Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hallmark Pop-up Truck Campers

Scott16
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone,
I have been researching Truck Campers and I have a question about the Hallmark Cuchara XL 9.5' camper. I would like to go off road and figure they would be a good fit with the low profile in the woods and hills. I am not an Extreme off roader just want to explore and dry camp, fishing included. They are rated for four seasons, but i don't think i would want to test 20 below in the Camper. Good or bad what do you thing.
Thank you for your inputs.
Scott
US Navy Retired IC1(SW)USS Fletcher DD-992
37 REPLIES 37

Scott16
Explorer
Explorer
sljohnson1938 wrote:
Scott16 - not sure what your plans are, but there is a used 2001 Hallmark Cuchara listed on ebay now. look pretty good. you might look at it.

Thank You for the reply.
I am still researching. I will search and check out ebay also when the time comes, thanks for the reminder.
Scott

sljohnson1938
Explorer
Explorer
Scott16 - not sure what your plans are, but there is a used 2001 Hallmark Cuchara listed on ebay now. look pretty good. you might look at it.
1999 Dodge 3500 CTD dually
Ham radio - WU4S

Scott16
Explorer
Explorer
GeoBoy wrote:
Scott,
Talk to Matt at Hallmark about the Thin Film solar collectors that stick to the roof. This way you can walk on the roof without tripping over regular solar collectors. Once we get the canoes on the roof and determine what available space there is for Thin Film solar I will see if I can get the right configuration.
I think that the F-350 with the 6.2 should be more than adequate to handle the Cuchara.

Thanks,
Will do.:)
Scott

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Scott,
Talk to Matt at Hallmark about the Thin Film solar collectors that stick to the roof. This way you can walk on the roof without tripping over regular solar collectors. Once we get the canoes on the roof and determine what available space there is for Thin Film solar I will see if I can get the right configuration.
I think that the F-350 with the 6.2 should be more than adequate to handle the Cuchara.

Scott16
Explorer
Explorer
GeoBoy wrote:
Scott,
Yes, our truck is SRW. Being that the Hallmark is only 84" wide a dually would be overkill.
We didn't get solar because we will be carrying our 2 - 12' ultra light pack canoes on top. We did get AC and will use our Honda 2000 when needed.

Thank you for the reply.
Yes the area for your light pack canoes are where the solar panel would go. Thinking of getting a 150 Watt panel. Will have to research a little more to make sure i have the right set-up.
My F-350 SRW is going to be the 6.2L gas, due to increase in weight i can carry. Would like a Diesel but just not sure of availability of Diesel fuel out in the mountains, plus reduce in weight carring Capability.
Scott

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Scott,
Yes, our truck is SRW. Being that the Hallmark is only 84" wide a dually would be overkill.
We didn't get solar because we will be carrying our 2 - 12' ultra light pack canoes on top. We did get AC and will use our Honda 2000 when needed.

Scott16
Explorer
Explorer
GeoBoy wrote:
Scott,
We are picking up our new Cuchara in a few weeks. I was going to buy a Ute/Everest at first but the extra 12" in the dinette area made the difference to me. We have a Silverado 3500 and it will carry the Cuchara and not be overweight. The Cuchara is about 250lbs. heavier than the Ute/Everest.

That is great news. Let me know how the Cuchara is working for you.
Is your Silverado a SRW?
Thanks for letting me know about the weight. Did you get the solar system with your Cuchara, or AC, with the Honda EU 2000.
Scott

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Scott,
We are picking up our new Cuchara in a few weeks. I was going to buy a Ute/Everest at first but the extra 12" in the dinette area made the difference to me. We have a Silverado 3500 and it will carry the Cuchara and not be overweight. The Cuchara is about 250lbs. heavier than the Ute/Everest.

Scott16
Explorer
Explorer
Raminwyo wrote:
I had Hallmark build me a new Everest in 2010. No problems except for a fuse that went bad.
I can say that the building process was painless. Just talk to Matt and ask his advise on options. They are around it every day and know each new product which has proven to be a good one. Hallmark will do about anything you ask of them. He even installed a HDMI cable in case we wanted to watch tv--which we don't. At the last minute they made an oak door for the shower. I mean while I was there to pick up the camper they made and installed it. They are a terrific company!! all of them.
Also live in Wyoming. so if you move here don' tell people--we like it to ourselves!

Thanks for the information.
What is the differance between the Ute and the Everest? I know the two are looped together on the Hallmark web page. I do like the 8.5 long bed so would consider one and it is lighter. I am getting a F-350 SRW, so have to watch the weight.
I will be quite when i arrive. I have already been told that secret. Where do you live, if i my ask.
Scott

Scott16
Explorer
Explorer
sljohnson1938 wrote:
I was looking at the Hallmark website and they have a used Cuchara for sale. Problem - I want an AC and was told that I would need a new roof ($5800) and a 'super manual roof lift' another $1200, plus $850 for the AC. Now this is for a 1999 Cuchara. Plus $4000 for the TC. Now that adds up to $11850 for a 14 year old TC. Sounds like a lot to me, What about you? What do you think?
At my age, 75, the TC would be here longer than me.

Yes I agree, it is a lot for a 99. I would not buy the used Cuchara.
I'd move on, try another later on. Don't know how old the web page. I would think Hallmark would keep it updated when they get new used stock in. Watch for a Ute model, is a 8.5 long bed. I would consider that model in the future.
Good luck,
Scott

sljohnson1938
Explorer
Explorer
I was looking at the Hallmark website and they have a used Cuchara for sale. Problem - I want an AC and was told that I would need a new roof ($5800) and a 'super manual roof lift' another $1200, plus $850 for the AC. Now this is for a 1999 Cuchara. Plus $4000 for the TC. Now that adds up to $11850 for a 14 year old TC. Sounds like a lot to me, What about you? What do you think?
At my age, 75, the TC would be here longer than me.
Ham radio - WU4S

Raminwyo
Explorer
Explorer
I had Hallmark build me a new Everest in 2010. No problems except for a fuse that went bad.
I can say that the building process was painless. Just talk to Matt and ask his advise on options. They are around it every day and know each new product which has proven to be a good one. Hallmark will do about anything you ask of them. He even installed a HDMI cable in case we wanted to watch tv--which we don't. At the last minute they made an oak door for the shower. I mean while I was there to pick up the camper they made and installed it. They are a terrific company!! all of them.
Also live in Wyoming. so if you move here don' tell people--we like it to ourselves!

Scott16
Explorer
Explorer
sljohnson1938 wrote:
Interesting topic. I do not own either Hallmark or Outfitter. I have looked at both. Cannot afford either one. And getting a used one, either one, is hard to find. But, if i did I would choose the biggest one, at my age, 75, I want a self contained unit. That means AC. Frig, Heater and most of all A TOILET. I do like the basement model, that means larger tanks.
If you are going to 'boondock' bigger is better.
Will look forward to other replies.
Good luck on your choice.

Thank you for the reply,
I have a list of five models i like. The pop ups are on the list. We'll just have to sort them out when the time comes and go where it may take me. I am taking my time to make sure. Have a lot of notes of things to check on.
Scott

sljohnson1938
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting topic. I do not own either Hallmark or Outfitter. I have looked at both. Cannot afford either one. And getting a used one, either one, is hard to find. But, if i did I would choose the biggest one, at my age, 75, I want a self contained unit. That means AC. Frig, Heater and most of all A TOILET. I do like the basement model, that means larger tanks.
If you are going to 'boondock' bigger is better.
Will look forward to other replies.
Good luck on your choice.
Ham radio - WU4S