cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good experience with an RV repairman

Skinny_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Recently a friend of mine got what he thought was a good deal in a used trailer. He is a newbie so he didn't have any idea what to look for. Well, he was bold faced lied to. The camper has extensive damage because of a roof leak. I took his trailer to a repair man today. The guy told him it was a shame that the damage was allowed to happen to such a nice camper. He told my buddy that the best thing he could do was to sell it because after the repairs he was going to be completely upside down. He said "yeah I can fix it and take your money but I don't want you to have 10K in a 7K trailer". It is nice to see that there are honest people left in the world. For any newbie out there that reads this take someone with you that knows what to look for if you are looking to buy a used trailer.
'03 GMC 2500HD
'12 Jayco 25BHS
Rugrat: Peyton
Labs: Catfish, Katy, CJ
GO DAWGS!!!
7 REPLIES 7

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Maybe you need to get more than one estimate before throwing in the towel.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I'd seek a second opinion and probably not from a RV repair tech. There is probably a talented handyman in your area that can accomplish the work for less.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

RavensFan24
Explorer
Explorer
May be try and trade it in to a dealer while looking for another one.
2010 Chevy Tahoe & 2015 Keystone Bullet Premier 30'

kohai
Explorer
Explorer
It wouldn't be honest to sell the trailer to the next gullible person that doesn't know about the roof leak.

I think I would rather own a 7K trailer that I have 10K into rather than a 7K trailer with a roof leak and damage.

Or, I would rather own a 7K trailer that I have 10K into rather than sell it for 4K (so someone else can fix it) and buy another 7K trailer. After taxes and hassles, you're probably back to where you are now and not any better off financially.

Call it a 3K mistake, fix it, and move on.
2014 Primetime Crusader 296BHS
2015 GMC 2500HD Denali

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
its always been buyer beware since adam sold a donkey cart. it is a shame theres not to honest people out there, BUT if your buying some thing you no nothing about, tough luck for not checking it out. I feel for your friend, I,d be all over the seller. and I,d fix the camper. myself with a couple buddies.

Skinny_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bought as is so no he is stuck.
'03 GMC 2500HD
'12 Jayco 25BHS
Rugrat: Peyton
Labs: Catfish, Katy, CJ
GO DAWGS!!!

robsouth
Explorer
Explorer
No recourse?
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."