cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Grand Design 308BHTS

Galena
Explorer
Explorer
I realize this has probably been covered many time before, but down sizing from a Class A to a TT and wondering if a 1/2 ton new model truck can handle the Reflection 308 BHTS, 9995 lbs GVWR. Is it marginal and should I just go for a 3/4 ton? Thanks!
๐Ÿ™‚
8 REPLIES 8

tdp6022
Explorer
Explorer
I was going to buy the Grand Design Imagine 2950RL, to tow with my 1/2 ton Chevy with Max tow package and 6.2 ltr V8. That trailer had a GVW of 8995. I really liked the trailer, but weighed everything and it turned out that was cutting it way to close for my truck. Even though on the surface it looks like my truck would handle that trailer, but at nearly 34' and 9000lbs I would have felt more comfortable with a 3/4 ton truck at least. The manufacturer claims the Imagine line is built for 1/2 tons but the two largest (2950RL included) are probably better for a 3/4 ton. I believe the Reflection series is even bigger and heavier than the Imagine line. So IMHO, I would not tow any Reflection series with a 1/2 ton.
TDP+wife and sometimes the grandkids
2011 Kestone Passport 2590BH
2011 Chevy silverado LTZ 6.2 ltr

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Towing that TT with a 1/2 ton is like Harley guys wearing that tiny skull cap. It may look cool to other Harley guys, but to those in the know it ain't cool.
Go 3/4 ton gas or 1 ton diesel for payload.

Bob_Olallawa
Explorer
Explorer
fla-gypsy wrote:
Bob/Olallawa wrote:
I tow its brother the Reflection 313RLTS and would not use less than a 3/4 ton. Lots of tongue weight to deal with along with the length.

That seems like a very nice trailer. BTW, what is the actual tongue weight? 1500+?

Yes it is tongue heavy. I load light as possible but usually have between 1,400 and 1,500 lbs of tongue weight. I do stop at the scales often. Came with 15" tires and not much cushion on them either. The tires are E rated and 75mph max on the sidewall but they don't have the weight carrying of a good 16" for sure.
Welcome to my home, that door you just broke down was there for your protection not mine.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Galena wrote:
I realize this has probably been covered many time before, but down sizing from a Class A to a TT and wondering if a 1/2 ton new model truck can handle the Reflection 308 BHTS, 9995 lbs GVWR. Is it marginal and should I just go for a 3/4 ton? Thanks!

Yes without question and one with a lot of payload. Might consider a SRW 1 ton
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Bob/Olallawa wrote:
I tow its brother the Reflection 313RLTS and would not use less than a 3/4 ton. Lots of tongue weight to deal with along with the length.

That seems like a very nice trailer. BTW, what is the actual tongue weight? 1500+?
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
You can tow it, but I bet in less than a year you'll be trading for a heftier truck.

Bob_Olallawa
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to my home, that door you just broke down was there for your protection not mine.

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
At 37 feet and 10K, you'd be silly to buy a 1/2 ton truck. Nice camper by the way.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS