cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

HD trucks

bigfink
Explorer
Explorer
Opinion, I am looking to buy a new truck, it will be used most of the time for daily driving, however I do pull a 8, 000 lb 5th wheel about once every 2 months. I would like the torque of the diesel for hill climbing, don't want to be the last one up the hill. Which is the better truck, Ford, Chevy or dodge? Or is there a gas engine out there that will give me the torque I desire, thanks for your feedback.

Mark F.
23 REPLIES 23

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you're buying new, the news is good. There's really no bad choice out there between Ford, GM, and Ram, gas or diesel. Pickuptrucks.com did a couple good comparison tests lately that show how each brand performs, and which ones THEY liked best. See "Challenges" at the top of THIS PAGE.

They all have different "personalities". Go drive them, price them out, then decide what fits your budget and more importantly, which one YOU like best. After all, you have to live with your purchase.
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

96Bounder30E
Explorer II
Explorer II
Moved from Tech Issues
Eric
96 Bounder 30E-F53(460)
stock Ford intake w/K&N air filter
used Thorley headers
new Banks resonator, muffler, tail pipe and 4" polished SS exhaust tip

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Welcome to RV.net

I would get 3500/350 SRW. They are all good brands.

Maybe poke around in "Tow Vehicles" forum for many endless discussions comparing the trucks.

64thunderbolt
Explorer II
Explorer II
everyone has a favorite. All the new ones are good. Diesel will give you more power, longer life but maint & repairs are more expensive. My thought on this is if I did not need a diesel to tow my trailer comfortably in the mtns I would not own one for the reasons I stated. An oil change @ home doing it myself is around $100. Go drive them and pic one. Biggest issue is where do you tow? what terrain? then decide if the added cost of a diesel will be worth it to you. The bump from gas to diesel is quite a bit. But trade or sale value down the road will be better so just do what will work for you and don't let any of us here make YOUR decision. Good luck & enjoy your new ride.
Glen
04 Tail gator XT 34' 5th wheel garage model
200w solar 2 GC2's 800w inv
Truma tankless WH
99 F350 CC DRW 7.3 ais intake, adrenaline hpop, JW valve body,
cooling mist water inj, DP tunes, 4" exh sys
trucool trans cooler added
2011 RZR 900xp

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
my Brother in law would not buy his diesel until they gave him the go ahead to tow his TT up cabbage hill in eastern Oregon. the diesel did great and he bought it. some thing to think about.

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like the new Ram 2500 or 3500 with the 6.4 Hemi.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
bobcouch wrote:
MEXICOWANDERER just gave you the best advice you're going to get. Of course, what he said (and what I'm writing) is just an opinion.
X2, go drive them all and pick one. Of course, others will be along to tell why you shouldn't buy a particular truck.

bobcouch
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER just gave you the best advice you're going to get. Of course, what he said (and what I'm writing) is just an opinion.
Bob and Honey Couch
2008 Keystone Everest
2007 Dodge MegaCab w/ 5.9 Cummins
http://boggythicket.blogspot.com/

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Which political party, which religion, shaken or stirred? On this forum, which battery, which solar setup, what kind of aftermarket heater? You encourage an avalanche of opinions.

You would do well to test drive diesel pickups of equal weight. Note the acceleration and power yourself, and not rely on opinions. Having more gears to choose from is IMHO citical. Ford, Chevy and Dodge all have powerful engines these days. Are not other aspects of individual makes and models just as important?

I, personally, would no more rely on an internet forum opinion to select a motor vehicle than I would to select an opinion of who to vote for --------- just saying