cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Holding tanks in cold weather

bedell
Explorer
Explorer
Should grey and black tanks be completely drained for the winter or do you leave some liquids in them? I have read that the black tank especially should not be allowed to sit totally dry for for long periods of time. How serious would it be if there was some freezing in those tanks?
21 REPLIES 21

Uplander
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with it all with the exception of the hot water tank...that I just drain and forget it (it is on a by-pass system and no antifreeze is required or needed once it is drained).

pdmac1946
Explorer
Explorer
The pink stuff in the holding tanks helps to keep the gate seals lubed. I like it in my whole system. Pipes and waste holding tanks. I also run a little in my drained
hot water tank. I flushes out easily.

Coalminer_UG
Explorer
Explorer
Just a note. All the pink stuff will freeze at certain temps. The good thing is the stuff does NOT expand and break lines etc. Only stuff to use in your rv.
Ches

Served In Canadian Army 1PPCLI

Retired Underground Coal Miner (Gen Foreman)

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
BillyW wrote:
EYEMAN3561 wrote:
Is it best to have PG antifreeze left standing in the toilet for the sake of the seal?
I always do. I can't see how it could be harmful, but it's easy to imagine the seal being ruined by drying out.
I need to start doing this.

For the OP I recommend drain the tanks completely and split a gallon between the tanks, traps and toilet.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
EYEMAN3561 wrote:
Is it best to have PG antifreeze left standing in the toilet for the sake of the seal?
I always do. I can't see how it could be harmful, but it's easy to imagine the seal being ruined by drying out.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Drain and leave dry, air won't freeze. If the tank is reasonably clean, drying won't harm a thing. If you leave a pile of waste in there it could be a problem, so don't.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

EYEMAN3561
Explorer
Explorer

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
brownieab wrote:
Use the pink stuff, the drain valves need to stay wet or the seals will leak later

But be aware that there are two types of "pink stuff". One is alcohol based and one is propylene glycol based. The ethanol stuff can cause damage to seals and a bad taste and odor in your lines when you de-winterize and should only be used with PEX and Quest piping. The PG type will do the opposite of the ethanol version - it will help to extend the life of seals.

The PG type can apparently be re-cycled stuff though (see article) so be wary of what you buy. Walmart supposedly carries the virgin stuff (I haven't checked). Look for "virgin" on the label such as this Starbrite brand. I think Prestone also makes it.

The ethanol type is cheaper which may entice you to buy it. I saw some anti-freeze at Home Depot yesterday for a good price and thought I would buy some until I saw that it has ethanol.

http://www.rvlife.com/columns/tech-tips/4015-techtipsrv-antifreeze-not-all-the-same.html

http://mainecamperdealer.com/what-you-need-to-know-about-rv-anti-freeze/

FWIW, the pink stuff is available in a -100F burst temp. rating rather than -50F. I read reports of some owners having damage to their piping from the brutally cold and long last winter so getting the lower rating might be extra insurance.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
dadmomh wrote:
BWT....just a question.....doesn't the blue car window washer stuff freeze?? Otherwise, why do they sell Winter Anti Freeze and sometimes the blue stuff in my car won't work until the engine warms the area. Just wondering.
I haven't seen it freeze in the tank, but it does on the windshield for sure. If it froze in the tank and expanded like water, I think we'd hear a lot more about it.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Use the pink stuff that is intended for this purpose vs something modified that may or may not be such a great idea. You'll be in for about $10 for 3 gallons and that should be more than enough. When you add the pink stuff to the toilet and flush once, you'll have liquid in the black tank then, so any residue on the bottom won't completely dry out. Some folks swear they can do the job with 1 gallon....we usually overkill with 2 1/2 - 3 gallons, but we're darned sure it's protected.

BWT....just a question.....doesn't the blue car window washer stuff freeze?? Otherwise, why do they sell Winter Anti Freeze and sometimes the blue stuff in my car won't work until the engine warms the area. Just wondering.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

legolas
Explorer
Explorer
MitchF150 wrote:
I"m pretty sure JK was just talking about putting the windshield fluid in the holding tanks ONLY.. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Mitch
First, folks need to know what they are doing/talking about before they give advice, Second, they need to be real clear when they give advice as to what they are saying. Third, windshield washer fluid is toxic....why get it anywhere near your rv....if you are winterizing properly using the pink stuff the issue is already resolved. No need for anything else.

GrandpaKip
Explorer II
Explorer II
wilcamp wrote:
I pour some RV antifreeze in each of the sink/shower drains, to fill the P-traps and run some into the gray-water tank(s). Another gallon goes down the toilet. I don't worry about the cost of RV antifreeze vs. blue windshield washer fluid, this is an affordable insurance policy against the cost of potential damage from freezing/thawing. This is part of the assumed cost of RV ownership and the protection of our investment in this form of recreation.

This is what I do. Just good insurance.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

brownieab
Explorer
Explorer
Use the pink stuff, the drain valves need to stay wet or the seals will leak later

tglazier
Explorer
Explorer
When you put the pink stuff RV antifreeze in your into your water lines, enough will flow down the drains into your holding tanks. The real danger with freezing are the water lines since they have limited expansion capability. A holding tank with a little bit of water in it has a whole lot of expansion capability.
Retired USAF living in the Pacific NW USA
2014 Trail-Lite Crossover 200S