cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hitch whining

ssemalone
Explorer
Explorer
On this trip the hitch started to whine, I tow a 23 foot TT with a chevy Tahoe and the hitch started whining and moaning on this trip especially when turning, but you can hear it on some bumpy areas in parks???? not sure what is going on I have a E2 round bar hitch with built in sway control, love the hitch works great easy to load and unload bars.. Just wondering about the whining and squealing
20 REPLIES 20

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
My Equal-I-zer makes a heck of a racket groaning and popping at slow speeds. Perfectly normal.

Mine used to do that until I greased it. After that ... quiet. The groaning and creaking comes back so best to carry grease around.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
My Equal-I-zer makes a heck of a racket groaning and popping at slow speeds. Perfectly normal.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Redleg171
Explorer
Explorer
352 wrote:
Thank your lucky stars. This has got to be better than the old lady whining and squealing. Put a little lubrication to it and all will be fine.

Yeah they tend to squeal if not properly lubed. Hitches also.
1995 F-250 XLT, 7.5L V8, Super Cab, long bed
2004 F-150 FX4, 5.4L V8, Super Cab, short bed
2006 Salem LE 27BH

Explorer
Explorer
Thank your lucky stars. This has got to be better than the old lady whining and squealing. Put a little lubrication to it and all will be fine.
The manatees of Halls river Homosassa Springs Fl

1985 Chevy Silverado c10. 454 stroker / 495 CI = 675 HP. 650lb of torque. Turb0 400 tranny. 3000 stall converter. Aluminum heads. 3 inch exhaust flowmasters. 2 inch headers. Heat and air. Tubed.

Bigbird65
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds to me like the anti sway bar might be too tight and is making that noise. Loosen it just a bit. Actually the noise doesn't hurt anything unless it is a lack of grease on the equalizer bars.
2017 RAM 1500 Quad Cab 5.7L Hemi, 8 speed 3.21
2018 Winnebago Minnie 2250DS

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
When's the last the hitch setup was greased? Most such joints get pretty dusty and grease breaks down really fast.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien