cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help with Battery Terminal corrosion and why

Blueboat
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe some one could help, my battery cables corroded and broke off the battery clamps on my Jeep, lots of green corrosion around the cable clamps (terminals) and cables. 2 things 1 I installed a wench on the front of my jeep and hooked the cables to the end of the bolts that go through the clamps that go around the battery posts. 2 nd I tow my Jeep behind my dodge pick up with the camper on and the jeep steering column will only unlock the steering wheel if the ignition is in the run position so I can tow the Jeep.
2009 Dodge Cummins 3500 LB 4X4 SRW
2010 811 Arctic Fox.
19 REPLIES 19

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
On the towing issue, when I flat tow my Ranger on the tow bar, I disconnect the battery, since it also needs the key in the run position to keep the steering column from locking.

I use a seperate, portable towing light system that connects directly to the truck I tow the Ranger with, so the Ranger does not need any battery power going to it's own lights while being towed.
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

DaButcher
Explorer
Explorer
A old school trick that works good with mild cases of corrosion is to silicone pennies to the top of the battery. Corrosion will take the path of least resistance. I had success with this method on my old 99 F250 that had corrosion eating the battery hold downs.
2021 Freelander 31MB Class C

NRA Life Member

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
I would cleanbthe terminals well. I use wire plumbing brush they use for copper pipe. Then use electrical grease on connectors.

Sloop_Smitten
Explorer
Explorer
Adding on to what Donn offered, acid corrosion is almost always related to outgassing while charging due to micro-fissures around the cell caps and battery posts caused by vibration over time or, in the usual case with a Jeep, due to excessive vibrations due to off road use. You can reduce it by rubbing some grease on the post, and around the post, but in the long run rough use, or time, will eventually result in microfissures leading to an accumulation of corrosion. This is why older batteries corrode more than newer batteries. To me the presence of excessive corrosion is a tell-tale sign the battery is nearing end-of-life.
1992 Fleetwood Jamboree Rallye 24' M/H
Ford E350 Chassis, 7.5L Engine, E40D Transmission
My other motorhome is a 1978 Catalina 25 Sailboat
Cruising Califonia, Sailing the Pacific!

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Corrosion is always caused by battery acid. Whether by direct contact or by battery off gassing. IF you have that much damage, then your battery is discharging really heavy amp loads. In other words boiling the liquid as it is discharging. To help prevent damage in the future, apply a liberal amount of grease when you put things together.