cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Has anyone successfully cleaned the foam beds?

sillynikki
Explorer
Explorer
I took the covers off and they are in the wash. Yuck they were so gross! My parents 5 greyhounds slept on the one side and they smelled very doggy and were filthy.

The foam still smells. Has anyone successfully washed them in a mild bleach or detergent wash? I have a steam cleaner so I can suck a lot of the water out and lay them in the sun to dry. It's very hot and sunny here today.

I just wanted to check before I do anything that may damage them completely.

*Hmmm...I just read that bleach can eat away at the foam. Is that true?*
Just sold 38' Coachman Catalina
Ford F250
Kia Soul
10 REPLIES 10

xteacher
Explorer
Explorer
In the future, you could try using an enzyme cleaner such as Nature's Miracle on the foam to see if that works. It's good for all types of pet smells, urine, etc. It neutralizes odor.
Beth and Joe
Camping Buddies: Maddie (maltese/westie?), Kramer (chi/terrier?), and Lido (yellow lab)

2017 Keystone Bullet 248RKS
2014 Aliner Expedition Off Road
2013 Ram 1500 HEMI

sillynikki
Explorer
Explorer
We actually have them hanging from the fence so the air can get both sides. Plus, the sun is shining on them. We kept them standing up all night and yes, the majority of the water is towards one end. We're just keeping them so that the water continues to migrate down towards that end.

Maybe they'll be dry in 2 weeks. Otherwise, we will just use air mattresses until we get new foam mattresses.
Ford F250
Kia Soul

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
Put them in the sun and place them vertically on concrete so water will migrate to the bottom. Turn them occasionally so both sides get exposed to the sun. The concrete is porous so it will help pull the water out. This will surely take several days with your mattresses.
Currently Between RVs

sillynikki
Explorer
Explorer
Francesca Knowles wrote:
I washed my 4 inch thick cushions in the bathtub once, and they took FOREVER to dry. (In August) In fact, almost a month later I was sitting in the trailer on one cushion that hadn't been sat on since washed. I suddenly had a sort of "creeping wetness" sensation...guess what? That puppy was STILL wet!

If you do this, I recommend that you put the wet cushion down on the ground with a board over it and run over it with your car to squeeze as much of the water out as possible.

I am NOT kidding...

Um yeah. I think we will do that because that water is sealed into that mattress.
:S

My steam cleaner had a VERY hard time rolling across the foam, so that wasn't very successful. We had them sitting out in the sun for hours and they are still wet. Oh well. I wanted to give this a try before replacing them. They at least smell good for the time being! Hopefully we can get them dry before they begin to stink again.

I'm going out right now and am going to use the gas powered leaf blower on them.
Ford F250
Kia Soul

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
I washed my 4 inch thick cushions in the bathtub once, and they took FOREVER to dry. (In August) In fact, almost a month later I was sitting in the trailer on one cushion that hadn't been sat on since washed. I suddenly had a sort of "creeping wetness" sensation...guess what? That puppy was STILL wet!

If you do this, I recommend that you put the wet cushion down on the ground with a board over it and run over it with your car to squeeze as much of the water out as possible.

I am NOT kidding...
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

sillynikki
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks y'all! I'm going to give it a try cleaning them. It sure can't hurt anything because I am NOT sleeping on them the way they smell. I'll let you know how they turn out.
Ford F250
Kia Soul

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
I rebuilt one and put the foam on the driveway and poured detergent mixed with water. Walking in bare feet I gave them a good cleaning and they came out great.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
My dog lay on a couch for several years. I finally took the foam cushions off one at a time and put them in the tub with laundry detergent. I walked around on them for a while until the color of the water in the tub seemed to stabilize. I squeezed the water out and did the procedure several times until the water no longer got very dirty. So it was wash & rinse, wash & rinse, etc. This saved my cushions but if I had a way to get new cushions the proper size that would have been the way to go.
Currently Between RVs

mark5w
Explorer
Explorer
No bleach. Try the steam cleaner, let dry and spray with Fabreze. Good luck.
'13 2018 JAYCO EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS- '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Might be best to replace.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman