cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to carry motorcycle

PRodacy
Explorer
Explorer
We've been considering getting a lightweight motorcycle ( small trail bike to use on forest service roads, et ., not a road bike) to carry on the back of the camper. Don't really want to use a trailer if we don't have to, so how about a rack that fits in the receiver hitch? (I can weld one up if I need to.) The bikes we're looking at are only a couple hundred pounds so weight is not a problem. My question is how to tie it down so it doesn't fall over. Even with a fairly wide platform it seems like straps wouldn't be far enough out to hold it, especially on the inside by the camper. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
2012 GMC 3500 dually 4x4
2006 OKanagan 90W
2003 Jeep Rubicon, modified for off road performance
17 REPLIES 17

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
When looking at carrying a motorcycle on a bumper (front or rear), it's a good idea to run some calculations to see how the weight will be distributed. There's a fairly simple worksheet that you can find here.

The "460" in the first formula is the weight of the bumper carrier so you'll need to change this number to match the weight of your carrier. If doing the calculation for a front bumper just reverse front and rear in the worksheet.

I think it was Archimedes who said "give me a long enough level and I can move the world". So remember, even a small weight at sufficient distance from the axle can really mess up the loads on the other axle changing the handling characteristics of the vehicle.

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look at the Versahaul's.

805gregg
Explorer
Explorer
Put it on the front, that way it won't block access to the camper, there are plenty of ready made receiver hitch carriers for motos
2003 Dodge Quad Cab 3500 SRW LB Cummins diesel, Banks Six Gun, Banks exhaust, Mag hytec deep trans pan, and Diff cover. Buckstop bumper, Aerotanks 55gal tank, airbags, stableloads Bigwig stabilizer, 2003 Lance 1071 camper, solar and generator