cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hughes autoformers

jeeperman
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone use a autoformer power regulator?
They seam to have a lot of protective features
As well as stabilizing the voltage into the coach.
16 REPLIES 16

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
cavie,

Are you saying your ems only does high and low voltage cut outs for you? Or does it do a polarity and open neutral check?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
whjco wrote:
bob213 wrote:
I use both an autoformer followed by an EMS. With more and more larger units(two or three ac units) in campgrounds, voltage goes low a lot more often than people realize. I feel like I'm protected from both low and high voltage.
I couldn't make a choice of one or the other.

I first bought a surge suppressor but found that I needed the voltage boost so I bought an Autoformer. The Autoformer I purchased has surge suppression built into the unit. I'm just curious why you're using both the Autoformer and the EMS?

Autoformer has surge protection but not EMS protection.
https://rvmentor.com/2019/11/24/ems-vs-surge-suppressor/?fbclid=IwAR3yx1bcMOia0kJcJsOT-fPluEY-jPUA-r...https://rvmentor.com/2019/11/24/ems-vs-surge-suppressor/?fbclid=IwAR3yx1bcMOia0kJcJsOT-fPluEY-jPUA-rmNUwmN0s6qLo0_1M3_i4tQ-P0
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I use an old Frank's booster. Excellent function when boost is needed.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Samsontdog,

Please describe what the EMS does for you? Thanks!
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
bob213 wrote:
I use both an autoformer followed by an EMS. With more and more larger units(two or three ac units) in campgrounds, voltage goes low a lot more often than people realize. I feel like I'm protected from both low and high voltage.

I do the same. I used the autoformer for several yrs than I bought the EMS and use both
samsontdog:o:W

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
cavie wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

I use an autoformer from Mexico (Sola Basic) that has three "layers" of boost (110, 100, 90) and one of buck (135). I use external surge only, not EMS. I do use an inverter charger that allows me to limit demand on the shore power side of the equation.

The Sola Basic is rated at 4000 VA so is just about a perfect fit for a 30 amp Rv service. They do make 50 amp units, too.

I use it in the winter time, too to let me get best performance from electric heating.

I have "tweeked" the boost to start at 113 volts. I have used it (previous to tweak) on a 100 volt shore power (that is unloaded voltage).

They are a commonly available item in Mexico, and considerably cheaper than the Hughes (which is a good unit).

Because the Autoformer boost voltage and protects from Large surges, that's all. It does not protect like the EMS does. Using both is nessessary. There is a very big differance between Surge protector and an EMS.

Yes there is a big difference, but my system has load support via the inverter/charger and better surge protection than the PD, SG or Hughes units.

EMS that does load shedding automatically is nice--but I do not need that. I'm glad you enjoy your EMS. Would you care to share what it does for you?

I have no use for the units that simply disconnect power at a voltage far too low for my comfort zone.
Regards, Don

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

I use an autoformer from Mexico (Sola Basic) that has three "layers" of boost (110, 100, 90) and one of buck (135). I use external surge only, not EMS. I do use an inverter charger that allows me to limit demand on the shore power side of the equation.

The Sola Basic is rated at 4000 VA so is just about a perfect fit for a 30 amp Rv service. They do make 50 amp units, too.

I use it in the winter time, too to let me get best performance from electric heating.

I have "tweeked" the boost to start at 113 volts. I have used it (previous to tweak) on a 100 volt shore power (that is unloaded voltage).

They are a commonly available item in Mexico, and considerably cheaper than the Hughes (which is a good unit).

Because the Autoformer boost voltage and protects from Large surges, that's all. It does not protect like the EMS does. Using both is nessessary. There is a very big differance between Surge protector and an EMS.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Regards, Don

whjco
Explorer
Explorer
bob213 wrote:

I first bought a surge suppressor but found that I needed the voltage boost so I bought an Autoformer. The Autoformer I purchased has surge suppression built into the unit. I'm just curious why you're using both the Autoformer and the EMS?
Bill J., Lexington, KY
2006 Starcraft 2500RKS 25' Travel Trailer
2015 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.7 Cummins.

whjco
Explorer
Explorer
I have an Autoformer and, so far, have only used it once but it worked great. The cable clamp nut inside the cabinet that is sealed by rivets came loose. I contacted the company and they immediately sent a Fed-Ex shipping label. It's been fixed and is on its way back. I found their Customer Service excellent. And the peace of mind that I won't be starving my AC compressor with low voltage.
Bill J., Lexington, KY
2006 Starcraft 2500RKS 25' Travel Trailer
2015 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.7 Cummins.

I use the Hughes that also has the surge protection ( RV220-50SP )... I added the hard wire hit as well so I did not have to wrestle that during set up and break down... they are NOT exactly light...

** AND ** less I have to worry about walking away
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
bob213 wrote:

I use the same setup. Would not be without.

Hughes now makes a ems unit as well but I will use what I have until it becomes unusable.
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI

jeeperman
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure it does bob213 the newer units have a lot of electrical
Components now days fireplace ect. There has to be a lot of fluctuation.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
They don't exactly stabilize the voltage, they boost it 2% or 10% as required, that is the only two outputs. They also have surge protection.