Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Honda2000 in an Onan compartment

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hey guys.

Any one on here know if a Honda E2000 will fit in the compartment of a TC, that has one for an optional Onan. Without to Onan in there, of course.
Also, does anyone run their Honda while in that compartment? If so, added a plug so you don't have to pull the shore power cord over to it?
(If I was being specific, I'm thinking of a BF 10.4 or 10.6 or N.Lite 10-2)
*Though my thinking is compartment size. I suppose I should ask about door size as the Onan might have been "built in" and the door is only for access.....:S
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.
39 REPLIES 39

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kayteg1 wrote:
Looks like you got blind eye on " near open windows or doors" recommendation.
It is always one of those hot topics, twin to fueling with running flame under refrigerator and you are not the 1st one with "direct vision".
Point is that you always hear from people who got away with the procedure, but never from those who failed.
Your choice where you want to go with it.
HERE is the link to propane conversion seller. You need to enter your specific generator model to get proper fit.

No, no. I get that part. Having the door and windows to the camper closed is a given, at least for me. But there are those that don't get that, so I'd hesitate to say "common" sense. :W
Still, my interest was in running it in the cabinet. Once I decide which camper is going to be the winner, I'll do some measuring.
Thanks for the conversion kit link. I'll check it out for interest but going to stick with gas as it suits my over all use better.
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
srschang wrote:
Our new Northstar TC has a cabinet specifically for a Honda or similar generator. It has an electric "inlet" wired into the cabinet, I made a short jumper extension cord from the genny to the "inlet". It also has a propane line plumbed into the compartment if you want to convert your genny to propane. And the best part, it has a MORryde sliding tray to slide the genny outside to fuel, start, & run!
The door to the compartment has a big vented section, I guess to let the genny cool down after you stop it and put it away. The door is also hinged at the top so it acts as an awning in bad weather.

Thanks SRS! That sound like a nice unit and nice arrangement to have come with the camper! I looked them up and only found them in the US and @ $600 US ($800 CAN), I'd have to hand in my welding torch if I didn't fab one up myself :W
Thanks for your post!

Dirtdauber60
Explorer
Explorer
When I get thru with Hurricane Hanna restoration I'll post some pictures of a 4000w remote start Champion inverter generator mounted in my generator compartment. Remote mounted fuel tank and exhaust extended out of compartment and routed under camper to other side. Works like a dream. Quieter than the Genercrap and no fumes.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bert the Welder wrote:

Thanks Jim.
Was the plywood try to raise the floor of the cabinet up to get it at the level of the bottom lip, allowing for ease of sliding the gen in and out? Or something else?

I have a 3/4" piece of plywood on the bottom of the compartment to clear the bottom lip. Then I have a tray of 1/4" with some edges so I can slide the generator part way out of the compartment and turn it so I can reach the pull cord. My camper is a Northstar Igloo. Northstar actually redesigned this camper so that for the new version the generator compartment would be on the other side and the pull cord would be facing out.

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
There is a big difference between a gas generator and a propane generator as far as exhaust fumes . I don't know of any camper manufacturer that installs a built in gas generator . Warehouse forklifts all use propane . Every time there is a power outage in my little rural state at least one person dies from being foolish with a portable gas generator . Think it through and good luck .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Bert the Welder wrote:
Kayteg1 wrote:
Page 7 in the manual

manual wrote:
If you run the generator in an area that is confined, or even partially
enclosed area, the air you breathe could contain a dangerous
amount of exhaust gas.
Never run your generator inside a garage, house or near open
windows or doors.

Yep. Like I said, that's not an exterior cabinet on a camper. Those are rooms in which people can be inhabiting.
Not sure why you can't see the difference?

Looks like you got blind eye on " near open windows or doors" recommendation.
It is always one of those hot topics, twin to fueling with running flame under refrigerator and you are not the 1st one with "direct vision".
Point is that you always hear from people who got away with the procedure, but never from those who failed.
Your choice where you want to go with it.
HERE is the link to propane conversion seller. You need to enter your specific generator model to get proper fit.

srschang
Nomad
Nomad
Our new Northstar TC has a cabinet specifically for a Honda or similar generator. It has an electric "inlet" wired into the cabinet, I made a short jumper extension cord from the genny to the "inlet". It also has a propane line plumbed into the compartment if you want to convert your genny to propane. And the best part, it has a MORryde sliding tray to slide the genny outside to fuel, start, & run!
The door to the compartment has a big vented section, I guess to let the genny cool down after you stop it and put it away. The door is also hinged at the top so it acts as an awning in bad weather.

2022 Ram 3500 Dually Crewcab Longbed Cummins, 2019 Northstar 12 STC

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
jaycocreek wrote:
This topic is always immuzing..My last Class C had the generator compartment and the exhaust directly under the large sliding dinette window.. The exhaust was flush with the exterior siding directly under the window..

I can't see a problem running a honda in a sealed generator compartment with the exhaust pointed away or even bedder,on a sliding tray where it comes out of the compartment partially..

But then again,there are those who believe a Wave catalytic heater will kill you even though thousands of people use them in there RV..

Thanks Jay. Both amusing and frustrating and likely part of the reason this site has go down hill so badly. It's like being stuck with my Dad and his "a guys in the Golf course locker room said...." knowledge. :S

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
This topic is always immuzing..My last Class C had the generator compartment and the exhaust directly under the large sliding dinette window.. The exhaust was flush with the exterior siding directly under the window..

I can't see a problem running a honda in a sealed generator compartment with the exhaust pointed away or even bedder,on a sliding tray where it comes out of the compartment partially..

But then again,there are those who believe a Wave catalytic heater will kill you even though thousands of people use them in there RV..
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kayteg1 wrote:
Page 7 in the manual

manual wrote:
amount of exhaust gas.
windows or doors.

Yep. Like I said, that's not an exterior cabinet on a camper. Those are rooms in which people can be inhabiting.
Not sure why you can't see the difference?

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kayteg1 wrote:
srschang wrote:
I looked at the Northern Light website, and there's a picture of a Honda generator in the generator compartment with the exhaust pointing out of the compartment. Looks like it's hooked to a propane line in the compartment.

https://northern-lite.com/10-2excd-se-dry/

This one? I will not comment on gas tanks next to furnace exhaust.

The hose could be anything. Propane conversion kits come with huge diaphragm and I don't see it, so it is probably just a hose in the compartment. Doesn't look like generator could be started in this position anyway.
In my years of RVing I heard enough about deaths due owners hacking, or neglecting generator use, so would I be doing gasoline generator in camper compartment, it would have to have Venturi exhaust over the roof.
I will not ask you to try and report back as that might not apply after the try.

What is the concern regarding the furnace exhaust? I don't think that configuration could remotely be considered an ignition hazard if you are referring to hot air/exhaust exiting the furnace, and rising straight up and the fuel inside the Honda unit.

The hose could be anything. But doubtful it's water or oil. So that leaves fuel or air. I didn't know these could run on propane, as there's no mention in the manual. So I'd assume that it's a different unit to the ones that are gas driven. It does look attached to the unit, though hard to tell for a 100% certainty in a photo. But if N.Lite is using it in their advertising, it would be a reasonable assumption it's not some DIY rigged up job.
Air seems unreasonable as there not a lot of volume that could be drawn through that size hose, unless fed by a compressor or air cylinder, both of which are pretty unlikely.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Page 7 in the manual

manual wrote:
amount of exhaust gas.
windows or doors.

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
bighatnohorse wrote:
There's lots of good information about using the Honda in a compartment in the Owner's Manual.
You might want to read it sometime:
http://cdn.powerequipment.honda.com/pe/pdf/manuals/31Z07610.pdf

I have read it, thank you. And just went through it twice again. I'm pretty dyslexic so perhaps you could be so kind as to point out where it speaks to operating in a cabinet?
I could only find reference to using in an enclosed space. This would likely be in reference to something like a room that people are in, like a home or garage or the living space of a camper.

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
srschang wrote:
I looked at the Northern Light website, and there's a picture of a Honda generator in the generator compartment with the exhaust pointing out of the compartment. Looks like it's hooked to a propane line in the compartment.

https://northern-lite.com/10-2excd-se-dry/

Well there we go!!! How the he// did I miss that image! Thanks very much!
I wonder if that's only for running them on propane? I like having it run gas as I want it portable and a small gas can is easier and lighter to take along. And doesn't consume the propane that other stuff mist run on.
That's great though. Fresh eyes are good to catch what you can't see right in front of you! Thanks!

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
JimK-NY wrote:
I have no problem using my Honda 2000i in a compartment. The compartment was designed for use with a generator. It is sealed from the rest of the camper. There is a side door which must be latched open when in use. The rear door has a screen and can be closed even in use.

I did need to cut a piece of plywood and put on some edges to serve as a tray. I pull the generator partly out of the compartment for starting or adding fuel.

Thanks Jim.
Was the plywood try to raise the floor of the cabinet up to get it at the level of the bottom lip, allowing for ease of sliding the gen in and out? Or something else?