cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I assume I should pass on this PUP...

kfx216
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in the market for another PUP after selling my old one, a 2004 Rockwood Forest River HW2516G with a slideout, that was just too big and heavy for me to feel comfortable pulling in my Honda Odyssey with 2 small kids.

I REALLY want a lighter PUP with a toilet/shower and gray water tank. I found a 1995 Jayco Deluxe 1206 a few hours away from me. The woman said that the only problem is when it's closed it gets wet on one side (curtain only) but not when it's open, and they can't find the problem.

I assume I should avoid this and not bother making the 4 hour round trip to look at it. The price is $2200. Any suggestions from those who know more about these things than I do?

Thanks!
10 REPLIES 10

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
pups and hybrids were made with front decks in the 2000's. Some still are made. My favorite htt models were the starcraft w front decks. A cool KZ rockclimber HTT is out there too.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think when you see the actual weight, with all the options like bathroom and waste storage systems, the Jayco 1206 is not going to come out much lighter than your highwall. Briefly, 2013 I think, Jayco did a slideout dinette version of the lighter Jayco Sport, one model having a bathroom, one model not. About 500 pounds lighter than the regular Jay Series with similar layout.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
A little ot,
But just have to ask. Nice looking PUP.

Did it come with that deck space upfront or did you DIY it?
Pretty slick looking!

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

kfx216
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, all. Given the distance and I don't know enough of what to look for (plus I missed a lot when I bought my last PUP), I think I'll pass, especially because I won't have a garage to store it in for 6-9 months. Appreciate all the input and so quickly!!

lfloom
Explorer
Explorer
Will you be storing it in a garage? or outside?

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
When closed, the side panels & curtains would be laying on top of the beds, above the area where the roof seals to the sides. If there is a roof vent near the curtain area that she is speaking of, I'd look there for a possible leak. When open, look at the ceiling area directly above the curtain. If there is a ceiling seam in that area, a minor leak would exit that seam onto the curtain.

Is there an air conditioner on the roof ?
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
With everything tucked in when the roof is latched there really isn't anything there to leak around the roof edge seal.

This leaves the air conditioner if installed or the fantastic fan if installed roof leaks???

Maybe the roof doesn't come down level all the way around it. Might need a roof raise bar alignment... My roof has a half-inch lip that goes over the bottom sides when in the down position. No way that would leak on your unless warped out of shape. My four roof latches are spring loaded and snapped into place held with a lock lasp. You can see the lock lasp here in the photo to the left of the running light and the word STARCRAFT... One of each of the roof corners...

There is a weather seal associated with the main access door. This was a leak I had a problem with on mine where water would get inside around the bottom seal of the side access door and accumulated on the floor on the inside.

I also had weather and bugs problem with a poor designed seal that goes between the pulled out tent bed wood floor and the solid end walls of the trailer on both ends. When pulled out you could bend over and see daylight thru the seals. This seal is just behind the aluminum strip you see here between the tent bed and back wall.

I fixed that with a better design rubber seal like this cut and glued on the top of the inside end wall under the tent bed wood platform.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
I'd take a look at least. Water getting in only when it's closed up is odd. Did she say that happened when it was sitting still, or is it possible that's just when underway? If the latter, it could just be rain blow-by forcing its way in.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I would make the drive and see it in person.
It's possible they're missing something that is causing the leak.
Look and decide for yourself if it will be a problem.

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
sounds like you will spend all your time correcting their problem than camping with it.