cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hand crank help

Dawne1290
Explorer
Explorer
Hello! We just bought a 2007 Fleetwood saratoga highlander pop up trailer it. Has a power lift on it. But the hand crank post seems worn down when we attach the hand crank it doesn’t catch in the post so it won’t do anything. But I would like to have it for back up just in case the motor ever goes! The post that the hand crank slides on to has a little nub that comes up through the post that I am assuming should go through the slots on the hand crank so that it catches and actually turns the gears amd isn’t just spinning on the post. But it’s so worn down that the hand crank just spins. If that makes any sense. I can’t figure out how to post a picture I do have some though! What’s the best way to fix it?
4 REPLIES 4

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
As above, use a hammer and small punch to push the pin through one way or the other. Grab it with some pliers (I like to use diagonal cutters for good grip) and pry it out. Take the pin to your local home improvement store and get a new split pin (aka roll pin) from the drawers in the nuts and bolts aisle. Take the pin home and check the length against the crank handle. Carefully file or grind the pin to length, leaving it a bit long if possible. Use a hammer to tap the pin into the shaft.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
File one side off flush with rod. Use a small punch to drive it out or grade other side with vise grip type pliers and use hammer on vise grips. replace with properly sized roll pin.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Dawne1290
Explorer
Explorer
Hi! Yes it has the pin through it but it’s been so worn down that the crank handle slots just slip over top of it when your turn the handle! But we can’t get the pin out so I was wondering how we replace that pin?

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Many have a pin through the rod for the slots
to fit in. They are like a roll pin.
Handle

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker