cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How long can you boondock?

limbery
Explorer
Explorer
I know everyone's capacity and needs are different, but how long can you go without more water or a charge to your battery?
I have a small TT w/25gal fresh water tank and a single 12v. battery...
45 REPLIES 45

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
It also depends on comfort level. Early in the thread I stated 2 weeks and that's without conserving anything. The water would go a lot farther with sponge baths instead of daily showers, propane can be stretched by cooking over the fire or via solar cooking although we could do a hot plate off of the batteries and solar.

That leaves food. The fridge is too small to hold more than a few weeks of fresh food and after that amount of time it isn't so fresh. Some can go in the freezer but not much. that leaves dry and canned goods for the long term.

As mentioned there is a two week limit on the federal land we use so if we stayed out longer we'd replenish while we moved. We have gotten away from the conserving thing.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
I guess I should have added (if I had to) to indefinitely. Yes, I come out or my wife does every couple weeks to get mail/get gas and more pop or beer.

My trailer has a 60 gallon water tank plus I have several Sawyer water filters that are good to 1 million gallons each for creek water, if needed.

The boys go potti outside which saves allot of space in the holding tanks. Using a porta potti leaves the rv holding tanks empty. Using a catalytic heater in the winter saves propane and battery power.

Plus the dreaded once a month to pay bills.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
I'm skeptical of "indefinitely". You gotta get drinking water (or replacement filter media if you make your own), propane, and fuel for the generator (if applicable) eventually.

We can go about a week before needing water. We use solar, so unless we're in the shade we get plenty of electric without need for a generator. Two 20 lb bottles of propane last about 2 months (running the fridge and water heater). An 11 lb bottle of propane lasts about the same used just for cooking.
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

And how long is it before you have to "resupply". In the summer time I run out of fresh water sooner or later.

jaycocreek wrote:
Indefinitely... My job required me to be out in the boonies for long periods and now I get firewood to sell to keep me busy. I spend months at a time out.....

Several 50 gallon water barrels/two 100lb or 25 gallon propane tanks/porta potti and 35 gallon tote and 5 different generators/a couple inverters and lots of DVD's and 3 power boosters for cell service and the Yagi antenna.....

If a town has more than one stop light, it's too big for me.:B
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
Indefinitely... My job required me to be out in the boonies for long periods and now I get firewood to sell to keep me busy. I spend months at a time out.....

Several 50 gallon water barrels/two 100lb or 25 gallon propane tanks/porta potti and 35 gallon tote and 5 different generators/a couple inverters and lots of DVD's and 3 power boosters for cell service and the Yagi antenna.....

If a town has more than one stop light, it's too big for me.:B
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
:SI have had weeklong boondocking without power at our house. Bought 2 generators, (4) 7 gallon aquatainers, and other off the grid needs. When camping its electric or full hookups.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
I have had weeklong boondocking without power at our house. Bought 2 generators, (4) 7 gallon aquatainers, and other off the grid needs. When camping its electric or full hookups.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

Idahoan
Explorer
Explorer
Me and my 2 kids do a 7-9 day trip every year. I start running the generator to charge batteries usually at day 4. Have not had an issue with any tank capacities. I have 100 fresh 40 grey 40 black. Me and the son due use the woods for #1. We do wach cloth baths but wash hair with sprayer in tub. Always have tank capacity to spare.
2017 RAM 3500 CTD
2017 Sandstorm 286GSLR
2008 Yamaha Grizzly 450
2017 YZ250FX
2011 KTM 250XC
2013 Kawasaki KLX140

smokedummy
Explorer
Explorer
Completely stock trailer with its small tanks and single battery, 2 people, 2 days.
2012 Skyline Mountain View Retro 140, 16'.

Sunbird
Explorer
Explorer
It all depends on how much of a camel you are.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

From May to the end of September where I live, the limiting factor is fresh water. I've done six weeks--but really prefer to use a campground once per week to take on more water and dump the tanks.

I'll also "treat" myself to a hotel about once a week--and one day per week I "eat out" if there are any decent restaurants.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
45 Gallon Clean
40 Gallon Black
40 Gallon Grey

2 AGM batteries hooked up to a 160 watt solar panel.
2 propane tanks

I could probably go at least 2 weeks if I needed to.

That's if I had a couple of cases of water along for drinking.

WoodGlue
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer

Ole_Man_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
Three pronged answer.
Power... Change lights to LEDs. Limit use of lights.
Water, for consumption.
Waste disposable.

By far the easiest to control is lighting...

Unless you have Jerry Cans of water.
Unless you have a 'Rhino' to help carry off waste/grey water.
You will be limited by Black tank, Grey tank, Fresh Water tank...

bartlettj
Explorer
Explorer
I just got back from 4 days/3 nights on the Oregon Coast. 45 degrees and rainy, furnace set to 67 degrees at night but off most of the day, 4 showers, hauled grey water and fresh, so about 100 gallons of water. Two 2GC's from Costco for main batteries, 2-GP24 DEKA marine for 2000W Samlex pure sine inverter, LED lights. No real problems. GC's were down to 50% SOC by specific gravity. Used the microwave for about 15 minutes total and about 6 hours on the TV and DVD player. Didn't check the inverter batteries, I usually get about 30 minutes of microwave use before I sag the batteries too much to keep it above the inverter cutoff. I keep the inverter and house batteries separate so I have some reserve if somebody makes a mistake and leaves something on. Also, I can leave the inverter batteries home if I know I'm not going to need them.