cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Golf Carts

VAPOTEET5
Explorer
Explorer
Hey everybody, not sure about all you but I'm super pumped on this upcoming season!! Got lots of trips planned including Disney World from VA..I got a quick question for all you. We want to purchase a golf cart but I'm sketched out about loading it w/ ramps.. Am I the only one? Does anybody have any good recomendations on ramps? Brand/price? We have a 8' bed so plenty of room.. Thanks everybody.
36 REPLIES 36

modern_family
Explorer
Explorer
You can also use a simple "come along" if you dont want to invest in an electric winch. Using one of the two is really the only way to go. If you are attaching the ramps correctly (per the manufacturer specs) and are in the correct weight limit, there is no reason for any failure (even when wet) Riding any vehicle onto a pickup "could "result in falling no matter what your set up
2017.. Prime Time Avenger. 32QBI

His.. 2011 F-350, King Ranch, 6.2L. Crew Cab, 4x4, 8' bed, SRW, 11,000 GVWR

Hers..2008 Ford Expedition, King Ranch Heavy Duty Tow, 3.73 gears

Sold.. 2005 Star craft, Travel Star 18SB

Sold.. 2013 Keystone Laredo, 291

Caveman_Charlie
Explorer
Explorer
But, the hospital stay when you try and drive the golf cart into the back of the pickup and it falls could get expensive too. I still like the winch idea. I don't bounce as well when I fall as I used to when I was a teen. If your to the age of needing a golf cart to get around your old enough to need a less painful way of loading the thing up.

Walking around instead of driving the golf cart would be better for you health. I mean no offense by saying this.
1993 Cobra Sunrise, 20 foot Travel Trailer.

Cecilt
Explorer
Explorer
Caveman Charlie wrote:
Back when we used to load our ATV in the back of the pickup with ramps we had a set of rams that were a tri-fold. They were like 3 ramps put together and then they folded up to the size of one ramp. This way they were more stable then 2 separate ramps. (Sorry if I didn't explain this very well. If you don't understand ask and I'll see if I can find a picture somewhere)

I use this style for my atv but they are way to short to safely load a golf cart. They are normally only 60-70" long. I guess they may make longer ones but I get they cost quite a bit.

Caveman_Charlie
Explorer
Explorer
Back when we used to load our ATV in the back of the pickup with ramps we had a set of rams that were a tri-fold. They were like 3 ramps put together and then they folded up to the size of one ramp. This way they were more stable then 2 separate ramps. (Sorry if I didn't explain this very well. If you don't understand ask and I'll see if I can find a picture somewhere)
1993 Cobra Sunrise, 20 foot Travel Trailer.

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
The pictures were mine of the ramp set up. I had the cart fall with my ramps tied down. Things were a little damp and I HAD to load up and pull out. Ha ha ha.

Got half way up and the back tires started to slip. Next thing I knew the cart was sideways and the ramps were on the ground.

Ramps can be safe if it's dry... What if you have to load up in the rain and your 500 plus miles from home? If you have a winch in the bed of the truck then there is no problem.

Securing the part of the ramps that touch the tail gate or bumper with eye bolts is good. But the ramps can still kick out or in if the back of the ramps are not secure.

What I considered doing is modifying the ramps with two lengths of all thread or something like that so that I can fix the width of the ramps exactly to the wheelbase of my cart.

Another thing to think about, at least on my club car ds is that the front tire track were more narrow than the rear. So if I set the ramps even with the middle of the front tires the back tires would hang off a bit.

Thanks and please be safe.

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

Oaklevel
Explorer
Explorer
Ramps aside some great ideas here. If you have not purchased your golf cart yet many campgrounds do not allow gas golf carts. Many campgrounds only allow electric / battery type.

Scooter86
Explorer
Explorer
Unyali, I have always placed my straps like that and had no issues from 400lb atvs right up to a HEAVY old school Case garden tractor. I tie off to the same place the safety chains hook to on the hitch. If the suspension on the truck compresses, the strap gets tighter if anything. Backing up to an incline is a big help loading. The other thing is ramp design. Arched ramps are better, and there is no substitution for length. I have one set of ramps that doesn't connect securely where they rest on the tailgate. These only have 2 little "hooks" for the tailgate and are more likely to slip sideways. I bought another set where the "hook" runs the width of the ramp and is deeper. These ramps are rock solid when loading.

Unyalli
Explorer
Explorer
cinrock wrote:
but the Ford has an aftermarket Chinese POS tailgate that folded up like a cheap suit the first time I tried.

Curious. I loaded my 900 pound 05 ultra with 250 pounds of me on board on my 05 F150 tail gate over and over again with out issue. Next was my 1000 pound 11 road glide ultra and my 12 F250 tailgate then my 1000 pound RZR. Not a problem loading with ramps on tailgate ratchet strapped to bumper brackets.

-Jeff
2016 Cougar 26RBI
2015 Ford F150 CC 3.5L Ecoboost Max Tow

Unyalli
Explorer
Explorer
cinrock wrote:
but the Ford has an aftermarket Chinese POS tailgate that folded up like a cheap suit the first time I tried.

Curious. I loaded my 900 pound 05 ultra with 250 pounds of me on board on my 05 F150 tail gate over and over again with out issue. Next was my 1000 pound 11 road glide ultra and my 12 F250 tailgate then my 1000 pound RZR. Not a problem loading with ramps on tailgate.

-Jeff
2016 Cougar 26RBI

cinrock
Explorer
Explorer
Been doing it for years. We use folding aluminum arched ramps rated for 1500lbs. Used to secure the ramps directly to the tailgate on my GMC but the Ford has an aftermarket Chinese POS tailgate that folded up like a cheap suit the first time I tried. Now I remove the tail gate, strap the ramps to the bumper and get on with it. It always helps to use a curb or some other higher ground to your advantage. Beware of wet grass or dirt, definitely a safety hazard.
'05 F-350 Lariat DRW 6.0 PSD
'11 831QBSS Flagstaff Classic Signature Series
Held on by a Reese Dual Cam HP

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Not where I attach my straps to. I use the eyebolts in the bed of the truck. Guess it works fine for you but I wouldn't want my straps lower than my ramps. Just doesn't look as safe.

X2, I was having the same thoughts before I read your post. Eye bolt is higher and less chance of ramps slipping off when you drive up:) I used to drive my Gold Wing motorcycle up and down the ramps. It used to get goosey backing the bike down the ramps.

boosTT
Explorer
Explorer
The problem lies with the suspension. As the weight is moved the tailgate is now lower to the ground by an inch or so. The straps are then an inch or so looser.

There is also nothing preventing the ramps from side to side movement. When the ramps kick out, they don't kick out straight back. Typically they kick inward near the center of the tailgate.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
jerem0621 wrote:

Maybe I was doing it wrong. Check out this pic and give me some feedback.

They do look secure the way you have them. Maybe attach both ends of the straps inside the bed of the truck. Make sure the straps are short enough that the edge of the ramp cannot come off the end of the tailgate.

The straps don't even need to be tight, they just have to be of correct length to prevent the ramps from slipping off the tailgate.

I've loaded lots of vehicles into truck beds in the past, mostly two wheeled, not four. I have no need to anymore. I have used home made wood ramps, boards, and all kinds of contraptions.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Unyalli
Explorer
Explorer
jerem0621 wrote:
Maybe I was doing it wrong. Check out this pic and give me some feedback.

Jeremiah

This is precisely how I do it. No way it's moving.

-Jeff
2016 Cougar 26RBI