sites).

Funny to read your complaint about not many SPs. Indiana has way more than Idaho (and it's a much smaller state)! ๐Ÿ™‚
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
gmw photos wrote:
For a shake down trip, you could camp in the backyard. If you wanna make it more realistic, drive around the block first, so you can get practice backing in :B

Hek, the camper is fully functional BUT it's when you actually pull, park, and setup camp, that you find some problems that are more easily fixed when you're expecting them, than not. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Getting into my driveway is harder than any campsite. Believe me, I've had a lot of practice with a street that's barely wider than 1 lane, and my narrow driveway over a deep ditch. Don't screw up or there'll be hell to pay. ๐Ÿ™‚

Camp Backyard

Driveway over ditch

Thanks.

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
Campinfan wrote:
Come north to Michigan. We have lots of state parks. We once went camping to a state park that was 11.6 miles from our house. It was the first trip of the year.

We've talked about it. Being in NW Indiana, we're not all that far away.

Thanks

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
Golden_HVAC wrote:
Hi,

For a "Shakedown Trip" you might as well spend the $50 a night for one night and camp closer to home. Think of it this way. If you are towing less than 50 miles to get there, you are saving a tank of gas - compared to driving 100 miles to a nice county or state run campground.

Also check camping areas in this site. FreeCampgrounds.com

Fred.

Thanks, I forgot about the Free Cabelas (in Hammond) parking lot camping. LOL, it's so noisy as it's filled with semis and isn't really in a great area I'd feel safe without a firearm overnight. ๐Ÿ™‚

You have a point about gas money though. The closest decent, private campground is about 45 minutes away and the State Park is about 1.5 hours away. Indiana Dunes is very very close, but is so popular you have to reserve about 1 year in advance for weekends, so that's out.

The private campground is $40/night and State Park is $26/night plus initial $5 fee to enter park. I'm staying 2 nights so the State Park is $57 and the private campground is $80.

I'll have to think about that one. ๐Ÿ˜‰

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer