cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How do you get a a canoe on your truck?

ADK_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
I already have a cartop carrier that will fit on my Toyota Tundra, but I can't see a practcal way to get a 17 foot 75 pound Grumman Standard canoe up there, I'm only 5' 10" and my wife is even shorter; the cab roof is considearably higher. Any suggestions to easily and safely get the job done?
22 REPLIES 22

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a Yakama rack in the cab and a homemade rack on the cap.

The front rack has a tube inside that extends about three feet beyond the cab. My homemade rack has a similar extension.

With both extensions out I can set the front end of the canoe on the front rack with the other end on the ground then stand on a stool and place the other end on the back extension. Now the canoe is roof height but next to the truck.

Then I scoot it onto the roof racks and remove the extensions. It helps to have the DW handy in case I do something silly.

I also at times have a 3 foot step ladder.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Dennis_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
we use a foot stool to stand on

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
I just make my wife mad, get in the pickup bed and she picks up the first thing she can get her hands on! Easy! Make sure there are no hammers or rocks or oars...........

MWJones
Explorer
Explorer
Have wife stay in canoe. Back truck into water until the top of cab is 6 inches under water. Have wife paddle canoe to top of cab. Drive out of water to dry land. :W:B
Don't know how to get wife out of the canoe !!!
M Jones
American and Texan by birth
Christian by the Grace of God
Retired and enjoying Traveling and Camping
Spending part of summers in South Fork, Co

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
I Welded a rack together that slides into the truck bed and strap the canoe on top. If I am not pulling the RV I have a bed extender that slides into the receiver and adds several feet to the length of the bed and the canoe fits right on and is strapped down.
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

phone_man
Explorer
Explorer
windviewer wrote:
i have this for our canoe and our tundra. havent tried it yet but it was the best thing i could think of.

http://www.rhinorack.com/en-us/products/water/kayak-loaders/rhino-universal-side-loader_rusl

I had one similar to that, but it was made by Thule. Worked great for solo loading.

windviewer
Explorer
Explorer
i have this for our canoe and our tundra. havent tried it yet but it was the best thing i could think of.

http://www.rhinorack.com/en-us/products/water/kayak-loaders/rhino-universal-side-loader_rusl

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
Set one end of canoe on tailgate of truck. Get in bed of truck, wife stays on ground handling other end of canoe. You pick up end of canoe on tailgate and put on top of carrier, wife follows until she gets to truck. You then go to back of truck and maneuver canoe to the proper position on carrier. You won't be able to just lift it to where you want it to end up, you will need to slide it to get it where you want it.

To get our kayaks on pickup rack, I pick the kayak up near the middle and my wife holds the other end down to make my end go higher (I act a fulcum for lever).