cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

HELP!! Need advice-Chrysler Aspen/Manufacturer Issue

dslc6487
Explorer
Explorer
I need some advice from all of you Durango and Aspen owners that have had a problem with the fuel splash back on fill up. I have a 2008 Aspen and I took it to the dealer today to have the airbag recall fixed and also to have the gas splash fixed. He said he could replace my airbag but my vehicle did not fall under the splash back issue. So, he replaced my air bag and we had a rather heated discussion about the splash back issue but it was of no avail to me. He did not address it. And, my vehicle definitely has the splash back issue. His reasoning is as follows: I am not the original owner. I am the third owner. It has no extended warranty on it. The Aspens that did fall under the dealer fix for the gas splash in the 2008 year were manufactured from Feb. 1 thru April 1. My Aspen was manufactured in June of 2008, so no fix according to him. While he was fixing my airbag, I called Chrysler Corp. and the rep gave me the same answer. I told her that my vehicle did have the problem and that this really did xxxx. She agreed with me but said there was nothing that she could do about it. Is there any other option. Do any of you out there have any recall, spec letter, or any information that can help me get my splash back problem fixed, or am I going to have to add gas just a quart at the time. I live in Georgia and went to Five Star Warner Robins Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram Dealership. Does anyone know of another dealer in Georgia that may can help me with this problem. I will gladly drive there. Any help and advice that you can give to me will be GREATLY appreciated.
14 REPLIES 14

dslc6487
Explorer
Explorer
Update on fuel splash back problem: Got a call from my dealer on Tuesday and my service rep. told me that he had contacted ChryslerCares and for me to bring my vehicle in at my convenience. Chrysler had agreed to cover the cost of a diagnostic test and if it confirmed that I did have a splash back problem, they would cover the cost of the diagnostic test and the cost of the fix for my vehicle. Carried Aspen in on Tuesday afternoon. My dealer did the diagnostic test and confirmed that I did have the splash back problem. Picked up Aspen today around noon, and first place I headed was a gas station. PROBLEM SOLVED...
AND, thanks, to my dealer and to Chrysler for hearing my concern and repairing my vehicle.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
A TSB is not a recall. it is a Technical Service Bulletin. they are released as a help to techs in fixing an issue. That does not mean that Chrysler will pay. yes some TSB`s can pertain to other models, but you don`t know for certain if it will fix the same issue on your car. The part in the TSB may work on your SUV, but only the Chrysler will know or a very smart tech that knows the product very well.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

dslc6487
Explorer
Explorer
I don't feel like I am "owed" anything. What I had in my possession when I went to the dealer was a copy of the TSB that Biscuit has in this post. Back up and read it if you will. It specifically says 2008 Aspens. That is what I have. The Service Rep went to his computer and pulled up the info on my particular Vin number. The recall was for Aspens manufactured from Feb 1 thru April 1, 2008. My Aspen was manufactured in June. It does not state the dates involved anywhere on the TSB, It simply says 2008, so I was under the impression that ALL 2008 Aspens were covered. After the Service Rep explained this to me, I was wrong to "question" him any further and continue to push my point. The "fix" is a complete replacement of the gas tank, not just the filler tube, according to the rep and i do not have the money right now to do this. Hey, I will live with the problem. I have done all that I can do at this point in time. I have filed a complaint with the NHTSA. I will live with the problem. I will let my Aspen run down to close to empty and then slowly put in about 10 gallons of gas. No problem. I am retired and have the time. Other than the splash back problem, I LOVE my Aspen.

Thanks to those that have offered constructive advice and criticism to me on this issue. I appreciate it. As I: mentioned, I feel that I have done all that i can do on the issue at this point in time. Please honor my request, if you will, and lets just drop the subject at this point in time. Thank you

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
So what is the issue? Chrysler won't fix your 8 year old car for free? Have them install a new fill tube, save the receipt incase they issue a recall for your SUV, then you can get reimbursed! I can't believe you would be willing to live with fuel splash back when filling just because you think you are owed something!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
dslc6487 wrote:
Old Biscuit: Any ideas how far down spout I should run 3/8 tubing? All the way to bottom of tank, right at top of tank, half way down spout, trial and error. Really don't have any idea.
Have filed report with NHTSA.

