cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grand Design Imagine 2850RL

9one1_
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at a Grand Design Imagine 2850RL. We love the layout, gray tank is large 71 gallons with a 52 gallon fresh. My concern is the CCC. It is a sparse 1853lb per the yellow tag on the side.

We would be pulling it with a 2016 Ram 2500 6.4 with 12,600lb towing capacity and a CCC of 2850lbs.

The GVWR on the trailer is 8999lbs and tongue weight of 800 dry. So I have plenty of capacity left in my truck to store heavier things.
2016 RAM 2500 CC 4X4 6.4 Hemi w/3.73

2011 Jayco Jayflight 29QBH
7840 lbs ready to camp (8560 lbs full water load) (1200lbs tongue weight)
Reese Dual Cam

EX TV- 2011 Chevy 2500HD 6.0 4X4 3.73 extra cab
2011 Ford F250 SC 4X4 6.7 w/3.31
8 REPLIES 8

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
For anyone looking at a Grand Design, there are several Facebook pages worth checking out. Grand Design Owners and Grand Design Imagine owners are two, I think the Reflection and Solitude have their own pages also. BTW - we really like our Grand Design. Nobody, bar none, has better customer service after the sale should you need it.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

Ltrip
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking at the GD 2600RB. We saw the Rockwood and really liked it with the wardrobe slide. BUT!!! The Rockwood is a 60X74 bed. The GD is a 60X80 bed. Big difference for us!
Also looking at Arctic Fox 25Y. Pricier, but much better CC and options.
Cheers,
Larie Trippet Reno/Tahoe region
2018 Ford F250 Lariat Ultimate CC SB 4X4 diesel
2018 Arctic Fox 25Y
2019 BMW R1250RT

NorthTrail23
Explorer
Explorer
Sgeorge wrote:
NorthTrail23 - Thanks for the heads up on the Flagstaff/Rockwood, that might be on the top of the list now. We really liked the wardrobe slide and the design of the bedroom. It gives the GD a run for its money in amenities and has a much higher payload. Forest River even states on the sticker that its ccc is after a full water tank but nothing in the gray/black tank. Will need to do a plus/minus comparision before we decide.

You're welcome. We really like both trailers,. The floorplans are nearly identical, as is the build quality. The main differences we found: The GD has a better galley (kitchen) layout, aluminum entry steps and I believe a longer awning. The Flagstaff 26RBWS / Rockwood 2606WS has a better axle set-up with considerably more CCC, storage cabinets above the sofa and dinette, an extra large pass-thru storage compartment (dropped frame design), a wardrobe slide in the bedroom, and that cool front window for more light and a better view. We preferred the GD colour scheme, but the Flagstaff and Rockwood both have optional maple cabinets that lighten things up, and we personally preferred the Flagstaff fabrics over the Rockwood's; and this is basically the only difference between the Flagstaff and Rockwood, other than the outside graphics. They're built together on the same line.

So in the end, we selected the Flagstaff - taking delivery this weekend. But it was a tough decision - the GD is a really nice trailer too (and its thanks to their floorplan that these other trailers even exist). In the end, it was the Flagstaff's superior ccc and storage that made the difference for us.
Terry, Sindee and Ranger
Ontario, CAN
2014 Heartland North Trail 23rbs
2016 Ram Big Horn

Sgeorge
Explorer
Explorer
NorthTrail23 - Thanks for the heads up on the Flagstaff/Rockwood, that might be on the top of the list now. We really liked the wardrobe slide and the design of the bedroom. It gives the GD a run for its money in amenities and has a much higher payload. Forest River even states on the sticker that its ccc is after a full water tank but nothing in the gray/black tank. Will need to do a plus/minus comparision before we decide.
2013 Springdale 232SRT
2016 F250 XLT, 6.2, 4.30.

csjag1
Explorer
Explorer
Actually, 1853 CCC is still not to bad in a TT that is the lightweight entry line of TT's for Grand Design. We recently bought and dearly love a GD Reflection 315RLTS and it had slightly less CCC than the Imagine 2950RL. However, like 9one1 wrote above, I pull mine with a Silverado 2500 and have plenty of cargo capacity in the truck if necessary.

In regards to the 2600RB and the low CCC,just be extra careful what you load in the TT. For dry camping (which we do not do) with a fresh tank capacity of 52 gal., a full tank would add nearly 400 lbs. of weight, which is 1/3 of its CCC.
Just be careful what you carry in the trailer or look for a model with more CCC,

NorthTrail23
Explorer
Explorer
Sgeorge wrote:
I am looking at the GD 2600RB and have the same issue. It only has a 1200lb CCC which is very low. Have you checked out www.GrandDesignOwnersforum.com There are a lot of people on that sight, I have gotten myself in trouble on that sight for pointing out what I believe is a design error in regards to GD's CCC. People don't like hearing bad things about their trailers. There is also a Facebook page devoted to GD, more people looking to do upgrades or how to on that sight than technical stuff. We really like the 2600RB, but haven't purchased yet due to the CCC. We dry camp a lot and carrying full water tanks really take a bite out of the CCC. Have heard a lot of positive reports about GD products.

We also loved the GD2600rb and the ccc was a concern. Fortunately Flagstaff/Rockwood have copied the floor plan and with different axles the Flagstaff has an extra 500 lbs of capacity. It also has a nice wardrobe slide for extra storage. Winnebago has also copied it but Im not dure of the Winnie's ccc.
Terry, Sindee and Ranger
Ontario, CAN
2014 Heartland North Trail 23rbs
2016 Ram Big Horn

9one1_
Explorer
Explorer
Sgeorge wrote:
I am looking at the GD 2600RB and have the same issue. It only has a 1200lb CCC which is very low. Have you checked out www.GrandDesignOwnersforum.com There are a lot of people on that sight, I have gotten myself in trouble on that sight for pointing out what I believe is a design error in regards to GD's CCC. People don't like hearing bad things about their trailers. There is also a Facebook page devoted to GD, more people looking to do upgrades or how to on that sight than technical stuff. We really like the 2600RB, but haven't purchased yet due to the CCC. We dry camp a lot and carrying full water tanks really take a bite out of the CCC. Have heard a lot of positive reports about GD products.

We just bought the 2950rl yesterday. Ours has 1855lb CCC but my thinking is that I have a 3/4 ton truck and even with my wife kids and I and the tongue weight I will still have about 1000lbs payload left in the truck. So I'm looking at is a having 2800lbs between the 2. I could not find another trailer that had as much equipment, great tank sizes and an awesome floorplan! We got there when the dealership opened and got our pick of the litter. They sold all the 2950rl they had in the lot before noon.

The last 6 years with our jayco we were running 1500lbs with 40 gallons of freash water and all our junk for a familty of 4. We will be cautious with what we load in the trailer but don't anticipate any problems.

Good luck with your decision.
2016 RAM 2500 CC 4X4 6.4 Hemi w/3.73

2011 Jayco Jayflight 29QBH
7840 lbs ready to camp (8560 lbs full water load) (1200lbs tongue weight)
Reese Dual Cam

EX TV- 2011 Chevy 2500HD 6.0 4X4 3.73 extra cab
2011 Ford F250 SC 4X4 6.7 w/3.31

Sgeorge
Explorer
Explorer
2013 Springdale 232SRT
2016 F250 XLT, 6.2, 4.30.