cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do dealers deal with this? (flooding issues inside)

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
Co-worker drove by a local RV place one city over and saw this mess, feel bad for them. I wonder if insurance covers this type of stuff for their inventory and even customer units onsite.

This is the place BTW - Dealer
TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7
16 REPLIES 16

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are salvage places like Bontrager's that will buy them for parts. There is a lot more than you think that is salvageable. Judging that water is halfway up the side of the trailers, things mounted up high could all be salvageable like:
-A/C units
-Microwaves
-Fantastic fans and vents
-Ceiling lights
-Top bunk mattresses if no mold growing yet

Also things not affected by water like:
-Shower units, toilets, sinks, faucets
-Holding tanks
-Windows
-Rims/tires, axles (not the brakes and bearings)
-Awnings
-Steps
-Stabilizer jacks
-Antenna
-Ladders

All can be cleaned up and sold for a few $ at a salvage yard. Probably not the fridges since the electronics are likely wet, but for sure the cooling units, inside bins, shelves, etc. Radios and TVs may still be good if above the water line in some trailers, like in a 5er bedroom.

Some are farther underwater than others in the photo, so what you can get each trailer will vary.

weathershak
Explorer
Explorer
They should be all right if all the doors and windows were closed. :W

A friend of mine works for an RV dealer which was flooded out some years ago. 30+ new units were flooded along with customer RV,s. Their insurance now has a $50,000.00 deductible.
Damaged new rigs that had insurance claims eventually went to auction. Sold as is as seen with salvage title. The units that were not claimed thru insurance.were ?????:h
Full timing it since July 2012

mooky_stinks
Explorer
Explorer
If they have titles in Canada,I would imagine they would have salvage titles after they're totaled by the insurance company.
2020 F150 XL Screw 4x4 6.5”box
3.5 ecoboost Max tow HDPP
7850 GVW. 4800 RAWR
2565 payload

2020 Cougar 29RKS 5th wheel

Caveman_Charlie
Explorer
Explorer
coolbreeze01 wrote:
Gee, what a waste. I wonder how much stuff will be salvageable? Tires, wheels, maybe some roof mounted items.

I would think nothing but the roof mount AC and the frames. The tires would be fine and you could use the axels, wheels, and hubs. Not the wheel bearings though. Propane tanks of course. That's about it.
1993 Cobra Sunrise, 20 foot Travel Trailer.

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Gee, what a waste. I wonder how much stuff will be salvageable? Tires, wheels, maybe some roof mounted items.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dealer either has insurance or faces bankruptcy. Bankruptcy has been widespread among RV dealerships in the U.S. for the past ten years, market issues as well as natural disasters.

Longer term question, what will the receiver do with those units? Most often, sell as salvage, to buyers who might try to turn them around retail.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
boosTT wrote:
They are junk, but I highly doubt they will be scrapped. Insurance company will sell them at auction.

During the floods here last year, several dealerships north of here got flooded. My neighbor went up there looking for a good deal and was told they were all heading to auction.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hey! New FEMA trailers!
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Perhaps if they have flood insurance... I haven't looked but I doubt if mine does haha...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Customers units will be covered by the customers insurance.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Mvander
Explorer
Explorer
When im in NB this summer ill stay away from any sweet rv deals i see:)
55 FEET OF FAMILY FUN!
2014 F150 HD
2015 Grey Wolf 29DSFB

boosTT
Explorer
Explorer
They are junk, but I highly doubt they will be scrapped. Insurance company will sell them at auction.

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
Oh, I can see the Craigslist ads now!
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
AirForceAngler wrote:
In my book, every one of those is total junk now. You'll be able to hear the floors rotting in them.

Absolutely! I was just curious on the insurance side.
TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7