cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Going to look at new 1500 crew cabs today

Stclairm
Explorer
Explorer
Tired of looking at all the junk around here used. Heck, they want $25k for 75-100k mile later model stuff. I'm seeing Chevys at $31k, Nissan Titans at $28-31k, Fords are 8-12K off. I would have to trade my Mazdaspeed3, which I'll take a few thousand hit on. Depends on how bad of a hit I take though. The thing I'm finding is the Chevys with the 5.3 and "hd trailer towing" have 3.42 gears, the Fords either have 3.31 or 3.55 gears. Haven't seen any with the HD payload package or 3.73 gears. Nissan doesn't seem to be selling well and they're almost all at least $10k off. My local Toyota dealer has the Tundra double cab 5.7 with towing package (frickin 4.30 gears...) and they sticker for $34,558. They just don't have anywhere near the options all the other trucks have. This will be my daily driver and the TV for our 49XX 31 ft TT. It seems from everything I've read the Ford 5.0 stands at the top of the list, not sure if I'm a Dodge boy with all their quality control issues from personal experiences as a Chrysler service advisor. I just wondered if these 6 speeds make the 3.42/3.55 gears work well as a TV.
I require a crew cab as I have two boys 14 and 10. The Tundra double cab appears to be comparable to the others' crew cabs. Just trying to establish a pecking order to go look at and rule some out if possible. They all are rated at 9500 pounds or more, but I realize some may suck in the hills and or dealing with the length of the trailer.
54 REPLIES 54

APT
Explorer
Explorer
My owners manual specifically sates the purpose of not towing for the first 500 miles is for the rear differential gears to seat/wear in. Consult your owners manual for any restrictions during vehicle break-in.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Kevin_O_
Explorer
Explorer
Stclairm wrote:
What is the deal with putting so many miles on before towing? Transmission break in? ^ Sweet rig BTW!
I think waiting the 1000 miles to tow has to do with a little bit of everything breaking in correctly. But i think one of the big things is the rear ends ring and pinion gears. I have been told the rear end needs to be broken in under normal driving conditions before towing a trailer and adding real heat and load to them. Not sure if there is any real truth to it or not but it's what i have been told and the owners manual says to wait 1000mi so it's better to be safe than sorry. Especially with a brand new truck. Good luck, Kevin
KEVIN :C
DW-Debbie :R
DS-Tyler 11yrs old:D
DD-Makayla 8yrs old:p
MERIDEN,CT
2001 Ford Powerstroke F350 Lariat
2012 Keystone Outback 292BH-OLD
2016 Jayco 29.5BHDS-NEW

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
countryboy69 wrote:
gmc dually blowing over in the wind
www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwOqARlw1EI

That was an unfortunate example of the power of the wind. There is also a video of a semi doing the exact same thing.

Nothing is ever a guarantee... Everytime you get behind the wheel you risk everything.

Also as a note.... That video also illustrates how well the coupler and ball actually attach. Most of the time the TT and TV stay coupled.

Thanks!
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

countryboy69
Explorer
Explorer
gmc dually blowing over in the wind
www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwOqARlw1EI

Stclairm
Explorer
Explorer
What is the deal with putting so many miles on before towing? Transmission break in? ^ Sweet rig BTW!

Kevin_O_
Explorer
Explorer
You will be very pleased with your new truck. I towed our 33' 7500lb trailer last summer over 4,000 miles with no issues. I will suggest you put as many miles as possible before your first tow. Comparing the Ecoboost to your old tow vehicle will be like night and day, you will be amazed when you climb most hills at 2200rpms! Best of luck with it!

KEVIN :C
DW-Debbie :R
DS-Tyler 11yrs old:D
DD-Makayla 8yrs old:p
MERIDEN,CT
2001 Ford Powerstroke F350 Lariat
2012 Keystone Outback 292BH-OLD
2016 Jayco 29.5BHDS-NEW

Stclairm
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't see any of those around, but there again, I only looked at MSRP of about 43K.

ronhuntfish
Explorer
Explorer
Dang, got here after you bought one. Oh well, just wanted to throw one more option nobody mentioned... Chevy 1500 with 6.2L engine and 3.73 diff. I debated the whole 3/4 or 1/2 ton issue also, since it was to be my daily driver also. I have been very pleased. It just fit my situation better. Of coarse if money was no issue then I would have gone for bigger/badder truck.
Crossroads Sunset Trail 29QB
2011 Chevy Silverado, 6.2L, 3.73, 10,400 Max tow.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ok. Video #1 had to do with ice. Not even a dually and a PuP have a chance there. And the other one looks like improper setup and windy conditions. Hardly compareable to the OP's setup.

If the OP never had an issue with his previous 1/2ton SUV then why would he have an issue with his new more capeable truck?
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Stclairm
Explorer
Explorer
With my 03 Suburban, I was 12,500 on the scales. Showed my trailer axle weight at 5380.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Ford/GM have the most payload for their crew cabs. For a family with growing boys, you'll want all the payload you can get.

Toyota's 4.30 axle is almost identical to Ford/GM 3.73.