Just inside top of tank....
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

dslc6487
Explorer
Explorer
Rickeoni: I appreciate all of the input that I have received on my original post from every one. I understand that the dealership cannot fix my car if the manufacturer says that it does not fall under the guidelines of their call back. I have purchased 3 vehicles from them: used Dodge Ram truck and 2 new vans, one for each of my 2 daughters. Yes, they have done all of the service work on all of these vehicles. And, no, back when I was working, I did not work for free. I worked for 37 years as an engineer prior to having to go out on disability from injuries I received from fighting in the jungles of Vietnam. And, no, they do not work for free either, nor do I expect them to. And, you say their are 3 sides to every story. I beg to disagree. If there had been 15 people standing around during our discussion, you would probably get 15 different answers, thereby having 15 different sides of the story. In this case, yes, there was 3 sides: mine, the Service Rep. and my wife. Talk to all of us separate and you will get 3 different stories.
Yes, I made a mistake by getting somewhat "heated" when I had documentation that, to me, seemed to say that my car would fall under the call back. Evidently, it did not. At that point, I should have dropped the subject and followed up with Chrysler Corp if I wanted to pursue it any further. My bad, I made a mistake. I should not have taken out my anger on the Service Rep. Does this answer all of your questions. You can reply if you want, but you will get any other response from me. My personal life in none of your business.

rickeoni
Explorer
Explorer
Do they do all of your service work as well?
Do you work for free?
Not trying to offend, just being devils advocate here, as there are three sides to every story.
2008 F450
2007 Adventurer 85WS
2012 Haulmark "The Garage"
2016 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak 26 RKS

dslc6487
Explorer
Explorer
Did go to dealership to get recall fixed. Your assumptions are wrong. Have bought my second and last vehicle from this dealership

rickeoni
Explorer
Explorer
dslc6487 wrote:
Old Biscuit: Any ideas how far down spout I should run 3/8 tubing? All the way to bottom of tank, right at top of tank, half way down spout, trial and error. Really don't have any idea.

Heated discussion, my bad, just should have left dealership

It is not the fault of the dealership, they are just doing what they can get reimbursed for. My guess is you only went to the dealership for the recall, and have all your work done elsewhere.
2008 F450
2007 Adventurer 85WS
2012 Haulmark "The Garage"
2016 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak 26 RKS

dslc6487
Explorer
Explorer

Heated discussion, my bad, just should have left dealership

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
1. Getting into a "heated discussion" with the person who has the power to help you or dismiss your concern is not wise.
2. If your vehicle does not fall under the parameters of the recall, you can ask for a "goodwill" adjustment for the repair costs. (If you engaged in less than friendly conversations with the dealer or manufacturer, are the third owner of the vehicle, and have not been a faithful customer of the dealer or the manufacturer, you may not have much "goodwill" to cash in.)
3. You can file a complaint with National Highway Transportation Safety Board.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
I agree. Unfortunately unless the manufacturer identifies your particular vehicle as eligible for the recall fix, you cannot get it fixed that way.

I had a Datsun years ago that had this issue. I would have a problem, take it to the dealer for fixing. There was would no recall or known defect. I'd have to pay for the repair out of pocket. Three to six months later, i'd get the recall notice. But they wouldn't reimburse me for the repair cost because the repair was made before the problem was identified as a defect. Happened about 3 or 4 times before I dumped the car.

There should be a place online where you can report the issue. If enough people with your manufacturing specs report the same problem, it could force them to see it as a continued defect.

But, if the car is a 2008 and the backsplash issue is just coming up, then it could be difficult to try to prove it's a defect and not standard wear and tear.

As old biscuit recommends check the filler hose for sags, etc. It could simply be caused by a strap coming loose.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Followup info.........

Chrysler Assistance Center at the numbers listed below.

800-992-1997 U.S.
800-465-2001 Canada

TSB
NUMBER: 14-001-12
GROUP: Fuel System
DATE: January 20, 2012

SUBJECT:
Fuel Spit Back During Refueling Due To Faulty Inlet Check Valve X39 (Unlimited Time And Mileage Warranty Extension)
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves replacing the fuel filler tube if the condition occurs.
MODELS:
2006 - 2008 (HB) Durango
2007 - 2008 (HG) Aspen
NOTE: This Extended Warranty Bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a naturally aspirated gasoline engines.
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Some customers may experience a fuel spit back condition during a refueling event.
DIAGNOSIS:
If the customer experiences the symptom/condition, proceed to the repair procedure.
PARTS REQUIRED:
Qty. Part No. Description
AR (1) CNNZX390AA Tube, Fuel Filler
(4) 6500911 Rivet, Splash Shield Attaching

NUMBER: 14-001-12
GROUP: Fuel System
DATE: January 20, 2012
POLICY:
Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.
NOTE: Vehicles included in this Service Bulletin have a lifetime coverage - Unlimited Time and Mileage warranty for this repair.
See Warranty Bulletins;
U.S. D-12-07,
Canada SAB 2012-03,
International ID-12-02
or Mexico BG-01-12
for details associated with the extended warranty.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Did you ask dealer what was involved in the FIX and how much would it cost to have it done?

Your vehicle did not 'qualify' due to its build date therefore it does not 'officially' have a problem.

Until your vehicle is included by MFG. you can not force the FIX for free from any dealer.
So find out what the FIX is and do it your self or pay to have it done.

In mean time take a 3/8 clear tube long enough to reach gas tank......slide it down fill tube and then place gas nozzle next to it and fill up.
tube will provide additional venting and may stop the splash back

Faulty inlet check valve is issue......not closing causing tank pressure to blow back