cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Host Mammoth Triple Dog Dare Challenge Report

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
This article reviews the Host Mammoth by the Host General Manager.

https://www.truckcamperadventure.com/host-industries-triple-dog-dare-challenge-report/?utm_source=ma...

Kind of a weird concept with credit to Truck Camper Magazine, but I found this version by Host pretty good. For those of you who don’t know, Host is never in Truck Camper Magazine. Host isn’t an advertiser.

The comments are also interesting. I like to read comments whenever there are any for all types of articles. Whether you agree or disagree, I find comments pretty entertaining.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member
23 REPLIES 23

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
skyhammer wrote:
I have a Host Everest that is same height, width and length as the Mammoth. I bought it direct from from Host as they didn't have any dealers at that time.
Mine weighs about 4000lbs with all my gear and 25 gallons of water. I also tow a 4500lb jet boat.
I have never traveled with full tanks, in fact I have never used the toilet. I make 3-4 trips from N. Calif. to the Bend area each year.The route I take is 90% 2 lane steep curvy roads.
The handles everything just fine, don't even notice the semis passing by.
All my tanks are in the basement, while the Mammoth has their tanks in the slides.
My 2011 Ford DRW is plenty of truck(400hp, 800lbs. torque). My payload is 4900lbs. Newer F-350 DRW's have even more power and payload.

Fresh water and grey water tanks are in the basement. Black water tank is in the drivers slide.
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

Bedlam
pnichols wrote:
I'm not a TC owner -> I own a Class C 24 footer on an E450 dually chassis, but:

The Host TC photos seem to indicate the same negative that I have with our motorhome ... and that is it's wind catching, upward center of gravity shifting ... HEIGHT!

That Host TC looks very tall - which of course can make for handling uneasiness on highway curves, in strong cross-winds, and on the sideways-tipped surfaces of back country roads - even when taking into account the wider rear stance of a dually chassis.

It seems to me that the ultimate design/engineering challenge would be to design a hard-sided popup TC that packed in as much as possible off-grid capability. I wonder what would result if HOST applied their considerable expertise into offering an off-grid hard-sided popup with over the top capabilities.

Most TC owners modify their trucks with heavy stabilizer bars, greater damped shocks and increased spring capacity to counter sway. Some will even upgrade to 19.5" wheels to reduce sidewall flex. If your motorhome is wallowing in the wind, you may want to take look at some of the upgrades done in this section of the forum to help counter tall COG loads.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

skyhammer
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Host Everest that is same height, width and length as the Mammoth. I bought it direct from from Host as they didn't have any dealers at that time.
Mine weighs about 4000lbs with all my gear and 25 gallons of water. I also tow a 4500lb jet boat.
I have never traveled with full tanks, in fact I have never used the toilet. I make 3-4 trips from N. Calif. to the Bend area each year.The route I take is 90% 2 lane steep curvy roads.
The handles everything just fine, don't even notice the semis passing by.
All my tanks are in the basement, while the Mammoth has their tanks in the slides.
My 2011 Ford DRW is plenty of truck(400hp, 800lbs. torque). My payload is 4900lbs. Newer F-350 DRW's have even more power and payload.
2011 Host Everest, 11.5',triple slide.
2011 F-350,DRW,CC,LWB,4X4,6.7

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
"Host is never in Truck Camper Magazine. Host isn’t an advertiser."

That just can't be! It just can't!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
The hard-sided pop-ups don't gain popularity.
I remember Alaskan makes them and when they have their enthusiast, IMHO the negatives outweigh positives for most of the owners.
Height of TC alone is not an issue. I own 2 campers, where 1 with basement is about 18" taller than the other one. They both have the same lengths and weigh difference is minimal.
My dually doesn't care about 18" higher roof. Even mpg difference is not measurable.
But bear in mind in single slide the heaviest part is water tank, what is placed in front center. When you start making 3 slides, heavy generators, 200lb of batteries - the weight goes up and on the sides, not mentioning rear and that is not helping in handling at all.
When Host might be top of the line TC, it will never become Prevost, although some might hope so.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm not a TC owner -> I own a Class C 24 footer on an E450 dually chassis, but:

The Host TC photos seem to indicate the same negative that I have with our motorhome ... and that is it's wind catching, upward center of gravity shifting ... HEIGHT!

That Host TC looks very tall - which of course can make for handling uneasiness on highway curves, in strong cross-winds, and on the sideways-tipped surfaces of back country roads - even when taking into account the wider rear stance of a dually chassis.

It seems to me that the ultimate design/engineering challenge would be to design a hard-sided popup TC that packed in as much as possible off-grid capability. I wonder what would result if HOST applied their considerable expertise into offering an off-grid hard-sided popup with over the top capabilities.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

mike_kellie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't believe anybody covered the topics of price and weight with the 3-d challenge and that includes both TCM and TCA. The challenge is to have manufacturers experience the final product and deem it worth the expense or consideration.
2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body

mike_kellie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I saw the article and also read the comments. We had the unique opportunity to by direct from Host as our camper was a consignment of sorts and got to know Randall and also met the ownership. Obviously we love our camper and have been aware of the judgments cast by TCM for years. Occasionally there would be a Host listing below their articles and I'm sure it was dealer related, not manufacturer.
The comment about weight and needing a 450-550 has been thrown about a lot but I'd be willing to bet the majority of Host campers are delivered to dealers on 350 platforms. Sure they're empty for the most part, however they are not enjoying the scenery to the destination.
2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the Host overnight report. I appreciate it and think Host makes an excellent product.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.