cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hitch Installation

Charley67
Explorer
Explorer
I have just purchased a 2009 3500 DWR Dodge diesel 4x4. I'm going to buy a used 5er. My truck came with a B&W gooseneck hitch, which I don't need. My question is, will that hitch need to be removed before I can install a regular 5er hitch? BTW, this my first post. I've lurked here for quite a while.
18 REPLIES 18

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Before you go to a gooseneck hitch on your 5ver search this forum. Lots of posts. Gooseneck mods can void your warranty. It can also damage your 5ver frame. Do the research first. I would remove the gooseneck hitch. When I had a 5ver my hitch was mounted on rails so I couod swap out for gooseneck or 5ver hitch. gooseneck hitches are great for sturdy framed horse and stock trailers. Not so much for the weaker framed 5ver RVs. JMHO

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
You are ready are set up for a good hitch.....just get the 5th wheel part
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

The_Mad_Norsky
Explorer
Explorer
If it has the B & W Turnover Ball hitch already in place, then just get the B & W fifth wheel hitch that is made for that application.

AFAIK, from reading here, folks are quite pleased with that hitch. American made, good quality.

Here's a link to the B & W page for their Companion hitches: Companion Hitch from B & W.
The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD LE Wet Bath
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

Greene728
Explorer
Explorer
Use the gooseneck hitch you already have instead of taking it out and then turning around and installing bed rails. Check out the highly recommended B&W Companion or the Anderson Ultimate. Both utilize your existing gooseneck for 5th wheel hitches. Then when removed there is nothing intruding on your bed space.
2011 Crossroads Cruiser 29BHS ( Traded )
2017 Grand Design 303RLS ( Sold )
Currently camperless ( Just taking a break )
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 4x4 6.0 and 4:10’s
Me and the wife and our two daughters. Life's good!