cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hensley or....

eipo
Explorer
Explorer
With the purchase of our 35' (OAL) trailer, I am curious if a non top of the line hitch will prove satisfactory? It isn't abnormally tongue heavy for the truck, but will certainly benefit from sway elimination.

What are the top contenders below Hensley or ProPride?
71 REPLIES 71

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
I tow with a Hensley after previously using a basic wd hitch with sway bar, then an Equil-I-zer. The Hensley is night and day the best hitch I have used and I will never go back to another lesser hitch. I have the same truck and similar length tt.

The Pro Pride is basically the same hitch, same principals, slight design tweaks. The one benefit is that the stinger is adjustable.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

Xflyhighx
Explorer
Explorer
ProPride is the way to go. No complaints and excellent support. I pull a 39' jayco...338rets-2014
2019 Cedar Creek Champagne 38EL
TrailAir Pin Box
Hensley TS3 trailer saver
2017 Laramie Longhorn 4x4 dually
14' Porta-bote
Honda 3000is or 2 Honda 2000โ€™s
Life is good in the good old USA

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
eipo wrote:
With the purchase of our 35' (OAL) trailer, I am curious if a non top of the line hitch will prove satisfactory? It isn't abnormally tongue heavy for the truck, but will certainly benefit from sway elimination.

What's your tow vehicle? I'm guessing one of those whiz bang hitches would be more important on lighter tow vehicles.

I had good luck with the Reese Dual Cam hitch/sway control. I was impressed with the sway control against road wind and the wind from 18 wheeler trucks.

ArticFox_676
Explorer
Explorer
Hensley has a hitch for smaller trailers. I believe it is called the cub. We have had a Hensley since 2002 and wouldn't tow without it. All it takes is one emergency stop and it paid for itself. Add the price of the TV and TT. What percent is the cost of the hitch for safe towing?

eipo
Explorer
Explorer
2016 Ram 2500, 6.4, 3.73.

I think I can get buy with a GOOD wd/sway hitch, but the Over All Length of the trailer is pushing me to want the higher end sway control.

SprinklerMan
Explorer
Explorer
What type of truck ?

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
eipo wrote:

What's your tow vehicle? I'm guessing one of those whiz bang hitches would be more important on lighter tow vehicles.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
CampingN.C. wrote:
Forgive me, what is a "OAL" trailer?

Probably Over All Length.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
CampingN.C. wrote:

I think it's Over All Length
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

CampingN_C_
Explorer
Explorer
2018 Ram 3500 DRW CCLB Aisin 4.10 4x4

2018 Jayco Talon 413T
B&W Companion

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
Equilizer (which I used previously and was very happy with), Reese Dual Cam (probably second in popularity here to the Equilizer).

Both are not unreasonable in price. Neither is as effective as Hensley or ProPride.
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

campersmd
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same question. We just ordered a 34' with 800# tongue weight.
Brief email from Propride suggested the (up to) 1400 would be best. I'm guessing because the 1200# bars might be exceeded after battery/propane/front storage filled.

I'm guessing you will get equal amounts of recommendations about equalizer/anderson/blue ox/reese, but its a really a **** shoot after the top two.