cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Water in Fuel? When Do You Drain the Filter?

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hi diesel noob here again LOL....so I'm considering taking the plunge and buying my first diesel, 2015 Ram 3500 with 6.7L Cummins and 81k miles.

Reading through the Diesel Supplement to the owner's manual, it says that if the "Water in Fuel" light comes on while driving, to stop immediately and drain both fuel filters, one of which is located under the truck. It occurs to me that that light is only going to come on when I'm dressed up taking DW somewhere...

Do you drain the filters periodically to prevent the light from coming on? How often is that needed? If you're on the 8-lane bypass with traffic zipping by and the light comes on, do you pull over and shut 'er down?

Thanks in advance!
44 REPLIES 44

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
4x4ord wrote:
I think periodic fuel filter changes is a waste of time and money. If you get dirty fuel the new filter will plug almost immediately.... if the fuel you get is clean your filters will last for years. Some of my diesel engines haven't seen a filter change in 15 years. I change my fuel filters if I notice a lack of power or when the fuel restriction gauge shows a problem.

Don’t tell anyone but I was learned in Fleetguard filtration school that air filters need not be changed until the restriction indicator says to change. They do a better job of filtering as they load with dirt.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
4x4ord wrote:
I think periodic fuel filter changes is a waste of time and money. If you get dirty fuel the new filter will plug almost immediately.... if the fuel you get is clean your filters will last for years. Some of my diesel engines haven't seen a filter change in 15 years. I change my fuel filters if I notice a lack of power or when the fuel restriction gauge shows a problem.

But your views on vehicle maintenance is THE reason more people buy new cars and are afraid of what they're getting in a used vehicle.

For the uninformed here, 4x basically buys a new vehicle, does the absolute minimum humanly possible to maintain it and then buys another new one before that one gets enough miles on it to have major problems due to lack of maintenance.

He's a used truck buyer's worst nightmare...
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
BurbMan,
You can pick up a load of water at any time. Like from the bottom of a gas tank that doesn't see much sales volume. If you see the light on the dash, by all means drain some fuel (and water) out of your fuel filter. Keeping the tank closer to full eliminates a lot of condensation in winter. Diesels are forgiving engines, but they don;t like water.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:

I am kind of with you on this, although I do change this 2014 Ram of mine once a year, never had a fuel light come on yet, until the wires got chaffed on the rear fuel sensor on this Ram, and every time I would go thru a rainstorm I would get the warning ,new fuel sensor , no more warnings.

My previous 99 ford Superduty , got three fuel filter changes that I can remember in nearly 16 years. Never drained the filter ,never had a water in fuel warning. To this date 22 years with a diesel truck ,and never had a warning because of bad fuel. Lucky, no idea. Have bought diesel all over the western US , and parts of Canada.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
ACZL wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"I didn't drain the separator at last oil change and all is still well"

You better drain it today or you won't sleep tonight!

Wanna bet? It's 420am EST, 1st nite back to work and eyes are not doing so well staying open. LOL

Good to hear! Build America!!!

Sorry, my post was a tad misleading. Was on vaykay last week. My work has been deemed essential and having been w/ this place for close to 30 years, was pretty safe from getting laid-off. Did drop down to 4 day work week, but still goin'.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

patperry2766
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Dennisokey wrote:
I have a 2018 Ram 2500, with it you replace both fuel filters every 15k. Go to www.Genosgarage.com for best prices on Oem filters. He does a great job explaining why you should no go with a non-oem filter on a diesel.

I like to support Geno's but the OE MOPAR filters are $85.80 on AMAZON Prime and Geno's Racor and Mopar are $108.42 with shipping of $10.52.

x2. There are some good videos on Youtube on doing it yourself. For S&G I asked at the dealership last time I was in how much to change them. Their quote was close to $300. Last change took less than an hour so I guess my time is worth $200 an hour. Wish my employer felt the same way
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've had a water in fuel light come on once. I pulled over immediately and drained the primary filter. If you get fuel with water in it there is no way of knowing how much water you got .... In the rare instances that a water in fuel light comes on I would recommend pulling over immediately. Draining your filter periodically is a waste of time in my opinion. If there is water in the filter bowl the light should be on. If there is no water in the bowl why are you draining it?
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ACZL wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Wanna bet? It's 420am EST, 1st nite back to work and eyes are not doing so well staying open. LOL

Good to hear! Build America!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dennisokey wrote:
I have a 2018 Ram 2500, with it you replace both fuel filters every 15k. Go to www.Genosgarage.com for best prices on Oem filters. He does a great job explaining why you should no go with a non-oem filter on a diesel.

I like to support Geno's but the OE MOPAR filters are $85.80 on AMAZON Prime and Geno's Racor and Mopar are $108.42 with shipping of $10.52.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
driving diesels since my 1st 99 super duty, 750K on a 60 series Detroit and never had water in the fuel.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Dennisokey
Explorer
Explorer

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
I have been driving diesels since 2001. Never had any water in the fuel. I change the filters when the truck tells me to. They last a long time.

If you ever get a WIF light.... Deal with it immeadiatly! It means you probably gt a lot of water at your last fill up. It is one of those things that hardly ever happens, but when it does, it is a big deal. Kind of like your oil light coming on. People worry about it too much though as it probably will never happen to you.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW