cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP!! Wheelchair carrier hitched to TT???

ai_woodworking
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all. I'm a newb to RVing, and the forum. I have 15+ years experience towing automobiles as well as some experience with towing TTs. I have been recently diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (M.S.) and intermittently require the use of my power wheel chair. I'm having difficulty deciding how to transport my chair. I have concerns using my hitch mounted "tilt ramp" wheelchair carrier on the REAR of my 28', dual axle TT. Both weight balancing concerns as well as bottoming out on driveways, dips, etc. Carrying it in the bed of my truck is an option, though the 360lbs the chair weighs (EMPTY weight) is also concerning bringing it down a potentially unsteady and HEAVY ramps (I have limited Mobility and strength also due to the M.S.). Any thoughts, or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. I'm 37 years old and find myself in INVOLUNTARY retirement due to this GD DISEASE! Therefore, I have an EXTREMEMLY LIMITED budget. If anyone can share their experience with a hitch mounted, extra storage "shelf" (can't think of the item's name) on the rear of a TT, I'd appreciate it.
Dave Allen
NOTHING to it but to DO IT!
21 REPLIES 21

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
ai.woodworking wrote:
Hello all. I'm a newb to RVing, and the forum. I have 15+ years experience towing automobiles as well as some experience with towing TTs. I have been recently diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (M.S.) and intermittently require the use of my power wheel chair. I'm having difficulty deciding how to transport my chair. I have concerns using my hitch mounted "tilt ramp" wheelchair carrier on the REAR of my 28', dual axle TT. Both weight balancing concerns as well as bottoming out on driveways, dips, etc. Carrying it in the bed of my truck is an option, though the 360lbs the chair weighs (EMPTY weight) is also concerning bringing it down a potentially unsteady and HEAVY ramps (I have limited Mobility and strength also due to the M.S.). Any thoughts, or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. I'm 37 years old and find myself in INVOLUNTARY retirement due to this GD DISEASE! Therefore, I have an EXTREMEMLY LIMITED budget. If anyone can share their experience with a hitch mounted, extra storage "shelf" (can't think of the item's name) on the rear of a TT, I'd appreciate it.

While the heaviest duty power WC can weigh 350 to 400lbs the normal every day ones are in the 150 to 250 lbs range. I would recommend installing a front receiver and getting a folding platform with ramp to transport your wheelchair. Both front receivers and the better platforms can hold up to 500lbs, but I would limit your weight to around 1/2 of that. I typically carry my ECV which with batteries weights around 175lbs with a front receiver and platform/ramp system on my Van.

With a pickup and a non 5er RV I think the best and easiest system would be an in bed power lift. It might not be the cheapest, but IMO when dealing with issues like this you will find cost is not the real driving or most important factor.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Burb's winch/ramp idea seems like the most promising for a low cost fix.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
I'm gonna suggest you go back to the harbor freight catalog (or another site) and look at the mobility chair carrier with the ramp, and then front mount it on your truck. Mod # 67599 price is $169.
Hope it helps.

ai_woodworking
Explorer
Explorer
GrandpaKip wrote:
Maybe a used Tommy Lift for the back of your truck.
Good luck to you from a fellow woodworker.
Thank you, Kip! Woodworking/custom cabinetry is a dying art. People can buy complete cabinets from China for LESS THAN the cost of my materials! Don't get me started! Haha
Dave Allen

GrandpaKip
Explorer II
Explorer II
Maybe a used Tommy Lift for the back of your truck.
Good luck to you from a fellow woodworker.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

ai_woodworking
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
Nothing embarrassing at all. I understand where your coming from. Just thought ide throw it out there. You probably wouldn't want a. Newer one anyway then. The build quality of your older one is far better than the junk thrown together today.

And nothing wrong with full timing within your means. Just be prepared for out of pocket expenses.

Good luck!
True. I'm already discovering the fuel costs are likely to be HUGE (propane/gasoline for my gene - dual fuel) On a side note, do you, or anyone else have thoughts on a decent, inexpensive deep cycle batt? There are SOOO many opinions and schools of thought. I just need something for lights, electric landing gear and charge a phone or two. And, I've read that my 7 way flat will charge the batt while tow vehicle is operating. Correct? ('07 F-250) I've read multiple opinions: I need to add relays and fuses under hood and others say, "ready to go from Ford"? So confusing! And, I'm trting to avoid any "dealer work" for financial reasons.
Dave Allen

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nothing embarrassing at all. I understand where your coming from. Just thought ide throw it out there. You probably wouldn't want a. Newer one anyway then. The build quality of your older one is far better than the junk thrown together today.

And nothing wrong with full timing within your means. Just be prepared for out of pocket expenses.

Good luck!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

ai_woodworking
Explorer
Explorer
BurbMan wrote:
360 lbs on the back of the TT is not impossible...some TTs have 18+% of their weight on the tongue due to their design, and a little weight behind the axles actually helps. If you want to find out go have the rig weighed and calculate the tongue weight, or use a Sherline scale under the tongue.

I will say that it's unlikely that you will able to lighten your tongue by that much. Also, you will need some serious frame fabrications to make a strong enough platform on the back of the TT, and that's IF the TT frame is strong enough to carry that extra weight that far behind the axles.

