cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How replace a window?

jefffoxsr
Explorer
Explorer
The glass on my window was shot out. The manufacturer said it's easier and cheaper to just replace the entire window, only $95 which seems really low. They will be shipping the window in a few days.

I can't find a video on how to replace a window. I'm very capable of doing mechanical repairs. This window is a standard small window with two pieces of horizontal glass where the lower section cranks open by twisting a knob?

What is the exact type of sealant to use around it?

What are all of the steps of replacing he entire window please?

Thanks.
Jeff Fox
5 REPLIES 5

jefffoxsr
Explorer
Explorer
That video is awesome thanks.
Jeff Fox

Grandpere
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a link to a you tube video on how to replace and reseal an rv window:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3cotw1F8Ww

I followed it and replaced one broken window and resealed another that was leaking.
Berniece & Russell Johnson
Lil'Bit, a Netherland Dwarf Rabbit
1987 Southwind
1995 Ford F150 Supercab

Life in the fast lane? No thanks, we will stop and smell the flowers at every opportuity

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
I had the glass replaced by a window/glass shop.

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
X2, what Bud said. It's really easy. The tape he's referring to is Butyl Tape
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Grey tacky tape is the best to use to go between the window frame and the coaches' outside wall.

If you have radius windows with the screws on the inside of the rig, remove them leaving one loose until you are ready to remove the window. When you have a helper on the outside, push hard around the edge and frame of the window from the inside. It may take some effort to break the seal loose.
Once window has been removed, clean the area around the outside. Install new tacky tape and then window. Once all screws are tight, excess putty tape has been trimmed off and you are happy, apply some sealant around the top and down side of the window.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker