cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to replace tire stud

segen77
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2001 and was replacing the tires when I broke a stud off.

Can anyone tell me how to go about replacing the stud? I also have a second one on that same wheel that will probably need to be replaced at the same time.

On a related note, what should I torque these to? It appears that the previous owner just went too tight.
Aaron Kennedy
13 REPLIES 13

segen77
Explorer
Explorer
I'm happy to report that I was able to replace everything. The most difficult part was trying to get the new studs in, but all is well with the world now.

Thanks again for all the help and advice.
Aaron Kennedy

Rookiecamper
Explorer
Explorer
Segen77, In most cases, after you remove the silver cap and the cotter pin, you will have either a castle nut (nut with a bunch of cutouts to allow for the cotter pin) or another cap type of thing that the cotter pin goes through and will keep the nut from spinning. Either way, the nut has to be removed...usually a washer underneath that also. Give the drum a couple of bumps and the bearing will start to pop out. Remove that and slide the drum off of the brake shoes. This is sometimes simple and other times a royal pain. Reassemble in reverse order. Snug the nut then back it off until you can get the cotter pin through the castle nut. Make sure everything spins OK. Good luck.
Me~Jim,58
DW~Patty, no comment

2017 Expedition
2014 Starcraft Launch 21FBS

segen77
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. Now I just need to figure out what stud size I have. 🙂
Aaron Kennedy

GaryUT
Explorer II
Explorer II
segen77 wrote:
In regard to the torque. I don't have an owners manual, and the trailer is too old to get one from the manufacturer. My torque wrench goes to 80ft lbs, so I did that, and then gave it a little extra with the tire iron. It's the best I could do for now.

I found this chart on Discount tires wab page.

Trailers & Applications Not Listed

Stud Size Torque
7/16" 80 ft-lbs
1/2" 100 ft-lbs
9/16" 140 ft-lbs
5/8" 175 ft-lbs
10mm 50 ft-lbs
12mm 100 ft-lbs
14mm 120 ft-lbs

Gary
2019 Keystone Laredo 255SRL
2009 GMC Sierra 2500 4x4 Crew cab short bed

segen77
Explorer
Explorer
I have also found this website, but I'm not sure which hub is mine.

http://www.al-ko.us/1616.htm
Aaron Kennedy

segen77
Explorer
Explorer
I appreciate all the advice.

In regard to the torque. I don't have an owners manual, and the trailer is too old to get one from the manufacturer. My torque wrench goes to 80ft lbs, so I did that, and then gave it a little extra with the tire iron. It's the best I could do for now.

As for the hub, I have placed some pictures below. The first thing I need to figure out is how to get it off. Do I just remove the silver cap in the center, and straighten the cotter pin in the middle? I don't see any thing else holding it on, but I'm guessing there has to be something. Any help on this would be great.

I did find this video, but I'm not sure if it's the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGDb83odXhU

Aaron Kennedy

galexander
Explorer
Explorer
Check your owners manual for wheel lug torque spec.'s. My manual for my Jayco says 14" tires torque to 90-120 Ft. lbs. with "clicker style" torque wrench. If you are using an impact wrench, torque to 40-50 ft. lbs.
Take the hub to an auto parts store that has a machine shop on premises and match up the stud and they should remove the old one and press the new in for you at no charge. Of course, ask first.
Good Luck
2017 Chevy Colorado ZR1 3.6L 4X4 Crew Cab
2021 Coachmen Apex Nano 191 RBS Off Grid
Tekonsha Brake Controller

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:
... or a couple washers and an old nut put on backwards and an impact wrench and pull them thru from the front.

Yup, from my days in a tire shop I replaced a lot of them that way.

If you have Dexter axles you can go on their website and look up the stud P/N's.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Hammer them all out. Take one down to NAPA etc. and match up a new one.
Hammer it in.

Probably 90-120, I go 105.

http://www.countrytrailer.com/wndisplayItem.asp?number=25

segen77
Explorer
Explorer
It's a 2001 KZ Coyote. The wheel size is 205 75 14

I think I know how to remove the hub, I'm just concerned with how to get the broken stud out. (I assume it's a press fit, and not a screw in type)
Aaron Kennedy

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
On some wheels they are press fit bolts and can be pounded out and replaced. Not sure what you have without looking.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Most you can just drive in from the back with a hammer, or a couple washers and an old nut put on backwards and an impact wrench and pull them thru from the front.
Not knowing anything about what you have no one would know the torque.

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Need to know wheel size or axle size to determine correct torque specs. This may help with replacement:
Replace studs
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand