cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Great RV Service Shoutout

DWeikert
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just wanted to give a shout out for Abe Thompson RV Service Center, 510 N Broadway, Oak Grove, MO 64075. (816) 690-2163. About a quarter mile north of I-70 roughly 8 miles east of Kansas City.

On my recent trip to Colorado it dawned on me shortly after hitting the road that I forgot to test the water heater before leaving the house. This, of course, planted the seed for problems when I tried to use it the first time on the road. The first fire-up it just belched yellow flame and a lot of soot. So I hit a Home Depot and picked up some canned air to give it a good blow out. After that it wouldn't light at all, though the igniter was sparking away. I figured I had blown whatever was clogging the orifice further back in and was blocking gas completely now. I stopped at a Camping World near Columbia, MO, but they didn't have time to look at it. Fair enough. People had made appointments and expected work done while I was just a drive up. No hard feelings. So I got back on 70 and saw the sign for Abe's and took the exit. I described the problem and they told me to pull around to the middle bay door (which had a camper in it) and "Bear" would come out to take a look. I turn off the propane while on the road but when I turned it on at Abe's I had zero flow. At that point we thought the main regulator was the problem so "Bear" and "Frenchie" pulled the regulator and Bear said he was also going to test the hose. Some time ago the hose had a kink in it and apparently something inside separated blocking propane flow. Once they found the blocked hose, they put on a new one, tested my original regulator and everything worked. I was charged for the hose and an hour's labor for the hour the two guys had spent on the problem, and I was back on the road a happy camper. But not before they gave me a marker and sent me into the waiting room and asked my to add my thoughts to the innumerable other thanks for great service scrawled on the wall.

If you're passing through the area, or live there, and have problems, you would have to do a lot of searching to find friendlier service.

Thanks Bear, Frenchie and Abe.
Dan
2008 Chevy D/A 2500HD ECSB
2010 Northstar 8.5 Adventurer
4 REPLIES 4

pjay9
Explorer
Explorer
Similar situation while in Denver area with propane to refer, just too low to keep food while boondocking..on 120/12v worked fine. Stopped by Ketelsen...they were very busy got me in about 40 mins later...checked the pressure on the regulator way down...cleaned and adjusted...made sure hoses were fine...called me into the garage to check everything before they backed her out...I asked a question to the two guys about the my battery separator being very very hot...they looked and said you got some tools I told them yes...then go to parts and get a new separator...I did and when I came back out and paid my bill to service, I went to change the separator I found on the step a few wire connectors and two 12" bits of wire with the ends trimmed waiting for me. Did it in the parking lot...as a came out of the TC the two guys were at the other end of their big building looking my way...they held their thumbs up and so did I...one yelled out "you all set"...sure was...yelled a big THX back. Good folks there too...a bit pricey but when you are used to doing everything yourself paying for something seems to stick in the craw no matter the cost...but well worth the stop and the layout.
2005 Lance 1161, 2004 Dodge CTD 3500 Dually 19.5's Stabiloads Roadmaster Sway, 2009 20' Raider 185 Pro Fish 90hp & 9.9 Yamaha vintage Penn elec.downriggers EZLoad roller trailer

The_Mad_Norsky
Explorer
Explorer
Nice to hear these types of reports.

Good for you!
The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD LE Wet Bath
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

Explorer1016
Explorer
Explorer
That is good to know. I live in Eastern Missouri (and no, not Ferguson) and drive through there several times a year. I will keep Abe's in mind.

Dennis
2008 Host 300 Super 'C'
2008 Ford F-550 Chassis
Diesel
4x4
Lariat crew cab
20' enclosed car hauler/garage
'87 Jeep rock crawler
Turbo'd

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cool , glad you're back on the road .
Nice to hear a story like this cause it restores my faith .

Tnx., Bob