cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to secure storage area while connected to water?

Sheepdog85
Explorer
Explorer
My city water hook up is inside my front storage area. This means I cannot lock the storage while the hose is connected.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to secure this area?

Does anyone else have this same problem?

2019 Grand Design Transcend Xplor, 265bh
2019 Grand Design Transcend Xplor 265bh
2019 Dodge Ram 3500
30 REPLIES 30

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Desert Captain wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
Lwiddis wrote:
Continuous city water hookup is dangerous IMO. Something pops when your gone and what a mess. Fill your FW tank and use the pump.

Do you turn the water off to your house when you leave? Same thing could happen. Pipes are pipes no matter where they are.

Iโ€™ll put the quality of my household plumbing up against the the most expensive RV any time. As noted houses donโ€™t encounter many potholes at highway speeds. For the record every time we leave for a night or more I do shut the water off. It takes about 10 seconds and the peace of mind is indeed priceless.

:S

I guess I been doing it wrong for the last 30 years
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Sheepdog85
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all very much. I'm embarrassed I didn't figure this out on my own.
2019 Grand Design Transcend Xplor 265bh
2019 Dodge Ram 3500

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Lwiddis wrote:
Continuous city water hookup is dangerous IMO. Something pops when your gone and what a mess. Fill your FW tank and use the pump.

There maybe a risk but I would not exaggerate and call it dangerous.
For me danger implies chance of injury.
For the most part I prefer to fill my tanks from a known source of chlorinated water. I do not want to fill my tanks with water from every CG I come across.
For the record while I realize unattended leaks do happen I have not had an issue in 15 years of RV'ing.

I turn off the water when I leave the CG for day trips etc. just as I would turn off the pump if I'm getting water from the fresh tank.

The key is turning off the water if your not around. Bad things can happen involving the fresh tank too, if there is no one around to turn the water off.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
Terryallan wrote:
Lwiddis wrote:

Do you turn the water off to your house when you leave? Same thing could happen. Pipes are pipes no matter where they are.

Iโ€™ll put the quality of my household plumbing up against the the most expensive RV any time. As noted houses donโ€™t encounter many potholes at highway speeds. For the record every time we leave for a night or more I do shut the water off. It takes about 10 seconds and the peace of mind is indeed priceless.

:S

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Terryallan wrote:

When was the last time your house hit a pothole at 60mph?
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lwiddis wrote:

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lwiddis wrote:

X2 You don't even need to fill the tank just add enough for your daily needs.

:C

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Found the hole?
Puma 30RKSS

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, you could cut a hole for the hose to go through.

You could add a second city water inlet on the exterior wall. Many campers have this. Just T into the water line somewhere after the water pump.
or
connect the exterior inlet to a short hose inside that connects to your existing inlet.

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
opnspaces wrote:
It's hard to tell, but there is a video by Grand Design about how many cases of water they can put in the front pass through. At 22 seconds into the video you can see what looks like a control panel with a hatch in the floor on the drivers side of the pass through. My guess is that is where the water hose comes through.

Link to website

Oh boy, when you go to your link and the floor plan picture below the video, at the middle top there's a "Pet Drawer". Is that where you put the dog or cat at night?

the_e-man
Explorer
Explorer
We also have a Grand Design Transcend. Not sure if it's like yours, but our water connects through the floor and into a universal docking station. There is a lever that enables you to switch from city water, where the water goes directly to the faucets, or to fill the fresh water tank. Once connected, you should be able to lock your storage compartment door. You may want to turn off water at the spigot if you will be away from your camper for any length of time.

I found the connection a bit tricky at first. I couldn't seem to secure the hose tightly enough and usually had a drip. Never a good thing to have water leaking in storage. I was also concerned with things entering the camper through the hole.

After some experimenting, I found a setup that seems to work for us. I documented it with pictures at: https://traveltrailsail.com/rv-drinking-water-safe-hose-connections/

Hope that helps.
2018 Grand Design Transcend 28MKS
2010 Ram 2500
Travel Trail Sail - Info on Travel Planning, RV Camping, Outdoor Living

Camper8251
Explorer
Explorer
Video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGouSq4884M
Shows access point in the floor...

Oops wrong model. But imagine they are same..
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 DMAX
Outdoors RV 23DBS
2008 Arctic Fox 811 - SOLD
19.5 Vision Wheels with
Toyo M608z's 225/70R19.5 14 plys rated at 3970

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Many rigs with city water connection in a compartment has an opening in the bottom to run hose through.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Enlighten me as to why the water has to be connected and you can't use the tank.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad