cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Going from 26' to 33' total length

ddrueckh
Explorer
Explorer
I am considering upgrading from our 2000 Jayco 24' bunk house (26' total length) to a 2014 Jayco 29' rear living with slides (33' total length). I am a little worried about getting the 29' trailer through campsites and into sites. I have never had a problem with the current 24' BH. How big of a difference is it? Is it something I should be concerend about? Many of my friends who also own trailers say they wouldn't go that big because we will have issues getting in and out of campgrounds/sites. We camp in many of the National Parks out West (Yosemite, Zion, Bryce, Great Basin, Yellowstone, Glacier, Crater Lake and many more to come). We have a 3/4 ton Silverado Diesel so the TV is not an issue. Thanks.

Dave
2011 Chevy Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4X4 DMax
2000 Jayco QWEST 244B
20 REPLIES 20

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 34' Avion that rarely gets used anymore. My shorter trailer gets all the use since it is easier to get in and out of remote places and it has a higher ground clearance.
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1988 Avion Triple Axle Trailer
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
It may be tighter in some of the older state and federal campgrounds, reserving the larger sites in advance would help avoid being stuck trying to fit into smaller sites. Luckily, we have always managed to acquire a site for our 32' rig in the state and federal parks we've ever been in, although at times squeezing into sites designated for shorter units. Enjoy the extra space in your new rig!!!

sgrizzle
Explorer
Explorer
Our first camper was a 27BH we camped at Grand Canyon, no problem. WE upgraded to a 29 BH (31.5 total) and went to Yellowstone (fishing bridge and grant) and Tetons at Gros ventre. No problem. At one of the Wyoming State Parks (Sinks Canyon), it was a little tight, but we made it. All in all, I wouldn't worry too much about it. We are hardly are the longest campers out there!

Just go for it!

clubhouse
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a nice upgrade. As for towing I doubt you will even notice the extra length.

As for camping, National Parks simply aren't made for longer trailers. Yosemite, I know for sure, will be tough to get a site for a 33' trailer in the park -- especially the valley floor. That said, there is always a CG, maybe not your usual and in the case of a NP it may be outside the gate, but there is always a CG.

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
Can't comment on NP's either.

I have moved up from 24' to 26' to 30' and to 34'. Didn't notice much difference in getting into State Park sites.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

Crazy_2
Explorer
Explorer
Did exactly the same thing 2 years ago 26 ft to a 33
no issues at all, it is actually easier to back up,
towing is not an issue,
However we dont typically do the National Parks so I cant comment on that

Cheers
2018 GMC Sierra 2500 HD 6.0L
Grand Design Reflection 297RSDS 8200 Ish LBS dry,
Reece Dual Cam WDH

"If your dog is overweight, odds are you need more exercise"