cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got new generator but........

Hideout17
Explorer
Explorer
So I ordered my new generator online from home depot on sat. I convinced my wife to go with the Honda 3000i. I liked the big tank on it max output of 28a ish. It was 200$ less than anywhere else I looked plus on my card I had 0 interest for 12 months. Well it arrived today.....on a UPS truck. .... The box looked like it went thrust a war. When we unloaded it it almost fell out the bottom. The guy with the truck was great. He backed into my driveway was very polite. I unpackaged it and didn't see any apparent damage off hand till I went to start it. No start after 20 mins. I looked in at spark plug thinking I flooded it some how and there was the culprit.....broken end of plug wire!!!!! Called home depot and they said it was under warranty and could have it fixed locally. They are 1.5 weeks out. I need it next week. So I returned it to home depot. The guy there was not surprised at all by the shipping issue. So now I have to buy one locally for 200 more if I want one by next week. Any one else have any ups stories to share. This isn't my first one either. I emailed their customer service not that anything will be done or change. Anyhow that's my story today.....
18 REPLIES 18

W_E_BGood
Explorer
Explorer
Since this apparently a "pile on UPS" thread, I thought I'd join the thumpin' party. I've lived at my present address for 10 years. In that time the wife and I have received over 400 packages through UPS, NEVER with a complaint, problem or notable damage. The two regular UPS guys have been great people, I'm friendly with them, thank them for their service, and for the little treats they usually give to my little Sheltie. Cheers.
Oh, and for all those out there...Happy Father's Day, mine sure is!

hvac
Explorer
Explorer
My opinion. Live a simpler life. Give it all up.

goat_rancher
Explorer
Explorer
The items shipped to Home depot stores for store pickup probably come in on Home Depot trucks. Although I haven't had a problem with UPS or Fedex personally.

Houston_Remodel
Explorer
Explorer
I bought our barely used Honda 3000 from CL for $1100. No wheel kit but I didn't want one.
2015 Starcraft Launch 24RLS
2014 Ram 2500 diesel 4x4
Guarded by 2 Jack Russells

C_B_
Explorer
Explorer
Hideout17

Just sent you a PM

C.B.
CBVP2004~FORD~F350~CC~LARIAT~SRW~SB~4X4~6.0D~
AUTO~PULLRITE 16K SUPERGLIDE~DEMCO GLIDERIDE~
PRODIGY CONTROLLER~C-BETR MIRRORS~EMS-HW50C~

Butch/Barb=2013-Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Kris/Katy=2006-Cherokee 32B

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
I also have had problems with UPS on heavy items especially.

I bought my Honda 3000is off craigslist for $1400, had cover and wheel kit. I was on CL last night and there was one for $1200, also with cover and wheel kit, used two hours, new last year. My wife and I almost went and bought it, even though we have no need for a second one.

boosTT
Explorer
Explorer
I found some xmas gifts that UPS left in my front yard while it was snowing. Yup... got to dig out my front yard to find them. 3 separate boxes about 8' apart.

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
#1nobby wrote:
Hideout17 wrote:
So now I have to buy one locally for 200 more if I want one by next week.

I'd be pissed.

But for $200.....I would probably fix it myself and go.

Seems like an easy fix.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

MSchu
Explorer
Explorer
I ordered 2 toilets from Home Depot for my future retirement house that is 2 states away, and had them delivered to my local HD because I didn't want to pay the $55 delivery. When I went to pick them up one of them was broken. I had planned on leaving for the new house in a few days, so I told them I wanted the replacement shipped to the other address for free. They did, and the replacement arrived in 3 days packed in big boxes with lots of padding. No damage this time!

Golfcart
Explorer
Explorer
"Fragile means throw it underhanded"
-A friend of mine whos been driving for UPS 25 years

Like said already, the main culprit of poorly handled packages is the transfers, cross docks, etc. Way too many hands on the product is hell on shipping. Here at my work we ship very delicate items that we overwrap in corrugated box paper for extra strength and take pictures of it before it goes out. Sooo many times our customers call us and complain about products getting there in such bad shape its unusable

Fedex is the worst!
2009 Sun Valley Road Runner 16ft
2010 Chevy Silverado 1500

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
I ordered heavier WDH bars that were shipped UPS. The first box arrived empty with a heavy sticker. There was a square hole where the bars fell out. I contacted seller, and received another box two days later. The bars fell out when I lifted the box. It would have been hard to not notice.
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

Houston_Remodel
Explorer
Explorer
After the same experience a few dozen times, we now have all heavy and delicate loads from Home Depot delivered to the Home Depot and not shipped direct. They seem to take better care. Heavy loads are normally shrink wrapped onto a pallet for far less damage.

Ordered two Camco vent covers and another large, light piece for the TT. Less than half of the box arrived, with one of the covers. Amazon wanted me to return the box. Yeah, like that was possible. It took some doing for me to get photos to Amazon for them to see the problem. Everything was successfully resolved.

Lesson; never order anything shipped if you need it right away.
2015 Starcraft Launch 24RLS
2014 Ram 2500 diesel 4x4
Guarded by 2 Jack Russells

Hideout17
Explorer
Explorer
I could have had another one sent out but wouldn't be in until the 27th.the 200$ difference isn't my issue. Its the UPS shipping that is for me. I did alot of research before buying the Honda. The champion seems like a good unit but I know hondas's reputation and went with it. Its just sad when stuff like this happens.

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have an RV - UPS story just from yesterday.
I ordered a trailer tray and it was left on my porch by UPS yesterday. The first thing I noticed was that there was a 5 inch diameter hole near the top of the box. I thought well maybe nothing fell out, as the parts are pretty big. Once I got a good look at the package, it was clear that the top flap had been torn open as it had been re-taped and the staples had clearly been torn through. My initial reaction was that the seller had re-sold a package that had previously been returned - I was wrong.

Upon opening up the package, the very large parts were still there, but more than 1/2 of all the parts were missing. And the ones included were scratched up, like they had spilled out and fallen on a cement floor.

I called the seller to report this and they immediately processed another shipment and sent me a return slip and scheduled UPS to pick up the package. The person I talked to stated that they have MANY problems with UPS shipments.

One would think that if UPS has a package break open at some point in their processing, they would at least tape some sort of sticker on the package that says it broke open in shipment and have instructions for what to do. Also, it would be nice if they actually rang your doorbell to give you the option to refuse delivery. I was actually home and within about 15 feet of the front door when the delivery was made, but only noticed the UPS truck through the window as it was leaving. The box was clearly damaged and he could have rung the doorbell when he delivered and given me the chance to refuse shipment.

Hopefully the new package being sent will not meet the same fate.