cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to REMOVE brake drum races using a shop press?

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all--

I wanted to see if anyone has a method for removing brake drum/hub bearing races from trailer brake drums using a simple shop press.

I know there are kits that use machined alum discs of various sizes to install races and seals (either with a hammer, press, and air hammer) but have never seen how to remove them using a shop press.

I know how to remove races using a brass drift and hammer. You must access race at an angle, as the race can not be hit vertically with the drift. This is what makes using a press a challenge.

So.....how can races be removed from brake drums using a shop press?

Maybe it's so simple, I can't see it or think of it!!!

Thanks!
2023 GMC, 3500HD, Crew Cab, 6.6L Gas/6 Speed Auto, 4X4, Standard Bed; SRW
2011 Outback 250RS - Anniversary Edition
Equal-i-zer 10K
19 REPLIES 19

ksbowman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I do like @eHoefler said and quick welding bead and they almost or do fall out when the weld cools and shrinks the race.

Microlite_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
QCMan wrote:
Maybe try this non existent tool
https://www.harborfreight.com/3-jaw-pilot-bearing-puller-4876.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=12144811130&campaignid=12144811130&utm_content=117789253198&adsetid=117789253198&product=4876&store=726&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3K3u7uul-QIV0WxvBB28SgqQEAQYBCABEgLoVfD_BwE
I'd rather spend the 13.00 on beer for after I finish the job using a drift... Heck, in a pinch, I have used a screwdriver.

Agree on the beer and using a screwdriver. Over the years I've actually found that a screwdriver actually got more "grip" on the race, depending on the hub.

Problem with this tool, and the bearing races they are supposed to pull, is that there is no room behind the race, where it is pressed into the hub' for it to grip.

The tool is for "Sleeve Type Bearings" where there is plenty of room for the 'fingers" to reach through and grip the EXPOSED surface of the sleeve.

Even if the fingers fit thorough the race (maybe the rear but good luck on the front), setting up the tool would take more time than a drift punch and hammer.
"Knowledge is realizing that the street is one-way, wisdom is looking both directions anyway."

~ Albert Einstein

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
QCMan wrote:
https://www.harborfreight.com/3-jaw-pilot-bearing-puller-4876.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=12144811130&campaignid=12144811130&utm_content=117789253198&adsetid=117789253198&product=4876&store=726&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3K3u7uul-QIV0WxvBB28SgqQEAQYBCABEgLoVfD_BwE
I'd rather spend the 13.00 on beer for after I finish the job using a drift... Heck, in a pinch, I have used a screwdriver.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

QCMan
Nomad III
Nomad III

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Stop overthinking. Could have popped them out in the time it took to write the question.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have a welder handy, run a bead all the way around on the race, turn it over and let cool. It will fall out, literally, it will fall out. I have built many gear boxes that have blind bearing caps, welding is the best way to remove the races with out damaging the cap.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
A hammer and a drift works great and is easier than setting it up in a press.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Vintage465
Nomad
Nomad
I knock them out with a drift and freeze the new ones and install them with the same drift once they are tapped into place with a hammer. I don't use a brass drift or a brass hammer. The races are so much harder than the drift or the hammer, you'd have to really be asleep at the wheel to do any kind of damage to a race with either.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

Microlite_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
Baja Man wrote:
Hello all--

I wanted to see if anyone has a method for removing brake drum/hub bearing races from trailer brake drums using a simple shop press.

I know there are kits that use machined alum discs of various sizes to install races and seals (either with a hammer, press, and air hammer) but have never seen how to remove them using a shop press.

I know how to remove races using a brass drift and hammer. You must access race at an angle, as the race can not be hit vertically with the drift. This is what makes using a press a challenge.

So.....how can races be removed from brake drums using a shop press?

Maybe it's so simple, I can't see it or think of it!!!

Thanks!

You listed pretty much all the reasons why it's too difficult to bother.

I've been using shop presses for over six decades and I can add a couple reasons to the list:

Shop presses are usually used to store all kinds of junk when not in use or are behind junk stored in front of them.

You have to adjust press beam to the right height.

If you don't want to bend hub/drum/disc you have to find a suitable backing device.

The action of the press is usually very slow.

By the time one gets the press cleared out/off, set up, and race pressed out (different setup for front and rear races) the average person could have all the races "punched" out of all four hubs/drums/disc's and well on their way to just installing with a proper tool (kit is about $50 or less on amazon for races and seals)

Shop presses are for gears and press on axle bearings. A waste of time for wheel bearing races.

Might be useful on large truck and off road equipment hubs but usually a portable hydraulic puller kit is more practical.
"Knowledge is realizing that the street is one-way, wisdom is looking both directions anyway."

~ Albert Einstein

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:
time2roll wrote:

The artist missed the fact the shape of hub will not let anything vertical reach the race. Driving them out, always working at angle.
OP, you might cut a bar the right length to lay on the race, then push the center.
Big races, with alloy hubs, where I fear the impact might distort the hub, I have just ran a bead in center of face. The weld will pull the race, let it just slide out.

Good idea about a bar across the race.....I'm thinking some 1/4" flat bar that is arced to fit race arc and just shy of the full width (there isn't much room between race and sides of drum....probably thousandths of an inch) of the race so doesn't scrape on sides of hub yet still fully catches race edge.

Thoughts?
Equal-i-zer 10K

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
QCMan wrote:
How about using a puller instead of pushing it. There are a lot of pullers with adapters to hook just about anything. Some auto parts stores lend them out with a deposit.

I don't believe there is a puller made to pull races from hubs where there is no direct vertical access.....That may be the reason why they are punched out with a drift...?
Equal-i-zer 10K

QCMan
Nomad III
Nomad III
How about using a puller instead of pushing it. There are a lot of pullers with adapters to hook just about anything. Some auto parts stores lend them out with a deposit.

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
JRscooby wrote:
The artist missed the fact the shape of hub will not let anything vertical reach the race.
I agree but things can vary. I am not looking at it. Even a picture may not show well due to the angles etc. If the OP thinks there is an edge to catch then will need to make or buy the tool.

Otherwise yes I would have all six drums clear by now and pressing in the new.

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
As an owner of a 30 ton press, I woudn't bother. I am sure I could rig something up, but it would be much easier and faster to just hammer them out with a drift

Curious, have you ever used your 30T press for such and activity?

I just may use a brass drift and hammer to remove....but I like to use the best and safest tools available when I can.

Thanks
Equal-i-zer 10K