cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Honda or Yamaha (2) 2000 Watt generators parallel together

Charm
Explorer
Explorer
I have l5,000 btu air conditioner on our rv. Went to Nascar race last week and saw alot of rvs with (2) 2000 watt generators parallel together. Talked to several people who were very pleased with the set up. Can run one just for lights etc. and start up second generator to power the air conditioner when needed. I forgot to ask the people I talked with if they had a 13.5 or a 15m btu. I talked to Honda and Yamaha directly and they will not guarantee that the generators can handle the amps needed to start the 15 m btu air conditioner. I'm hoping someone reading this forum might know or have the same situation. We are using a very noisy and heavy generator but wanting to change. Thanks!
21 REPLIES 21

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
While I'm not a big fan of Honda's gens, a recent test run by a buddy and I showed that the Honda has a lot better surge capacity than the Yami. The difference was dramatic.
He ended up selling it on fleabay and is looking at getting something else.

rcmiller32
Explorer
Explorer
I run the 15,0000 BTU with two 2000 watt Yamaha units. I also added a hard start capacitor to the AC unit. This made it easier for the two Yamahas to start it on eco mode.
2014 Coachmen Pursuit 31BDP
2016 Ford C-Max Energi
Member FROG, FMCA, Life Member Good Sam Club, Member Coachmen Owners Association

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi TIn,

I have the Yamaha 3000 sIEB. It struggled in Cranbrook, BC Elevation, 921 m (3,021 ft) to start a 13500 btu ducted Dometic. Granted the genny had less than 20 hours on it. It purportedly does a 500 boost over the 2800 VA.

Since I got the hybrid inverter ($1700.00 including the remote from Imarine), I can run the generator in eco mode and start the air conditioner easily. Although I have not tried it, my opinion is that with the hybrid inverter a single 2k inverter genny would be enough to run a 13500 btu air unit, using the load support feature of the inverter.

The hybrid inverter is useful in a host of other ways--for example I can "dial it down" to the maximum 23 amps that the Yamaha can provide, or I can limit it to 15 amps if I'm on a standard wall outlet at some one's home. No more worries about blowing a breaker and knocking on their door for a "reset".

One of my pet peeves is that the genny makers advertise VA instead of real honest to goodness watts. The inverter folks are in the same (leaky) boat.

TInmania wrote:
What I would like is to have that built into the inverter generator. Yamaha makes (or made) one and I believe it just uses the internal starting battery that gets coupled to the inverter to increase amperage for about 10 seconds. They only did it on a 3000 watt model but I wouldn't mind having it on something a little lighter.

I'd even be happy with a couple of terminals to attach my own battery.

The hybrid inverters I have seen for RVs are nice but more than I need and cost as much as another 2kw inverter generator.

Mike
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

TInmania
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:

Another route is to get a hybrid inverter that will support the start up load.

What I would like is to have that built into the inverter generator. Yamaha makes (or made) one and I believe it just uses the internal starting battery that gets coupled to the inverter to increase amperage for about 10 seconds. They only did it on a 3000 watt model but I wouldn't mind having it on something a little lighter.

I'd even be happy with a couple of terminals to attach my own battery.

The hybrid inverters I have seen for RVs are nice but more than I need and cost as much as another 2kw inverter generator.

Mike

krobbe
Explorer
Explorer
Yes. 2 honda 2000's will do it.
Me'62, DW'67, DS'04, DD'07
'03 Chevy Suburban 2500LT 4WD Vortec8.1L 4L85-E 3.73 CurtClassV
'09 BulletPremier295BHS 33'4" 7200#Loaded 1100#Tongue Equal-i-zerHitch Tires:Kumho857
Pics

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 15,000 BTU A'C unit and I use 2 Honda 2000i when we need the A/C. If no A/C is needed then only one Honda 2000i is used.

It's a great setup and relatively quiet. You can carry on a conversation standing right next to them.

I used to have a 6500 watt generator and when I started it up, campers in sites on either side of us would go inside their RVs.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Charm,

Yes, it is possible to run just one for lights and etc.

Quite a bit depends on the altitude at which the camping is done. The higher, the less load the genny can support.

Another route is to get a hybrid inverter that will support the start up load.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.