Nissan's gearing is significantly taller than everyone else, despite what they claim it is equivalent.

I think the F150 Ecoboost is the best available in half ton. But that's usually a premium over competitors. It has the most torque at the lowest engine speed. it has the best fuel economy for trucks with similar power. It comes in a truck that offers two payload improving packages.

GM's 5.3L is a good choice. It offers good fuel economy. It is usually very discounted as 2013 is the last year of this design. The 6-spd 3.42 is a decent combo.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ask and you will receive

1500 Ram pulling travel trailer

Here is another one

I did not pontificate.. please read my post again. I stated that a HD truck would have had more chance in those situations.. I stand by that statement... nothing is absolute while driving, towing, etc. etc.... vehicles of all classes wreck.. driver error, stuff happens.. etc. etc.

There are plenty of videos and facts about HD trucks wrecking as well. I do not advocate a HD truck being overloaded any more than a half ton.

There is not enough information in these videos to critically define what exactly happened to cause the accident.. only that there was an accident...

HD trucks give you advantage.. and yes, there are literally THOUSANDS of half tons on the road every day pulling safely....

My friend on here BenK says quite often how funny it is when a half ton advocate suddenly goes silent and the sig changes toa 3/4 or 1 ton truck.

Your right, neither video is specifically a half ton pickup.. I wasn't speaking against half ton trucks in particular.

No wars nor arguments here. Stay in your ratings and drive safe.
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH

~Walt Disney~

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
jerem0621 wrote:
CKNSLS wrote:
jerem0621 wrote:
My sig use to have a F150...

Have you even priced 3/4 tons for real (as in talking numbers with the dealer)? If not I think you would find them VERY close in price.

When things go bad on the road it is a terrible time to try to upgrade.

Sage advice tifwiw

I have put 12,000 miles on my2011 Silverado 1/2 ton in the last 5 months traveling across the U.S. (4,000 towing and 8,000 touring) and it has done fine pulling my 5,500 pound travel trailer. In addition driving all these miles I haven't see 1 - 1/2 ton broken down on the side of the road even though I have seen plenty towing trailers.

-Actual observed advice

Thanks for the observed advice.. I was not referring to breaking down. Not at all.

I was talking about this

especially this

breaking down is the least of my worries.

Video #1 experienced a loss of traction in the TV. In video #2 you can see that even a small single axle trailer can overcome a TV.

Me personally, I want the most TV tugging on my trailer as possible.

If a HD (specially a dually) was attached to the trailer and situation in video #1 there would have been a 50% greater chance of of keeping traction (two extra tires)

In video number 2 if it had been pulled by a HD truck (dually or not) the trailer would have had to overcome 50% more wheelbase and nearly two TONS more vehicle to flip the HD truck.

YMMV.. TIFWIW

OP.. I am not throwing down on your truck... Yours is a very capable truck. Good choice with the Max Tow package.

Thanks!

I am really against the pontification of accident videos or photos, but you posted them so here goes-

Video #1-Driver could have been driving too fast and encountered a severe sway situation and didn't handle it correctly.

Video #2-Driver would have been better off pulling a double axle trailer. Even if driver had a bigger truck there still isn't any guarantee the driver would not lose control when trailer flipped. Maybe tow vehicle wouldn't have flipped, but could the driver control a flipped trailer situation? (i.e. maintain a straight path as trailer is flipped behind him?)

It's funny but people don't video/photo of half-ton trucks/trailers that go down these same stretch of roads normally. Maybe you could find some?

IT SHOULD BE NOTED NEITHER VIDEO SHOWS A HALF-TON PICKUP.

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
CKNSLS wrote:
jerem0621 wrote:
My sig use to have a F150...

Have you even priced 3/4 tons for real (as in talking numbers with the dealer)? If not I think you would find them VERY close in price.

When things go bad on the road it is a terrible time to try to upgrade.

Sage advice tifwiw

I have put 12,000 miles on my2011 Silverado 1/2 ton in the last 5 months traveling across the U.S. (4,000 towing and 8,000 touring) and it has done fine pulling my 5,500 pound travel trailer. In addition driving all these miles I haven't see 1 - 1/2 ton broken down on the side of the road even though I have seen plenty towing trailers.

-Actual observed advice

Thanks for the observed advice.. I was not referring to breaking down. Not at all.

I was talking about this

especially this

breaking down is the least of my worries.

Video #1 experienced a loss of traction in the TV. In video #2 you can see that even a small single axle trailer can overcome a TV.

Me personally, I want the most TV tugging on my trailer as possible.

If a HD (specially a dually) was attached to the trailer and situation in video #1 there would have been a 50% greater chance of of keeping traction (two extra tires)

In video number 2 if it had been pulled by a HD truck (dually or not) the trailer would have had to overcome 50% more wheelbase and nearly two TONS more vehicle to flip the HD truck.

YMMV.. TIFWIW

OP.. I am not throwing down on your truck... Yours is a very capable truck. Good choice with the Max Tow package.

Thanks!
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH

~Walt Disney~