cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hard numbers on MPG.

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
One of the show stoppers for the new RV owner is the fact that they get half the gas mileage when towing. In my case it drops from 19 mpg with no TT to 10 mpg when towing.:(

Our TV is typical; we have an F-150, 4x4 with E-Boost and averaged 10 mpg over 8,000 miles of towing last year. I suspect this is more towing mileage than most RV owners do in a year and less than a few others.

I read where some folk add modification to their TV to improve their mpg. So I decided to do the math to see what would happen if I got 12 mpg, a 20 % improvement.

Starting with $3.25 a gallon for gas seemed reasonable, so at 10 mpg it cost us 32.5 cent a mile to pull our TT. At 12 mpg it would cost only 27.1 cents per mile. This is a savings of 5.4 cents per mile. So, last year a 20 % improvement in mpg would have saved us $432.00.

The problems as I see it are,
1. 8,000 miles was for us an exceptional towing year for us.
2. I doubt that there is anything they can do to my F-150 to gain 20% on my mpg.
3. Cheaper gas would make the saving even less.
4. Even doubling the price of gas to $6.50/gal. :E or the towing miles to 16,000; there would still be less than $1000.00 worth of saving; not enough to justify a different TV or any extensive motor mods.

So for the DW and me 10 mpg it is. My TV and TT combination tows well, has good low end torque and a comfortable ride. Admittedly, If I was younger and in my gear head days or some other person who enjoys the challenge of improved mpg, the cost would be secondary. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.
45 REPLIES 45

danimal53
Explorer
Explorer
KFCCaravan wrote:
danimal53 wrote:
got some hard numbers of my own. very short ride, I'll see better after the upcoming 1,000mi trip.

TT: 2016 Coachmen Clipper 17bh
TV: 2010 Jeep Liberty 4x4, 3.7L gas engine (21mpg highway not towing)

Most of the drive I had overdrive OFF, though this seemed unnecessary. My max speed was about 60mph (maybe a little more when passing) but a lot of the drive was a construction zone, so was around 45-50mph.

today's drive:
73mi / 5.8 gal = 12.5mpgs

I'm pretty happy with that, hopefully it stays around there for longer trips!

Hi Danimal,

Your the first fellow Clipper 17BH owner I've ever seen quoting mileage so I find your numbers intriguing.

I've put over 4000km in 1.5 years of towing my Coachmen Clipper 17BH, so I have a pretty good idea of what to expect fuel economy wise.

I restrict my speeds to around 60mph and let the 8 speed do it's thing. I really don't know my mpg on flat land as I'm always driving through the Rockies.

Here's my stats:
Tow Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/5.7 V8
TT: 2014 Coachmen Clipper 17BH
Mileage for last weeks 1400km trip: 12.1mpg (19.5 L/100KM)

I'd love to see what the new Ecodiesels are putting out for real world TT towing mileage.

well, got back from a longer trip a week ago, numbers were quite different.

Obviously, I was expecting lower as my first numbers were just me (driver) and nearly empty TT. Trip was 1000 miles each way, 2 passengers and 3 dogs. Numbers were around 10.5 mpg. I checked nearly every time we filled up. It was also a lot more mountainous than my usual Midwest drives (drove to Vermont).

Question for you KFC: does your Jeep have a Tow/Haul button to shut off overdrive? I had overdrive off most of the trip, as it felt like initially the transmission was working a lot. I'm guessing this affected my MPGs as well.
2010 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4
2016 Coachman Clipper 17BH

KFCCaravan
Explorer
Explorer
danimal53 wrote:
got some hard numbers of my own. very short ride, I'll see better after the upcoming 1,000mi trip.

Most of the drive I had overdrive OFF, though this seemed unnecessary. My max speed was about 60mph (maybe a little more when passing) but a lot of the drive was a construction zone, so was around 45-50mph.

today's drive:

Hi Danimal,

Your the first fellow Clipper 17BH owner I've ever seen quoting mileage so I find your numbers intriguing.

I've put over 4000km in 1.5 years of towing my Coachmen Clipper 17BH, so I have a pretty good idea of what to expect fuel economy wise.

I restrict my speeds to around 60mph and let the 8 speed do it's thing. I really don't know my mpg on flat land as I'm always driving through the Rockies.

Here's my stats:
Tow Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/5.7 V8
TT: 2014 Coachmen Clipper 17BH
Mileage for last weeks 1400km trip: 12.1mpg (19.5 L/100KM)

I'd love to see what the new Ecodiesels are putting out for real world TT towing mileage.

johncsmith427
Explorer
Explorer
We get about 10mpg in our '13 Fleetwood Bounder.
Sites I follow:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRTQUJWAFkzsxNbFriAZnYAhttps://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRTQUJWAFkzsxNbFriAZnYA
http://www.rvcovers.com/

danimal53
Explorer
Explorer

today's drive:

2010 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4
2016 Coachman Clipper 17BH

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
Slow down, smaller egg type TT, switch to a Pop-up; those are the big mileage boosters. They are also the least likely to happen.

The reason for my original post was to advise the newcomer that regardless of the hype they may hear, it 10 mpg plus or minus a bit.

If you own a TT for any length of time, you know there is no magic gas mileage bullet.

Slowmover
Explorer
Explorer
bedpan wrote:
Interesting thread... Thanks OP for the breakdown of the initial numbers.

. I could find nothing concrete that would put the $$'s back in my pocket. Unless someone can point out some other mod's that will pay for themselves?

Tow Vehicle is a 13 F-150 FX4 SCREW 3.5Eco with Max Tow package.
Trailer is a Starcraft 18BH - 3500# fully loaded

Cheers,

Mike

I did that for you in my previous post.

