cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hitch question

Go_Dogs
Explorer
Explorer
Need some advice. Traded Suburban for 3500 Chevy Express,(Regular length). We have about a 3 inch drop from the driveway to the street, very slight crown to driveway surface. The hitch receiver on the van is mounted right under the bumper. The WDH would have scraped the driveway. We turned it around and put the ball in the highest position. Haven't tried it yet this morning,( did it a million times during my 'sleep'). The question: If the WDH is still not high enough, what options/costs can I consider?
11 REPLIES 11

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
carringb wrote:

Watch out. The larger drop shanks sometimes are only rated as a drop, and can't be flipped like the standard size can.

I thought we were talking about only using this to get into the driveway, if so I wouldn't be worried about capacity. I have one large 8 or 12 inch drop and it said not to use in the "up" position.
bumpy

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
Hit the drive at an angle. No problem TEMPORARILY turning the hitch upside down but that's a LOT of work to do twice every time you enter or leave the drive way. Remember, you'll have to also remove the ball and re-install it on the correct side of the stinger each time. Chances are pretty good that with the nose eight inches higher you may be draging the tail instead of the hitch. Angled entry and exit is a better solution.
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
If it still won't clear with the change in hitch height, your options vary from lifting the van, to changing coupler style to an "underhung" coupler. Also going from Round bar to Trunnion weight distribution will give some extra inches of clearance.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
sch911 wrote:
Go Dogs wrote:
We already have the drop shank on the WDH, with the ball in the highest position.

They make these shanks in larger sizes also. But I suspect it's the bottom of the shank that hits?

Watch out. The larger drop shanks sometimes are only rated as a drop, and can't be flipped like the standard size can.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Pauljdav
Explorer
Explorer
I have a curb to go over and my trailer sits nose down while in my driveway. If I use the weight distribution I have no issue. If I do not use it I will drag the hitch.

Paul

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Go Dogs wrote:
We already have the drop shank on the WDH, with the ball in the highest position.

They make these shanks in larger sizes also. But I suspect it's the bottom of the shank that hits?
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

Go_Dogs
Explorer
Explorer

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lay a 2x4 across the "dip" to raise the hitch 2", maybe?
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
How about using a Drop Shank

OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

Go_Dogs
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I should add that the TT is at the front end of the driveway. When we had the Burb, we could just hitch and go, (with the WDH).

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
if you are just talking about getting it into the driveway, you could easily remove the WDH stinger, put a standard tow bar with whatever lift you want/need and tow that into the driveway. you could even use an extension to get it away from the van if necessary.
bumpy