Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

House TP in TT?

rangerbait
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy Folks!

I have been using regular ol' Costco TP in our TT for the past several years with good results...aside from needing to make sure that the black water tank drains completely, is there anything else I need to be concerned with? I have always been able to get the entire tank drained with minimal flushing, and fail to see the necessity in RV specific poop tickets. Sway me.
2014 Heartland Trail Runner 35' TT + ProPride 3P
2012 F350 SRW Power Stroke Diesel FX4 Long Bed
Mom, Dad, and 4 Rugrats!
Monterey, Ca.
25 REPLIES 25

thirtydaZe
Nomad
Nomad
man, i've been using RV stuff for years, perhaps i'll make the switch.
2019 Jayco Eagle HT 324BHTS
2024 Ram 2500 68RFE

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
We use the cheap RV paper from Wally World. It dissolves as expected and doesn't cost any more than "real" TP.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

ddrueckh
Explorer
Explorer
We usually only go out for weekend trips and have been using Kirkland (Costco) paper. I have recently noticed that the paper does not break up. We use plenty of water, and since we normally dry camp, we have to drive to the dump station before dumping. Even after the drive, when I watch what is coming out through the clear elbow, I see the paper coming out in whole clumps. Not broken down. Also, not all of it comes out. If I refill the tank and dump again, more paper comes out. I recently tested the paper in a jar of water and it stays together really good, even after 24 hours. Because of this, we just ordered some Scotts single ply. Will report back how it compares. I do believe that some brands dissolve a lot better than others. I have never had a clog with the Costco paper, but it has taken many rinses to get it all out.
2011 Chevy Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4X4 DMax
2000 Jayco QWEST 244B

kohai
Explorer
Explorer
We just use 1 ply off-the-shelf regular Scott TP.
2014 Primetime Crusader 296BHS
2015 GMC 2500HD Denali

rangerbait
Explorer
Explorer
Well...thanks for NOT swaying me ๐Ÿ™‚

My typical breakaway procedure is to close the black water and gray water valves, run the water via the toilet into the black tank for about a quarter tank based on the tank level indicators (TLI), then open the valve and watch the contents come barreling out via the translucent 90 in my stinky slinky. I then open the gray valve and allow that water to flush the sewage hose. I may be a bit of a weirdo, but there's something slightly therapeutic about the process.
2014 Heartland Trail Runner 35' TT + ProPride 3P
2012 F350 SRW Power Stroke Diesel FX4 Long Bed
Mom, Dad, and 4 Rugrats!
Monterey, Ca.

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
Have used the same TP in this and past 5 trailers that we use at home. No problems ever. Just use lots of water.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some RV TP does NOT disintegrate as you'd expect. No regs. for RV TP so a manufacturer can say whatever they want. Did the TP sample test in water once and was surprised. One Costco brand disintegrates and one doesn't. There are a few other household brands that disintegrate. Either google this or do your own testing. Most RV labelled ones are okay, but if IIRC, the Thetford TP did not disintegrate. We tested a few brands of the household stuff, found the ones that do disintegrate and kept a piece of the packaging so we'd remember for the next purchase. There's a lot of ways to get ripped off in the RV world, and "RV" TP is one of them - besides paying mafia-inspired prices, it may not even disintegrate at all.

Some say it doesn't matter and that they never have issues with any 'ol brand but I'd rather use one that does disintegrate to give the tank every advantage to clean out easier and to try and reduce false level readings. Just find the ordinary household ones that work.

Scott makes TP that they call "rapid dissolving" and they state it's "Clog Clinic tested and approved", "breaks up to 4 times faster than the leading brand" and "specially made for your RV, boat or septic system". :R Scott rapid dissolving TP What a bunch of carp... Great way to rapidly empty the $$ in your wallet.

Envirolet makes Sealand TP that is also rapid dissolving. They claim "It is designed to operate on a minimal amount of water. Tissue will not clog low water systems, unlike household tissues which often contain adhesives that prevent the tissue from breaking apart." Must be good stuff because it's endorsed by Ed Begley, Jr. :R Also in the Scott premium price range.

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
We use the TP we get from Samsclub both at home and in our rig. No issues over the last decade, but there is nothing wrong for those who prefer to use RV specific TP.

diazr2
Explorer
Explorer
I wont be able to sway you I never use the "special" TP for camping. Never have never will. Just a lot of lip service and money down the drain. I also have a head in a boat now if you think an RV toilet is hard to maintain you should try a boat head. I mean you look at that thing cross eyed and it will plug up. Never used the special TP in that either and never have had a problem with that either. Oh this guy through a cigarette butt in the head once what a nightmare that was. Very touchy those heads

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
It is nothing but marketing and profit margin. I have never used RV TP in any RV I have owned and never had an issue.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

greende
Explorer
Explorer
No, just keep doing what you're doing after you double check a few things. Some household TP will not break up in water but now many brands will. Put a sheet or two in some water in a glass jar and shake only once or twice. If the TP completely blows apart, you're good to go. If not, find a brand that does. I use a clear elbow at my dump outlet and it allows me to observe that there are no chunks of TP.
Lots of water prior to dumping is the key. I tend not to use my black tank flush but most people, I think, do. So far no problems. Others will chime in on the things that I've forgotten.

No need to use RV toilet paper unless your TP fails the jar test.
2011 Chevy 3500 HD LTZ Duramax/Allison Crew Cab Long Box DRW
B&W Turnover Ball with Companion

2012 Keystone Cougar 293 SAB 5er

USAF 1968 - 1972 Viet Nam '71 - '72