At the then cost of diesel I found 5000-miles of free fuel by changing habits in solo/DD use. Keep records and chart your progress. Cut cold starts, extraneous miles and drive the fewer annual miles at a higher level of skill.
1990 35' SILVER STREAK Sterling, 9k GVWR
2004 DODGE RAM 2WD 305/555 ISB, QC SRW LB NV-5600, 9k GVWR
Hensley Arrow; 11-cpm solo, 17-cpm towing fuel cost

bedpan
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting thread... Thanks OP for the breakdown of the initial numbers.

I am looking at an 8000mi summer this year and next. Bought a 18' just for these trips. Towing right now getting in and around 11-12MPG had pondered some snake oil to improve on the numbers..

Takes quite a bit to make it worth while. I had briefly pondered cold air returns, chips, cat-backs etc... I could find nothing concrete that would put the $$'s back in my pocket. So the truck is still stock as it will most likely remain. Unless someone can point out some other mod's that will pay for themselves?

Tow Vehicle is a 13 F-150 FX4 SCREW 3.5Eco with Max Tow package.
Trailer is a Starcraft 18BH - 3500# fully loaded

Cheers,

Mike

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
I have driven truck too long and I drive 67. I am usually driving around 700 miles a day to get to Ok from Va. Leaving for Tn Thursday night and will do 350 miles then go to bed and do the rest Friday. Fuel mileage is dependent on a formula called Brake Specific fuel Consumption. Look it up, it's accurate as we use it on airplanes every day. You can only get so much horsepower out of a gallon of fuel.

MegaWonder
Explorer
Explorer
For us, we discovered quite by accident by adding an efficient vehicle to the house hold thereby parking until needed the diesel, would put diesel fuel in the tank from the significant savings gained by using a 100% Electric vehicle for the main work commuter over 96mile round trip per day work commuter. Savings from fuel either gas or diesel..a lot less maintance..no oil/filterchanges, no transmission flushes, no fuel filter less brake wear,etc..etc So far only tire rotations, windshield washer fluid and inspections for brake wear (regenerator braking saves the brakes) and inspect cabin air filter.

I know its not a mod to tow vehicle or trailer but having the deal we got on the EV vehicle even after cost involved..payment, insurance, electricity cost actually saves us enough to put in fuel budget if you will. Works for our family maybe not for others.
2010 EVERGREEN EVERLITE 31RLS

2010 RAM 3500 SRW MEGA CAB 4X4 with 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel Auto, 3.73 gears

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
HECK WITH IT ALL....when the guage that say E, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, F.....gets to that 1/2 mark... I think about it. At 1/4 I find someone to give a $100.00 bill to.

Watching the display go up and down---coasting --- WEEEEEEE getting 30 mpg, OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I hit the throttle, getting 5 mpg.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGG.:Z

EDIT: Ram 1500 Hemi with 3500# TT. I normal drive speed limit or slightly over. Average 11 mpg pulling the TT. I said it was boring to watch and worry, I never said I didn't re-set the trip meter..:B It is my daily drive (typical 5 mile commute) averaging right at 14 mpg overall--- 11,000 miles since I bought it.

Corignani
Explorer
Explorer
I just pulled 3000 miles out west and back with my hemi 1500 I have a 25' outback that weighed approx. 6800lbs I got between 8-9 mpg. my travel companion has a new 2500 cummins and was getting between 12-13 mpg. takes along time to make up 8000 for the diesel. I had a 2004 gmc 2500 6.0 gas engine that was horrible so I put a tuner on it and cold air intake and true duals and it still sucked. My experience tells me leave a base engine alone if you want to go longer between stops buy a diesel.

EcoBullet
Explorer
Explorer
I am in the 300 mile/day 60mph group that gets about 10mpg and I'm OK with that. I wish it were better, but it ain't!;)

Today, I went to pick up the trailer from the dealer after a warranty refrigerator replacement. This is a 90 mile drive each way and includes going over 2 mountain ridges from about 500 ft at the bottom up to 2000 ft at the top. I thought it would be interesting to check mileage from bottom to top, and again from top to bottom. On the 4 mile climb up: 4 mpg -- On a descent of about 5 miles: 28 mpg -- Average for the 90 miles ended up, you guessed it: 10 mpg

Great economy or not, I love the way that Ecoboost pulls. Going up hill I could have easily accelerated too fast for the turns, and it seldom got above 2500 rpms, nice and quiet. :C
Me 1954, Nana 1954, Grandson 2003, Granddaughters 2005 & 2008
2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2013 F-150 XLT Supercrew 4X4 Ecoboost Max Tow

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is true that 50 to 55 mph does give your mileage a significant boost. For free.

However, when I tell non-RV people that 250 to 300 mile per day is a good average, they have a hard time believing that. Then if I add driving at 55 to 60 mph to increase gas mileage they just shake their heads.

To drift a bit off topic, I think it is safe to say from the response so far that the average RVer,
โ€ข Does not worry about a mile or two more per gallon. It is a small portion of the total cost.
โ€ข Is not a Marathon driver, expecting about 250 to 300 mile per day. I have pushed harder to reach a known destination and set up.
โ€ข Will drive 65 mph or less. I will admit I have seen a many exceptions.

I could be all wrong here and just looking at it from an old manโ€™s perspective.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I have very little concern for what my MPG are. I drive passively and just fill the tank when empty. 1 or 2 mpg either way just has no effect on my overall plans.
I purchased my RV to use it and I use it as much as possible. That is how I get the most value out of my RV. MPG's are secondary. I'm not going to park RV or alter my plans over MPG's.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637