I also don't know if I would carry that much weight on a front hitch. Not to mention that a big appliance like that will obstruct vision, headlight, and be a giant bug collector.

I think your best option is the truck bed, using a winch.

(Click on pics for links)

Add this folding aluminum ramp:

I would mount the hitch to the front of the truck bed and use it to pull the scooter up into the bed. For unloading, the winch has load-holding ability, I would use the winch to lower the chair down the ramp slowly.

This is probably the least expensive solution and also gives you the best load carrying option.
Morning BURBMAN. Another fantastic idea! I already have ramps similar to those pictured in your post, except mine are steel 😞 But I love the idea of a winch. It would have OTHER great uses in addition to my chair! I hunt, (IF possible with my MS. Symptoms sometimes change LITERALLY DAILY!) So the winch would come in handy to hoist up a harvested animal. I LOVE IT! And, may I say, I've been absolutely astonished by both the great ideas and TREMENDOUSLY quick response times from you all! Thank you SO much!! I'm VERY happy I joined this forum! A heartfelt thanks to you all again!!

Dave
Dave Allen

ai_woodworking
Explorer
Explorer
zigzagrv wrote:
First of all, welcome to the forum. Secondly, no need to apologize for or be embarrassed by your financial or physical problems. Most of us have been there, done that. I admire your desire and fortitude to continue on regardless of your condition.

Now, on to the problem of the wheel chair. I have a friend who uses the crane in his pickup. Though somewhat disabled, he is still able to operate the crane to load/unload his motorized wheelchair himself. I think this is the best option. The next problem is scraping up the $500 to purchase one. May I suggest a GoFundMe?

Best of luck!
Good Morning, Ron. You're absolutely right. I shouldn't be apologizing. At the risk of starting a therapy session here (haha), I'm still in my "acceptance" phase. Being healthy as an Ox for 34 years, then suddenly having the body and mind of a 104 year old (no offense intended towards any 104 year old persons out there! :-D) is EXTRAORDINARILY difficult. As for the Gofundme, I don't think I could do that. Respectfully, it feels like digital panhandling, ya know? I'm making some inquiries to the National MS Society in an attempt to find a job that can help accommodate my condition. Which was hard enough! (mentally/emotionally) Also, the MS Society has a grant program that I may apply for that's intended for situations like this (i.e. special transportation needs.) Thanks you VERY much for the kind words, Ron. Have a great day, and hope to see you on the road! 🙂
Dave Allen

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
360 lbs on the back of the TT is not impossible...some TTs have 18+% of their weight on the tongue due to their design, and a little weight behind the axles actually helps. If you want to find out go have the rig weighed and calculate the tongue weight, or use a Sherline scale under the tongue.

I will say that it's unlikely that you will able to lighten your tongue by that much. Also, you will need some serious frame fabrications to make a strong enough platform on the back of the TT, and that's IF the TT frame is strong enough to carry that extra weight that far behind the axles.

I also don't know if I would carry that much weight on a front hitch. Not to mention that a big appliance like that will obstruct vision, headlight, and be a giant bug collector.

I think your best option is the truck bed, using a winch.

(Click on pics for links)

Add this folding aluminum ramp:

I would mount the hitch to the front of the truck bed and use it to pull the scooter up into the bed. For unloading, the winch has load-holding ability, I would use the winch to lower the chair down the ramp slowly.

This is probably the least expensive solution and also gives you the best load carrying option.

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
First of all, welcome to the forum. Secondly, no need to apologize for or be embarrassed by your financial or physical problems. Most of us have been there, done that. I admire your desire and fortitude to continue on regardless of your condition.

Now, on to the problem of the wheel chair. I have a friend who uses the crane in his pickup. Though somewhat disabled, he is still able to operate the crane to load/unload his motorized wheelchair himself. I think this is the best option. The next problem is scraping up the $500 to purchase one. May I suggest a GoFundMe?

Best of luck!

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

ai_woodworking
Explorer
Explorer
*not
Dave Allen

ai_woodworking
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
They make Toy haulers with a smaller front mounted side loading garage. Maybe it would be affordable to trade into one of those.
I was originally and exclusively looking for a toy hauler. But found NOTHING "livable" in my tiny price range. Also, for the record, I'm actually going FULL TIME in it. Ot much choice really. Another embarrassing but bit of info 😮
Dave Allen

ai_woodworking
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
They make Toy haulers with a smaller front mounted side loading garage. Maybe it would be affordable to trade into one of those.
I'm somewhat embarrassed to say my TT is a 1983 Komfort. (That's why I didn't put it in my profile. Haha) I picked it up at an amazing price from the single owner, retired gentleman who took unbelievably amazing care of it. It was garaged for 31 of it's 34 years, but I still think I'd be hard pressed to get anything close enough ($$$) to purchase or trade for a Toy Hauler. Right? (Again, newbie here. Ha!) But from months of searching on craigslist and other sites, I don't think it's a reality. Plus, I've already thrown about $1,000 in repairs into it. Those nickels and dimes REALLY add up!
Dave Allen